MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New to modular and stepping into WIARD 300 series
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New to modular and stepping into WIARD 300 series
SepticUnderground
Hello,

Just signed up here, for info/trade and fun smile

I will start with my modular adventure with a WIARD 300 series Wogglebug (well it must be shipped etc, but I have good hope this will work out fine)

I will try to fill up one 19" rack first with only WIARD 300 series and after that (or maybe in between) I will add some Serge M-Class or regular Shoppanels. (Animal Soupkitchen etc)

Hope to find some good info here, as I am a totaal noob when it comes to modular. I have experience with 'regular' synths, but the time is right for the next level.

I am looking for real HQ, flexible and non-standard gear, and Serge and Wiard seems to fill that gap. I havesome good stuff already, but its all so basic. The modular expansion will work just fine i am sure of it.
jenamu6
Is that you Septic from Synthforum?

Welcome Guinness ftw!
SepticUnderground
yeah this is the one smile

Hi BTW, its a small world after all hehe
Roycie Roller
Hi there!
Grant Richter recently posted on the Wiard yahoo group that he has at least a 1 year backlog of orders to complete. In light of that, you'd be better off to get an Animal now, and place an order for Wiard modules & be prepared for a wait. The Animal will keep you immersed in a world of sound & along with your Wogglebug, you'll have a fantastic & far reaching introduction to modular synths. The Animal may even be in stock, ready to ship immediately.
The other thing you need to be aware of is that Serge & Wiard use different jacks- Serge uses bananas & Wiard uses 3.5mm. If you plan to patch between the two, you can make banana>3.5mm cables, or adapters. You will also need to have a common ground between the two systems. Rex at Serge will explain how to do this.
Have fun!
SepticUnderground
Thanks for this info...I was aware of long delivery times (but not that long), but I will make a order indeed then, I will have a year to save for it smile

Maybe I can find some more 2nd hand modules also. But thats gonna be hard I think.

This wogglebug will be a nice addition to my moog voyager I think for the time being.

I am waiting 1,5 years for a John Bowen Solaris now, so I dont mind that too much, as long its good gear, its worth the wait.
mono-poly
Welcome to the club Sepitc!
You couldn't have choosen better i guess.
Muff Wiggler
yes, welcome Septic, and congrats!! It's a great decision you've made, and I agree with mono-poly, you'll couldn't really choose better

for me personally, the Wiard 300 is the most interesting and exciting system that's ever been produced.... be aware though if you are new to modules there will be more of a learning curve with this instrument, the power in the Wiard is that things are NOT straightforward and conventional - oscillating slope generators in place of standard EGs, a sequencer that likes to run and audio rates and can be a waveshaper, all sorts of bizarre stuff

but, if you are interested in being challenged, learning a lot and having infinite worlds to explore, I guess you are in the right place.

I have a lot of 1200-series Wiard, two rows (three if you count the controller) in my big frac setup:

And, my dream of ten years now, my 300-series system has started to take shape... Rockin' Banana!

I've had a six-module system on order with Grant (fully paid! woo hoo!) since last fall, he is estimating late-summer to deliver this to me.... this is just a preview I made stitching together a few other images:

In the meantime I have started on a second 300 series rack with some used modules (Grant didn't want to take any more orders from me 'till he's completed my system and the rest of his backlog.....) I picked up recently...

Still looking for three more modules used to complete this rack, plus the 19" 'new controller' module to use with my 300-series stuff.

I've been using modulars for about 5 years now, and really the Wiard takes it to another level. My other frac stuff is a TON of fun, but really I find I cannot compare it (with the exception of BugBrand stuff.....) to the Wiard as my other stuff is all low-level building blocks, they have been really good for me to learn with, but they are missing the complexity and flexibility of the Wiard stuff, which is just so much more interesting and inspiring to use.

Anyway, if you haven't already join the Wiard Yahoo group as there is a load of amazing reading there to help you get your mind ready for the Wiard. I've read that stuff over and over countless times preparing to get my modules, and still with only three 300 series here now, I still feel overwhelmed sometimes at how 'open' the system is and how much possibility it has, there's really nothing like this stuff.

Oh yeah, be prepared to fight with me for any used 300 series modules that come available! angry Jedi

(unless it's ones I'm not after..... actually I'm only after Mixolator, Sequantizer, Classic VCO and 19" new controller. If you see any of these for sale please let me know!!)

amazing stuff, again welcome and congrats. I've been dreaming of mine for 10 years, hope you don't have to wait as long to fill your dreams screaming goo yo
JohnLRice
Soapbox Help Muff, donate generously!! hyper
SepticUnderground
wow that are some awesome pictures.

The main reason I want the WIARD 300 series is mainly because of the non standard approach, like serge and buchla 200e, but I really love also the big size and consequent patchpointing (beneath the knobs) on all 300 series modules. And the soundquality seems to be unsurpassed by other brands...but thats also personal taste I think.

I do have the standard arsenal of synths, but this is a whole new approach to musicmaking and soundsculpting. Quite frankly, I did delay the modular path, because I am a freak by nature even on normal synths hehe...I can really lose myself just tweaking for some hours with a patch.

