MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

begginer advice :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author begginer advice :)
Silent Strike
Hi, i`ll need some advices for my first modular plan.If i`m missing some important modules or what are the best modules to complete it...
I think i`ll use it with computer seq and midi keyboard.
Thank you very much!
tehyar
FYI: The 143-2 sustain does not sustain where you set it. It bleeds off to about 20% based on a preset time related to where you have the switch set (low med high). Something to keep in mind if you need sustain. I got it for my first adsr and found it total crap for when I wanted to play my modular like a synth from a keyboard.

Also: Some people swear the Pittsburgh Modular blank panels sound better. hihi
Silent Strike
Thanks, so what should i do with the adsr?I mean there`s no solution for the sustain problem, because i already ordered it smile
SYN7HOR
I think it looks good. Remeber you will have to adjust the trimpots on the 132-4, or it'll easily distort. Also get the 132-1 for linear vca duties. I would skip the ULFO and get a Maths instead. The Manhattan 4x4x4 instead of the A-180, and maybe a Manhattan mixer?

tehyar wrote:
FYI: The 143-2 sustain does not sustain where you set it. It bleeds off to about 20% based on a preset time related to where you have the switch set (low med high).
Huh? I've never noticed that. It behaves just like I would expect when played from midikeyboard.
Silent Strike
Thanks SYN7HOR, i`m thinking for linear vca also and maybe the Pittsburgh Modular - AudioMixer / Attenuator module instead of doepfer.. but i see the manhattan is 4h...I really wanted Maths but i can`t find it in stock smile
Thank you!
tehyar
SYN7HOR wrote:

tehyar wrote:
FYI: The 143-2 sustain does not sustain where you set it. It bleeds off to about 20% based on a preset time related to where you have the switch set (low med high).
Huh? I've never noticed that. It behaves just like I would expect when played from midikeyboard.

Really? Hrm, I'm not the only one to report this though.

If you set the duration switch to short, set the sustain to max, hold down a key, does it actually stay at max or trail off?

edit: original thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38046&highlight=
sundog
Some great modules here, I have a few suggestions...

The Noisering outputs a very wide voltage range and benefits from attenuation, hence earlier suggestion of Pittsburgh Mixer / Attenuator is a good one.

I know nothing about MIDI interfaces but if I was using an external sequencer I'd want to be able to use it to clock my Noisering (presume this also applies to the PEG). So i'd make sure you're MIDI interface has sufficient outputs to make the most of these modules. Someone else might be able to provide better advice.

Also someone else might want to comment on the need for a buffered multiples....I wonder whether a A180 will be sufficient if you are controlling more than 2 oscillators from the external sequencer.

If you're making tonal music, and are expecting to generate some of the the pitches within the modular (eg from Noisering or pseudo-sequencing from mixing CVs) you might want to think about a quantizer. I'm very happy with the Doepfer one but there are other good ones.

I also have 3 main oscillators - z3000, Anti and the E350 Morphing Terrarium. I've found that a digital oscillator such as the E350 adds great variety (both at audio and LFO rates) - are you sure you want three analogue oscillators? Perhaps you've got all the digital stuff happening externally, but getting those wavetables under CV control is just great.
Silent Strike
Thank you sundog!
I don`t know much about midi... hoping for some advices.I changed the 180 multis with 2 multis from pittsburgh modular, got a A-132-3 dual vca and A-156 dual quantizer.
I`m waiting for new advices for midi and other modules.Thank you for the digital osc advice too smile, i`ll keep in mind!
tehyar
If you're picking up an a-156, CV Tools is very handy. All in one attenuating, offset, and mixing of cv, so you can tame the input on the pitch. Mine is patched up like that most of the time.
Silent Strike
I`ll look on CV Tools too, thank you.
For sequencing from computer, A-190 MCVS it`s better?
Now it looks like this:
[/img]
tehyar
If you're seriously wanting to sequence from a pc, see if the Expert Sleepers ES3 or 4 fits into your setup (i.e. you have a adat or spdif output). It's incredibly powerful. It can also provide powerful voicing envelopes.

Also, if you're considering CV Tools it can probably replace the a-138, unless you think you'd need more mixing.
Silent Strike
After all this i may cosider buying a sequencer module and forget the computer, just playing midi keyboard hihi help
skipperdean
you're setup looks good. i don't know you're scenario with other music gear, but i have an a-119 and love the possibilities it opens up.... and its also only $100.
Silent Strike
skipperdean wrote:
you're setup looks good. i don't know you're scenario with other music gear, but i have an a-119 and love the possibilities it opens up.... and its also only $100.

Thank you! I like it very much! It`s very good for my guitar and everything else:)
Silent Strike
Something like that?
Jimmersound
That set up looks like a party to me!

If you're now thinking about sequencing in your modular, lose the two mults, buy stackcables (if they are available soon) and get a uStep.
Silent Strike
Jimmersound wrote:
That set up looks like a party to me!

If you're now thinking about sequencing in your modular, lose the two mults, buy stackcables (if they are available soon) and get a uStep.

Thank you!
do you know where i can find the cables in stock?smile because i can`t.also i can change A-190 with A-190-3 usbmidi and i have exact the hp i need for ustep smile
Since sundog told me about the digital oscillators, i`m looking at piston honda smile hmmm.....
solitud
Looks cool but is it possible to buy a FrequenSteiner? Where?
Silent Strike
solitud wrote:
Looks cool but is it possible to buy a FrequenSteiner? Where?

i sent you a message smile
Maybe i`ll take Z8000 in a mini 32hp case and resolve the seq problem.Any other opinions?
Thanks!
flashheart
You're buying all that at once? Way way too much to get your head around to start with IMO. Don't mean to be rude but looks like you've picked lots of 'cool' modules. Maths and a PEG to start with is a bit much.
What kind of thing you want to do with it? 4 VCOs, 3 filters and only 2 dedicated mixers? (OK I know Maths has one...) I'd have more attenuators / mixers in there.
Silent Strike
flashheart wrote:
You're buying all that at once? Way way too much to get your head around to start with IMO. Don't mean to be rude but looks like you've picked lots of 'cool' modules. Maths and a PEG to start with is a bit much.
What kind of thing you want to do with it? 4 VCOs, 3 filters and only 2 dedicated mixers? (OK I know Maths has one...) I'd have more attenuators / mixers in there.

Not at once smile just half of the modules first.Maths later smile
You`re right , i`ll have the pittsburgh mixer/attenuator too, in the future.Now i`m just planing and buying the first round for now smile
Thank you!
Jimmersound
[/quote]
Thank you!
do you know where i can find the cables in stock?[/quote]

Unfortunately, no - you could inquire with tiptop or analogue haven to see if they have any eta for new batches though.
Silent Strike
flashheart wrote:

I think the first 2 shippings will look like this :

and after some long wiggling time smile i`ll bring others.What do you think?
idbk
Hi,
Any recommendations for articles about how to begin with modular synthesis?

Thanks (:
alanza
idbk wrote:
Hi,
Any recommendations for articles about how to begin with modular synthesis?

Thanks (:

don't!! it's crazy expensive to get to a point where you can do better than a fixed architecture synth.

but if you must, get a semi-modular synth like a Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute 2S, or 0-Coast and figure out what goes on when you patch it and begin your rack by trying to complement it.

after that, maybe check if a thread is 6 years old before you necrobump it, eh? thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2