MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

IDOW @ MUTEK 2012 - Clark, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Solvent
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Author IDOW @ MUTEK 2012 - Clark, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Solvent
s o l v e n t
I Dream of Wires showcase
MUTEK Montreal, 13th Edition
Saturday June 2, 2012


I'm very excited to announce that we will be presenting an I Dream of Wires showcase at this year's edition of MUTEK Montreal. For those who don't know, MUTEK is the most prestigious electronic music festival in North America, now in it's 13th year.

I worked with MUTEK to curate this event. All of the artists will be incorporating modular synthesizers into their performances, and the event will be filmed for inclusion in the documentary. The line-up:

Clark (Warp Records, UK)
http://warp.net/records/clark
https://www.facebook.com/throttleclark

Container (Spectrum Spools, USA)
http://www.ijustlivehere.org/container
http://boomkat.com/vinyl/437666-container-lp

Solvent (Ghostly International/Suction Records, Canada)
http://ghostly.com/artists/solvent
https://www.facebook.com/solvent

Keith Fullerton Whitman (Kranky/Editions Mego, USA)
https://vimeo.com/kfw
http://www.keithfullertonwhitman.com

Sealey/Greenspan/Lanza (Orphx/Junior Boys, Canada)
J.S. Bach two part inventions, for modular synthesizers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kRGYrxp_7U

The showcase will be held at the amazing new Satosphere venue, a planetarium-style dome. We will be projecting visuals from the film throughout the performances, for a truly immersive modular experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO6r8qbdzVE

From MUTEK's website:

"American composer KEITH FULLERTON WHITMAN [is] considered by many to be one of his generation’s most critically acclaimed disciples of electronic music’s avant-garde classical roots.... Whitman will be joining Toronto synth-electro veteran SOLVENT (Jason Amm), who returns to the festival after a decade’s absence. Amm will be leading a showcase that includes Whitman, UK Warp act CLARK, American indie-techno producer CONTAINER, and more, to take place at Montreal’s new Satosphere, a truly original planetarium-style dome for digital-arts performance. This showcase will be filmed for the upcoming feature-length documentary “I Dream of Wires”, which explores the resurgence of the modular synthesizer. In the month of May, MUTEK TV will be featuring exclusive weekly excerpts from the film."

http://www.mutek.org/en/news/387-mutek-festival-announces-second-wave- of-performers

Hope to see some of you there... for the rest of you, we will be sure to post extended from the showcase on our Vimeo channel!

thanks,

Jason Amm,
Producer, "I Dream Of Wires"
http://idreamofwires.org
http://www.indiegogo.com/IDOW-round3
https://www.facebook.com/idreamofwiresdocumentary
franzschuier
applause

Congrats... Mutek is the shizzle.


Cant make it, but very much looking forward to the showcase on vimeo.
Veqtor
Wow, really wish I lived in montreal now. Any chance you'll be interviewing clark about his thoughts on modulars? I'm a big fan of his music!
s o l v e n t
Veqtor wrote:
Wow, really wish I lived in montreal now. Any chance you'll be interviewing clark about his thoughts on modulars? I'm a big fan of his music!


MUTEK did all of the negotiating with Clark, so I have yet to ask him... But yes, that is the plan, and I imagine he will be game.

Jason
radiokoala
SlayerBadger!

Very exciting and welcome addition to a DVD!! Makes me think this part of video should be the most intelligible way of educating people on the role modular synths play in music. I mean, blinkenlights alone are impressive, but to help those totally new to the subject catch on, a live footage would help perhaps more so than in-depth interviews full of special terms and abbrevations - all while that's what most of us appreciate most.

Also, can't help but applaud an idea of an all-modular festival - indeed much the right thing! This is fun!

And the last, I have a question: will there be english subtitles on a disc?

Cheers!
s o l v e n t
radiokoala wrote:
Very exciting and welcome addition to a DVD!! Makes me think this part of video should be the most intelligible way of educating people on the role modular synths play in music. I mean, blinkenlights alone are impressive, but to help those totally new to the subject catch on, a live footage would help perhaps more so than in-depth interviews full of special terms and abbrevations - all while that's what most of us appreciate most.

