MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Logic 8, Ensemble, Voyager RME, SE-1X + your advice = Volta?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Logic 8, Ensemble, Voyager RME, SE-1X + your advice = Volta?
qphatty
Subject topic says it all.

After reading everything I could find on Volta, I've come to the conclusion that I need help sorting it all out. Thanks in advance for your suggestions, recommendations and guidance...

1. Guess I should start with the basic goal - I'd like to use Volta with my Voyager RME and SE-1X. MOTU.com has the Voyager on their list and saw the video, so that looks OK. Anyone have any insight on whether the Studio Electronics SE-1X will work?

2. Looks like the Ensemble doesn't cut it. Love MOTU, but I just can't get my head (or bank account) around buying a MKIII just for Volta support. Are there other, cheaper alternatives, or do I just need to suck it up and buy a MKIII if I want Volta?

3. How would I hook my Voyager and SE-1X up and can someone outline the cable routing? Is it as simple as using the Output jack on the SE-1X? I saw in the Voyager calibration video on MOTU.com where they used the headphone jack.

I realize that my questions may be simplistic and redundant to some other postings. I've read them but I will benefit - and hopefully others too! - from your responses to the above questions. The HW modular/technical experience level on this board is much higher than my own.

My guess is that I'm in a class of potential Volta users who are all struggling with question #2 on cost and just confused on #3 because of the inability to read the manual or view the Volta installation videos that (I assume) come with the SW.
stretta
The Alesis IO26 is known to be DC coupled and successfully sends control voltages. This interface has not been known to calibrate. However, this was tested before the 1.03 update which could potentially fix the issue. This interface is around $300.

Used MOTU interfaces pop up often. You don't need the latest greatest MOTU interface, the 828mkII sends out healthy control voltages, as does the original Ultralite.

How to set up the voyager with volta
http://66.92.94.107/misc/monosynth_calibration_540.mov
qphatty
Has anyone successfully tested and confirmed that the Alesis IO26 with Volta 1.03 works? Cheers.
revstate
stretta wrote:
The Alesis IO26 is known to be DC coupled and successfully sends control voltages. This interface has not been known to calibrate. However, this was tested before the 1.03 update which could potentially fix the issue. This interface is around $300.

Used MOTU interfaces pop up often. You don't need the latest greatest MOTU interface, the 828mkII sends out healthy control voltages, as does the original Ultralite.

How to set up the voyager with volta
http://66.92.94.107/misc/monosynth_calibration_540.mov


I have an ensemble and a 2408mkII that I am using to try and control my voyager (w/ keyboard) using volta in logic 8. Every time I try and calibrate it jumps everywhere and then the calibration fails. Also, when in external mode with the voyager, it naturally is playing a note, what note should it be playing? Also, why do the 2408mkII's inputs not work but the outputs do? Very confusing...... U_U
1nput0utput
revstate wrote:
I have an ensemble and a 2408mkII that I am using to try and control my voyager (w/ keyboard) using volta in logic 8. Every time I try and calibrate it jumps everywhere and then the calibration fails.

When you switch to the calibration tab and select the calibration input, is the red pitch marker moving before you press the Calibrate button? If you engage the Preview button, what does it sound like?

revstate wrote:
Also, when in external mode with the voyager, it naturally is playing a note, what note should it be playing?

When the Calibration tab is selected and before calibration begins, Volta outputs a 0V signal. The pitch that you hear before beginning calibration will vary among various oscillators (because each one might respond differently to a given pitch CV).

revstate wrote:
Also, why do the 2408mkII's inputs not work but the outputs do? Very confusing...... U_U

You're going to have to do a little bit better than that in the details department.
revstate
Now that I have received my system 100 model 100, I have setup both of them the same way it is described in the manual for calibration and both synthesizers of them fail calibration.

1nput0utput wrote:
revstate wrote:
I have an ensemble and a 2408mkII that I am using to try and control my voyager (w/ keyboard) using volta in logic 8. Every time I try and calibrate it jumps everywhere and then the calibration fails.

When you switch to the calibration tab and select the calibration input, is the red pitch marker moving before you press the Calibrate button? If you engage the Preview button, what does it sound like?