But I guess there is no way back no anymore smile

Well theres another hunter on the block now grin I will look out for mainly the Waveform City, Borg, Envelator, and Sequantizer. I will try to look out for the modules you specified.

I did indeed sign up at the yahoogroup razz

here are some ideas of my ambient stuff i did, but i do all kinds of styles.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/43191, sorry for spamming, dont know if thats allowed here hehe.

The 1200 Series are also neat, to say a understatement. Thanks for the warm welcome ppl.
Roycie Roller
SepticUnderground wrote:

here are some ideas of my ambient stuff i did, but i do all kinds of styles.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/43191, sorry for spamming, dont know if thats allowed here hehe.

Those recordings are really great! I love the dark horror atmospheres!
What synths are you using?
Post these in the 'Your Tunes Here' section if you like, more people will see them there.
SepticUnderground
Thx for aprreciating, I will post it in the other section aswell.

Gear that was used:

Synths:
Moog Voyager
DSI PolyEvolver
Creamware PRO12
Yamaha DX200 (replaced it by a FS1R now smile )
Roland D-50
Motif XS

and a lot of FX (all outboard )
chamomileshark
Congrats, a 19inch rack row of Wiard 300 is a big system smile Are you getting the new controller too?
SepticUnderground
chamomileshark wrote:
Congrats, a 19inch rack row of Wiard 300 is a big system smile Are you getting the new controller too?

Well its very neat and tempting, but I first want the main modules and then later on that controller maybe indeed, it looks like a awesome tool for shaping with those 2 octagons VS style joysticks.
chamomileshark
You can do an awful lot with the new controller, much more than what you could do with the EMS one (I think that was the original inspiration) or I would imagine the VS one. I've got one and I'm only starting to realise that now.
mono-poly
chamomileshark wrote:
You can do an awful lot with the new controller, much more than what you could do with the EMS one (I think that was the original inspiration) or I would imagine the VS one. I've got one and I'm only starting to realise that now.

It's inspirde by the Octave joystick controller.
chamomileshark
hmm, interesting.

"The (original) joystick was defianately inspired by the synthi and Putney" grant ricter in an e-mail to Peter forest, 2002 and quoted in the A-Z of Analalogue Synthesisers.

So you are saying the JAG part came from the Octave Voyetra? I didn't know that it had a sophisticated joystick..I thought it was one of those awful analogue under digital control things..not that I've ever seen or heard one.
mono-poly
Nope the Octave Catstick.

http://www.oldtech.com/synth/OctCatstick.html
Kwote
mono-poly wrote:
Nope the Octave Catstick.

http://www.oldtech.com/synth/OctCatstick.html

oooh! neat shit!

The Chewbacca Defense Animal! The Chewbacca Defense
SepticUnderground
300 series woggle is paid now, cant wait to get my hands on it smile

Blacet PSU is at the ciustoms now :( well 2 weeks already now, I guess it will be released this or next week. That will work out fine then razz

I have been so bold to order 5 Wiard 300 modules at Grant razz Well all must be confirmed etc, but if it goinna take 2 years anyway, I may just order it right away then.

this is want next to the woggle:

Waveform City
Sequentizer
Borg Filter
Envalator
Mixolator

I hope i can jump in a batch Grant is doing now (or not) for the 300 series, keep my fingers crossed anyways hehe.
Roycie Roller
SepticUnderground wrote:
300 series woggle is paid now, cant wait to get my hands on it smile

Blacet PSU is at the ciustoms now :( well 2 weeks already now, I guess it will be released this or next week. That will work out fine then razz

I have been so bold to order 5 Wiard 300 modules at Grant razz Well all must be confirmed etc, but if it goinna take 2 years anyway, I may just order it right away then.

this is want next to the woggle:

Waveform City
Sequentizer
Borg Filter
Envalator
Mixolator

I hope i can jump in a batch Grant is doing now (or not) for the 300 series, keep my fingers crossed anyways hehe.

I'd seriously try to get 2nd hand 300 seies modules. You might be lucky & have 6 modules within 6 months. Believe me, 12...14...18 months waiting gets real lonely.
You'll just want to be making music, not dreaming about making it.
Ask around, you might be suprised by what you find.
SepticUnderground
sure i am seeking aswell, i look everyday at different forums for one to pop up razz, for a normal price ofc hehe

but I guess there arent many wanting to say goodbye to theirs, I can fully understand

edit:

i did not order in fact, i asked if there are current batches going for some 300 modules.
But the 5 modules I listed are the ones I am going for as a first prio, later i will maybe expand with other stuff. So if any of those are scheduled to get built any time soon, I can hook up...maybe that is an option...
Kwote
my 310A controller, NR & Boogie were all used but that doesn't mean they came easy. tossed up mostly to luck and timing which also equals out to luck. heh.
SepticUnderground
yihaaaaaa!!!

The first one is hooked onto my voyager now razz

I got speedboat motorhumming waves-clashing sound going on it wow hehe
Roycie Roller
SepticUnderground wrote:
yihaaaaaa!!!

The first one is hooked onto my voyager now razz

I got speedboat motorhumming waves-clashing sound going on it wow hehe

Coolness w00t
Wanna post some sounds? I'd like to hear what you're doing with it!
mono-poly
This topic is worthless without sounds!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2