Also, can't help but applaud an idea of an all-modular festival - indeed much the right thing!


Thanks for the enthusiasm! Yes we think an event like this, showcasing modern musicians using modular synthesizers live, makes an important point in the film. I couldn't have been happier when MUTEK accepted my proposal, and the line-up is just perfect IMO.

radiokoala wrote:
And the last, I have a question: will there be english subtitles on a disc?


Well, the film will be in english... you mean will we have subtitles for other languages? I would guess 'yes' but details like this are not really at the top of our list of priorities at this point!
radiokoala
s o l v e n t wrote:
radiokoala wrote:
And the last, I have a question: will there be english subtitles on a disc?


Well, the film will be in english... you mean will we have subtitles for other languages? I would guess 'yes' but details like this are not really at the top of our list of priorities at this point!

Yea, I know it's in english but that's what I meant. For example, I don't remember whether I got hold of all the things you said when watching your interview about aphex twin and stuff, but probably not. English is not my native language and while I may know absolutely all the words used in film, I still can't understand everything by ear and have to turn on subtitles. Probably it's not an issue for those living in an english-speaking environment - even if english is not their native language, they could hear it quite often on the streets, and it makes understanding lyrics or film dialogs a matter-of-course. So, that's why I asked meh
s o l v e n t
radiokoala wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
radiokoala wrote:
And the last, I have a question: will there be english subtitles on a disc?


Well, the film will be in english... you mean will we have subtitles for other languages? I would guess 'yes' but details like this are not really at the top of our list of priorities at this point!

Yea, I know it's in english but that's what I meant. For example, I don't remember whether I got hold of all the things you said when watching your interview about aphex twin and stuff, but probably not. English is not my native language and while I may know absolutely all the words used in film, I still can't understand everything by ear and have to turn on subtitles. Probably it's not an issue for those living in an english-speaking environment - even if english is not their native language, they could hear it quite often on the streets, and it makes understanding lyrics or film dialogs a matter-of-course. So, that's why I asked meh


OK I see what you're saying. Still too early to give you a definite answer, but I will keep this in mind.
rezzn8r
cool! w00t
I've always wanted to make it to MUTEK.
Maybe this is the year....
Emma Tomic
I'll be in Mtl for this, so stoked! dizzy

The Satosphere looks amazing. I'm sure the sound will be great too.

Looking forward to it!
bennybones
MUTEK's awesome, but can get pretty expensive quickly if you want to hit up the good shows.

Therefore, I'm volunteering this year (free tickets!).
dan_k
Have an awesome show tonight, wish I could be there!!
radiokoala
Oh, tonight already?..

Record bootlegs everybody!! Rockin' Banana!
bodo
Looks like a perfect line-up! Saw Keith perform in good ol' Belgium about a month ago, and it was such a great performance, great guy and he masters his modular like no other I've ever seen. Love Clark a lot too, so please record the entire set, someone!
Votek_Mendo
I'm right there in line waiting for the doors to open. ;)
It's raining outside shit. Grrrrrrr
I'm sure it's going to be awesome, can wait to hear Keith' set.
Never saw the new satosphere eiter.

See ya!
transistor logic
keith set was very nice . the sound was so powerfull but not muddy . defenitly not something you can experience in your home .
the satosphere is so immersive .
very good job on the visual side also , what a trip !

sad that solvent wasn't there , hope you're doing ok jason .
s o l v e n t
transistor logic wrote:
keith set was very nice . the sound was so powerfull but not muddy . defenitly not something you can experience in your home .
the satosphere is so immersive .
very good job on the visual side also , what a trip !

sad that solvent wasn't there , hope you're doing ok jason .



Glad that you enjoyed the showcase! I am beyond bummed that I had to miss this... You can imagine I was in pretty rough shape - not only did I miss the chance to perform at MUTEK, and to see the showcase that I spent weeks working with MUTEK to curate/organize, I also missed out on the opportunity to open for some of my musical heroes, Dopplereffekt, in NYC two days before the MUTEK show... Bah! I am finally coming around though, which is good because we're off to Germany & London next week to conduct the final interviews for the film

PS: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/06/exclusive-i-dream-of-wires/
Orbless
when did Ren start using modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group