MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

bad tools
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author bad tools
Luka
after building a few different devices and having a whole bunch of PSU issues with each device i started to realise something was up.

my 808 psu reading was wrong and after the measurement i ripped out my regs and was waiting to buy some more. then today while building a xoxbox for someone the psu had similar problems, yet this was such a clean build.

so i did a search around and then i found this
this guy is talking about the exact meter im using

im not jumping on the blame china bandwagon but realised that using cheap tools for measurement is such a bad idea very frustrating

so after reading this i went and tested modular rails which are proven to be +/- 15 and it came out wrong too and my bench supply also measured bad.

so buyer beware on this shit
im going to go buy a good one today
DGTom
I just scored one of those ones little brothers, I think I trust it to check continuity & to give me a ballpark on resistor values so I don't go blind tryna read codes.

I will def. buy a better one when / if I get around to building PSUs or anything critical, I'm just happy I didn't pay for it grin
JohnLRice
While I agreee with the guy and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, he didn't offer anything to prove his position other than talk about it.

I was expecting to see some inconsistant readings shown or what ever.
Luka
yeah true

well i was using that exact DMM and my xoxbox 5.333 reference voltage measured 7v. then i went and bought a new one and it was spot on 5.33
i measured my power rails on my bench supply and the DC measured 17.5 on each rail with the bad one and +/-15 with the new one

all fixed now. woot
Kwote
i know what you mean. i have a crappy ratshack that doesn't help me worth a shit beyond detecting shorts.

i keep sayin i'll get a proper one but haven't made the leap screaming goo yo
Luka
i know what you mean chris, buying tools is always something secondary
every time i went to the record shop to buy replacement sytlus for my turntables i ended up spending all the $$ on new wax. everytime. haha

and i just did it again
i didnt buy a good one i bought another of the same DMM
this means i can cross reference bad readings between the two DMMs to see if anything is dodge

i guess im just pushing the same issue back
but cant justify spending mega cash on a hobby for the moment
JohnLRice
You guys should check out Ebay or similar for used Fluke and other respectable meters. I'd rather use a really great used meter that is slightly out of calibration than a new one that is inconsistant or unreliable.

For instance check out this one, only $15 buy-it-now + $8 shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140324857159

Just do a search on "Fluke Multi*" to find more.
futuresoundsystems
I say go analog....

Seriously, I find my analog multimeter is usually better at readings than my DMM.
Kwote
futuresoundsystems wrote:
I say go analog....

Seriously, I find my analog multimeter is usually better at readings than my DMM.

i thought of that. only thing is an analog can't do freq counting which is another feature i'm gonna need if i ever build say, a VCO.
Doug Wellington
I have a fluke 8050A on my bench. I bought it and a lot of other test gear from John Bau at Precision Services in Santa Fe, NM, USA. Tell him Doug Wellington sent you.

Here's his current list of Fluke stuff:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jbau/tstequip.htm#FLUKE

Oooh, he has a Tek 465 in stock... Lust...! we're not worthy If I didn't already have a 2236 and a 2465A DM... Collecting test gear is as addicting as analog modulars! lol
flight
Doug Wellington wrote:
I have a fluke 8050A on my bench. I bought it and a lot of other test gear from John Bau at Precision Services in Santa Fe, NM, USA. Tell him Doug Wellington sent you.

Here's his current list of Fluke stuff:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jbau/tstequip.htm#FLUKE

eek!
Damn, thanks for this link! He has a lot of excellent equipment for damn cheap!
Quote:

Oooh, he has a Tek 465 in stock... Lust...! we're not worthy If I didn't already have a 2236 and a 2465A DM... Collecting test gear is as addicting as analog modulars! lol

I agree!
I want a new o'scope, need a new function generator and.. ooh, I'll just take one of everything please!
futuresoundsystems
Kwote wrote:
I say go analog... Seriously, I find my analog multimeter is usually better at readings than my DMM.

i thought of that. only thing is an analog can't do freq counting which is another feature i'm gonna need if i ever build say, a VCO.

Ah yes... I bought a dirt cheap DMM to get rough frequency readings - if I ever need accurate frequency readings I reach for the oscilloscope and do the bit of math. thumbs up
Kwote
Kwote wrote:
I say go analog... Seriously, I find my analog multimeter is usually better at readings than my DMM.

Ah yes... I bought a dirt cheap DMM to get rough frequency readings - if I ever need accurate frequency readings I reach for the oscilloscope and do the bit of math. thumbs up

well okay then. that sounds like a good plan. not to mention affordable. heh.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1