MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Got Volta Working but after a short while it. .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Got Volta Working but after a short while it. .
TWINSTATES
Starts cracking and I have to change the buffer settings in Live.

Then it works for a short while and then i have to change the buffer settings again. To stop the crackling I have to make them higher than they are before, so say going from 512 samples to 700, then to 850, then to 1000 and so on.

So it's not from having the buffer settings too low. There is nothing else other than Volta in my project at the moment, still setting it up.

Now, i am using an 828 Mk 2 for Volta and a Fireface 800 for my audio ins and outs.
Tey weren't playing well together as an aggregate device however I updated the fireface and all was well. . .

I have installed the ltest version of Volta, the latest motu drivers for the 828 and the latest drivers for the fireface.

I am running a mac pro, leopard OS, 8 gigs of RAm and octocore 2ghz processor.

At the moment I am not doing a lot with Volta, just trying to calibrate and get it all working.

I thought I had cracked it until this started happening! I managed to calibrate a Plan B VCO just dandy then this problem kept on coming up. .

Thanks for any insight you might be able to give. Am I doing something stupid hee?
stretta
Aggregate devices are hit and miss. I'd route optical out from the fireface to the 828.
TWINSTATES
Ahh, good idea.

how would that work in practice though?

i'd need an optical cable. I can get one of those tomorrow no problem.

But how do i configure in live?

And do I just have the fireface as the interface for live (it'd be much easier fi it let you use multiple interfaces). . .

Thanks for the tip but it's made me scrathc my head even more thinking about how it would work smile

By the way thank you again for your help the other week. What I was waiting for came a fair bit earlier than they told me so i didn't need it in the end but it was much appreciated anyway!
stretta
Quote:
But how do i configure in live?

Live addresses your RME I/O like always, except you'll be using the optical I/O. As far as Live is concerned, it is sending audio to an optical output. It doesn't know or care that there is an 828 hooked up to it that is converting the optical to DC-coupled analog.

You may want to reset the 828 to factory defaults so you're working from a clean slate. Then, set the 828 to clock off the RME's optical output.

The real trick is setting up the necessary routing in the 828. The goal is to configure it to be a dumb lightpipe to analog convertor. There isn't a 'patchbay mode' where you can say "optical in 1 to analog out 1" That would be handy and easier to understand for this application. You need to setup Cuemix to do this for you.

Cuemix routes any of the 828's inputs to four stereo output pairs. So, you need to set up four stereo 'mixes' that aren't really mixes, but isolated channels to an output. So, lightpipe input 1 needs to be panned all the way to the left and assigned to a mix which is assigned to analog outputs 1-2. Lightpipe input 2 needs to be panned all the way to the right and assigned to a mix which is assigned to analog outputs 1-2. All other channels need to be deactivated from that mix. Move on to input 3 to outputs 3-4 and so on until you're done or ready to punch your cat.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
TWINSTATES
dude,
if i had a cat it would have been punched by now, I tell ya smile

OK, thanks for the heads up. it doesn't sound too complicared to sort out so i'll give it a go when i have bought a TOS link cable tomorrow.

If it's still happening then i know the unit is at fault. if fine then it's the aggregate device and you can add that to the list of not working setups (witha macpro anyway).]

Final point, my motu doesn't have an adat in, I assume that's the 2 toslink sockets thats marked optical in and out 96K?

Thanks for the help!
stretta
Quote:
Final point, my motu doesn't have an adat in, I assume that's the 2 toslink sockets thats marked optical in and out 96K?

yup. It can be configured to be either spdif or adat optical
TWINSTATES
Arrrghh ,

The cat gets it!

Cuemix doesn't have a manual that I can find onm,y machine.
Hey,

I managed to set it up using a TOS Link cable. All good so far. I have got cv sending to my modular now so that's good.

i reckon I am almost all of the way there now. . .

thanks again for your help

Hopefully I will get some music done soon!
TWINSTATES
ohh,

just had an accident recording something, recorded the CV from Volta instead.

My, now that is cool.

You could edit the cv just like audio I think?

Great for chopping stuff up, and for really tight, funky edited stuff.
oh how exciting this software is!
stretta
Quote:

Yup. Because you're recording virtually (bypassing the DC blocking inputs on the audio interface), your DAW doesn't have any problem recording the DC signals from Volta.

You can edit or whatever you'd do normally with audio, including adding effects to DC signals... like, well, have you ever wanted a CV delay? Try that.
TWINSTATES
Cool, I need to sleep now and not think about synths and modulars!

however i think a lot of CV fun is just around the corner. . .

In live you could quite easily make your own CV clips for jaming with in session view smile)))

And the idea of a CV delay sounds interesting. i wonder what happens when you process with other plugins as well. opens up some interesting possibilities for sure. . .
smitty
stretta wrote:
Quote:

Yup. Because you're recording virtually (bypassing the DC blocking inputs on the audio interface), your DAW doesn't have any problem recording the DC signals from Volta.

