MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Carl Thompson Basses
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Carl Thompson Basses
Kwote
I've been drooling over these for the last 2 days. I'm hooked on the style and pray I have a hope in hell of getting a nice 4 string someday.

http://ctbasses.com/

Muff Wiggler
Les Claypool has played Carl Thompson basses forever, he has some beautiful ones

gotta say though that I can't look at 4-string basses anymore unless it's an upright. Gotta go 5-string man Dead Banana
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Les Claypool has played Carl Thompson basses forever, he has some beautiful ones

that's how i came across the site.

not sure if it's just my utter newbness but i like staying in the lower range which is why i'm stuck on 4 strings right now. could change though.
Kwote
speakin of 5's though

Muff Wiggler
Kwote wrote:
i like staying in the lower range which is why i'm stuck on 4 strings right now. could change though.

yeah me to. that's why i dig my 5-string so much.... it adds a low "B" string below your standard EADG.

Some people add a high "C" instead of the low B. bah, why??? sad banana
Muff Wiggler
Kwote wrote:
speakin of 5's though

we're not worthy gorgeous
parasitk
My bass player received his Carl Thompson not too long ago. It's being used live, but we haven't had a chance to record with it yet.

It's really awesome. Great action, amazing tone. A real beast.

Babaluma
nice!

i'm a big fan of the jerzy drozd designs:

Muff Wiggler
i know they aren't all exotic and flamey spalty goodness, but I swear i'm blown the hell away by G&L basses, the L-2000 for 4-stringers and the L-2500 for 5-stringers in particular. While they are small production compared to Fender or something like that, and a great deal of it still done by hand, they aren't custom-piece exotics like Jerzy or CT basses are....

...but seriously, the featureset on L-2000/2500 is the most *perfect* I have ever seen on a bass, absolutely no compromise..... and my L-2500 is quite simply the nicest feeling, best playing, best sounding bass I've ever tried or heard, ever. And I've played on a LOT of basses over about 20 years now. Just amazing.

Mind you it sure doesn't have the looks of the stuff you guys have featured in this thread, not even close.
chromium
The piccolo bass that Stanley Clarke played on School Days was a Carl Thompson, I believe:

Amazing looking bass, parasitk! Dig that Sunn Coliseum head too SlayerBadger!

There's a Texas builder called Birdsong that makes some cool looking stuff. Styling reminds me a bit of CT, except their specialty is short scale. I'm a real slut with the scale length - got into them shorties when I had carpal tunnel, and found they're a lot of fun.

http://www.birdsongguitars.com/

I'm still strictly 4-str. Haven't bonded with any 5 or 6-ers yet. Maybe someday...
cerebrosis
i cant stand those gaudy looking things. look like a bass Liberace would play. stingray ftw. Mr. Green
xpander
i've had carl thompson's phone number in my iphone for over a year now, but i've held off the desire to pull the trigger on one. huge fan of his instruments!
Kwote
cerebrosis wrote:
i cant stand those gaudy looking things. look like a bass Liberace would play. stingray ftw. Mr. Green

you must want to get ignored. 8_)
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Kwote wrote:
i like staying in the lower range which is why i'm stuck on 4 strings right now. could change though.

yeah me to. that's why i dig my 5-string so much.... it adds a low "B" string below your standard EADG.

Some people add a high "C" instead of the low B. bah, why??? sad banana

cool to know. told you i'm a newb. heh.
Kwote
parasitk wrote:

ill. headbang
Kwote
chromium wrote:
The piccolo bass that Stanley Clarke played on School Days was a Carl Thompson, I believe:

Amazing looking bass, parasitk! Dig that Sunn Coliseum head too SlayerBadger!

There's a Texas builder called Birdsong that makes some cool looking stuff. Styling reminds me a bit of CT, except their specialty is short scale. I'm a real slut with the scale length - got into them shorties when I had carpal tunnel, and found they're a lot of fun.

http://www.birdsongguitars.com/

I'm still strictly 4-str. Haven't bonded with any 5 or 6-ers yet. Maybe someday...

werd. i just checked out that album. some real nice poppin going on.
cerebrosis
Kwote wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:

you must want to get ignored. 8_)

sorry, man
Kent

A rare picture of the 'tuning' bass player! razz hihi

I'm down with Muff on this one; G&L guitars are the shit. And I don't even own one. Played in a Rock 'n' Roll outfit with a guy with an L2000 and an Ampeg SVT stack... Dead Banana

Every G&L I've tried was so well made. This is what Leo Fender did when he left Fender & Music Man. The guitars that Fender should have been making all along. I had my Strat's neck reshaped based upon an S500 that my friend had.
Illiac
i used to drool over those when i was a little shaver. never got to play one though. now i'm stuck on good ol' j's, p's and stingrays (wouldn't kick a lakland out of bed either).
Kwote
if i could afford one sure. if not s'all right. i know someone who made his own six string that i'm sure is influenced by CT's basses. perhaps an inspired custom is the best i'll do.

seriously, i just don't get it
Muff Wiggler
what's a ballpark basic price for a CT bass anyway?
chromium
Muff Wiggler wrote:
what's a ballpark basic price for a CT bass anyway?

I think the no-frills four strings are in the low-mid 4K range, and I've seen a few listed used in the low-mid 3Ks. I actually prefer the more subdued look of those, compared to the "rainbow" exotic laminates and whatnot on their fancier models

[/img]
parasitk
I prefer the less stripey ones as well. I actually really like my friend Bret's - it's a nice dark red wood - really gorgeous. Crazy thin and light. Really an amazing instrument.

Muff Wiggler
they are absolutely beautiful, and i agree with you guys - Bret's there is one of the classiest ones i've ever seen....the understated look draws me more than the rainbow/laminate thing

i really like it when basses look like they're made out of a solid piece of wood....

i'm take-it-or-leave-it with the fancy CT curled horn, on the fancy stripey basses it's a bit much but on Bret's bass it is absolutely gorgeous love
Kwote
yeah low 4k. i'd go for a no frills bass too.

the rainbow's are in the 10k range anyway woah

but i think they're cool enough. just not really my thing.

i've been looking through a lot of pics on their site and this is one of my favorite's although it's a guitar. i dig the outline the most.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2