MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TRS to 2 x TS snake. . .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author TRS to 2 x TS snake. . .
TWINSTATES
Hi All, in the interests of getting going quickly with Volta I just bought a piar of these. They have a TRS jack at one end and 2 mono TS jacs at the other end.

The guys in the shop were going to let me know whether the red or the white cable was the tip or ring. however they didn't and I forgot to ask them before I left. Is there a way of checking without electrical test equipment please?

I figure there must be, I just don't know what I am looking for.

Thanks!
1nput0utput
The easiest way would be with a continuity tester. Most multimeters have one built-in.

It's most likely that these are built for TRS stereo break-out or a 1/4" insert send/return. Typically the white plug is connected to the TRS tip and the red plug is connected to the TRS ring. (My mnemonic for it is red equals right, and the right channel is on the ring of a stereo output.)
Kent
Do you have a an Ohm-meter or Multi-meter?

If so, look for very close to Zero Ohms (no resistance) between the tip of the TRS plug and the tip of the TS plug. This should be a no-brainer.

I don't know what Volta wants or the MOTU interfaces want, but the Ring could be shorted to ground or left floating. I'm gonna vote for "shorted to the Sleeve of the TS jack".
TWINSTATES
HI,

thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I have no test equipment, no multimeter or ohm meter :(

Am going to have a think, and try R being right / ring. makes sense, thanks for that smile
1nput0utput
Like I said, a typical stereo TRS jack has the left channel on the tip and the right channel on the ring. On consumer gear, the left channel inputs or outputs are usually white and the right channel is red. Therefore, in your case, red equals ring.

If your audio interface has a stereo headphones output, connect the TRS end of your cable to that output and then play back some audio to either the left channel only or the right channel only. Connect the two TS plugs to a pair of inputs and observe the input signal indicators. I'll bet you'll see signal activity on the red TS plug when audio is playing out to the right channel of the phones output.
Kent
It doesn't matter which color goes where as long as the color is the same on both TIPs. The same holds true for Ring to Shield.

You could roll thusly:

Tip --> Red Wire --> Tip
Ring --> White Wire --> Shield
Shield --> Braided Screen Cable (or whatever it is that they are using) --> Shield.

Rawk!

-edit-

Wait a sec! This isn't for headphone outs, is it? That would be entirely another matter. I was beaten to the post. Let us know.
TWINSTATES
Thanks for the info guys.

As it goes the white ones sem to be right as the red ones give me an inverted voltage (I think this is the right expressioN) i.e. the keyboard is playing a higher register from the lower notes and vice versa. . .
1nput0utput
TWINSTATES wrote:
As it goes the white ones sem to be right as the red ones give me an inverted voltage (I think this is the right expressioN) i.e. the keyboard is playing a higher register from the lower notes and vice versa. . .

If the cable is connected to a balanced output, then the tip carries the non-inverted signal and the ring carries the inverted signal. If the signal on the red leg of the y-cable is inverted, then the cable is wired as I first explained: TRS tip to white TS tip (left), TRS ring to red TS tip (right).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1