You can edit or whatever you'd do normally with audio, including adding effects to DC signals... like, well, have you ever wanted a CV delay? Try that.

I'm pretty excited to be able to edit CV in Live, and then with Max/MSP integration coming built in to Live in the summer, and then ... nanners Good times, good times.
stretta
Quote:
I'm pretty excited to be able to edit CV in Live, and then with Max/MSP integration coming built in to Live in the summer, and then ... Good times, good times.

Well, with Live, you could record CV 'clips' and play and arrange them in real like anything else. That could be interesting.
smitty
stretta wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty excited to be able to edit CV in Live, and then with Max/MSP integration coming built in to Live in the summer, and then ... Good times, good times.

Well, with Live, you could record CV 'clips' and play and arrange them in real like anything else. That could be interesting.

That's what I meant by editing CV in Live. CV DAW editing like audio. Haven't done it because I have been out of town for a week, and need to get some cables ready. Looking forward to Max/MSP too.
Monobass
TWINSTATES wrote:
Now, i am using an 828 Mk 2 for Volta and a Fireface 800 for my audio ins and outs.

Hey.. I have the same setup... (Just bought a new FF800)

So you can send 8 channels of Volta CV over the optical to the motu?
1nput0utput
funtykigs wrote:
TWINSTATES wrote:

Hey.. I have the same setup... (Just bought a new FF800)

So you can send 8 channels of Volta CV over the optical to the motu?

Yes, you'll just need to set up the 828mkII to route each of its eight ADAT inputs to the corresponding analog outputs.
TWINSTATES
YesI have it working like that. Although strangely CV channle 1 and 2 seem to also be on the same channel as 3 and 4 at the moment. I 'll need tocheck my routings. . .
Monobass
Is it necessary to wordclock the devices in order to use optical over adat reliably?

Is Jitter something that can have a noticeably detrimental effect on the quality of a Volta CV output or is it generally going to be below the threshold at which it matters for this application?
stretta
funtykigs wrote:
Is it necessary to wordclock the devices in order to use optical over adat reliably?

I don't. I'm clocking to the optical.

Quote:
Is Jitter something that can have a noticeably detrimental effect on the quality of a Volta CV output or is it generally going to be below the threshold at which it matters for this application?

I haven't noticed any issues.
Monobass
Brilliant news.. I'll buy Volta as soon as someone buys my kenton then!
(I guess Volta has dented the Kenton market a little mind you wink )

slightly off topic, but TWINSTATES you might know.. in this case if i'm sending 8 Volta outputs via optical to the motu.. can I also concurrently run the 8 motu inputs back to the FF on the other adat toslink connection?

I know adat optical has some limits but it always seemed a bit vague.
stretta
funtykigs wrote:
if i'm sending 8 Volta outputs via optical to the motu.. can I also concurrently run the 8 motu inputs back to the FF on the other adat toslink connection?

I can't speak for the RME, but I have successfully routed optical in and out with three 828mk3 interfaces to create a single firewire interface with 24 channels of analog input and output.
1nput0utput
stretta wrote:
funtykigs wrote:
if i'm sending 8 Volta outputs via optical to the motu.. can I also concurrently run the 8 motu inputs back to the FF on the other adat toslink connection?

I can't speak for the RME, but I have successfully routed optical in and out with three 828mk3 interfaces to create a single firewire interface with 24 channels of analog input and output.

There's an important difference between the 828mkII and the 828mk3, though: The older model's CueMix allows only four stereo mixes. The 828mk3 features eight stereo mixes. So if you're routing the 828mkII's eight optical input channels to its eight analog outputs, you've used all four mixes, and there are none left for for A/D conversion. This would be possible with an 828mk3.
Monobass
Ah that is useful to know thanks... it would still be very useful to be able to at least change those 8 channels depending on the particular setup i'm after.
1nput0utput
funtykigs wrote:
Ah that is useful to know thanks... it would still be very useful to be able to at least change those 8 channels depending on the particular setup i'm after.

Yeah, you could do something like six channels of D/A and two channels of A/D, four and four, etc.
TWINSTATES
funtykigs wrote:
Brilliant news.. I'll buy Volta as soon as someone buys my kenton then!
(I guess Volta has dented the Kenton market a little mind you wink )

slightly off topic, but TWINSTATES you might know.. in this case if i'm sending 8 Volta outputs via optical to the motu.. can I also concurrently run the 8 motu inputs back to the FF on the other adat toslink connection?

I have only got one tos link cable herre (borrowed of a mate) it's so long since I have used Adat i had to ask stretta how to set it up https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_hmm.gif

It' probably the best part of almost 10 years since I was using adat interfaces!

Sorry I can't be of more help. - depends on whether you have got the
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1