A: When I move the freq. of the osc. the red pitch marker moves. B: The same as when i plug it directly into my mixer, clean dry osc.

1nput0utput wrote:
revstate wrote:
Also, when in external mode with the voyager, it naturally is playing a note, what note should it be playing?

When the Calibration tab is selected and before calibration begins, Volta outputs a 0V signal. The pitch that you hear before beginning calibration will vary among various oscillators (because each one might respond differently to a given pitch CV).


What I meant by this is that when you normally plug something into a monosynth's pitch cv input, your keyboard no longer scales. On the Voyager you can still scale on the keyboard with something patched into the pitch cv. What should I do to keep it at the key Volta wants?

1nput0utput wrote:
revstate wrote:
Also, why do the 2408mkII's inputs not work but the outputs do? Very confusing...... U_U

You're going to have to do a little bit better than that in the details department.


I am running an Apogee Ensemble on a Mac Quad core with Logic 8 and Volta. I am getting CV out of the DC coupled 2408mkII interface from the apogee's adat ports into the 2408's GRP A adat ports. Everything sends out fine (from what I can tell) from the 2408mkII, except I can't get the Clock out to work for my Polysix's Arp trig in and my MuRF's Trig in with the moog adapter plugged in. Nothing comes into the 2408mkII, i don't know why, it should.
revstate
any other information that you guys need ^_^
stretta
Quote:
What I meant by this is that when you normally plug something into a monosynth's pitch cv input, your keyboard no longer scales. On the Voyager you can still scale on the keyboard with something patched into the pitch cv. What should I do to keep it at the key Volta wants?


Nothing. Keep your hands off the keyboard during calibration.

Quote:
A: When I move the freq. of the osc. the red pitch marker moves. B: The same as when i plug it directly into my mixer, clean dry osc.


OK, that is good. Volta is reading the input CV.

Quote:
Now that I have received my system 100 model 100, I have setup both of them the same way it is described in the manual for calibration and both synthesizers of them fail calibration.


Given that volta is reading the pitch ok, it would seem to be a problem on the CV side. What happens if you replace the voice pitch CV output with an LFO? Are you hearing the appropriate pitch modulation?
revstate
stretta wrote:
Given that volta is reading the pitch ok, it would seem to be a problem on the CV side. What happens if you replace the voice pitch CV output with an LFO? Are you hearing the appropriate pitch modulation?
Yes, when I switch to an LFO it modulates the pitch properly.

Also, you mentioned in another post that the 2408mk3 can only receive or send out of it's analog inputs and outputs when used as a stand alone converter via adat. Is this true for the MKII as well? Also, I do not have the pci card that goes with the 2408mkII, so i cannot test it that way.
stretta
revstate wrote:
Yes, when I switch to an LFO it modulates the pitch properly.


OK, good CV output is working properly. Back to the pitch input, then.

What do you hear when preview is active?

Can you describe how calibration fails, does the red line move during calibration at all?

What kind of waveform are you using? Check the level, do you need extra gain?

When you move the coarse tuning knob, is the red line responsive or sluggish? Does it bounce around or is it rock steady?

What happens if you change your samples per buffer setting?

Are there any signal chain issues eg: inputs or outputs shared or in use by other signals, like is volta's sidechain return a unique input from the calibration input?
revstate
stretta wrote:
What do you hear when preview is active?


A very loud sine wave at B2. When I press calibrate, the tone goes to C3, then back to B2. All of this takes about 7 seconds from when i press the button to when it says fail.

stretta wrote:
Can you describe how calibration fails, does the red line move during calibration at all?


Yes, the red line wobbles a little. Sometimes the red line jumps all of the way to the top (C8) and then back again.

stretta wrote:
What kind of waveform are you using? Check the level, do you need extra gain?


Sine. As loud as I can get it from the headphone out into the ensemble's 8th input (i have tried all of the others inputs on the ensemble)

stretta wrote:
When you move the coarse tuning knob, is the red line responsive or sluggish? Does it bounce around or is it rock steady?


If you mean the octave switches, it jumps perfectly and fast all the way up from 32' to 1'. If i use the fine tune knob, it does move responsively as well. It seems rock steady.

stretta wrote:
What happens if you change your samples per buffer setting?


at 32 it fails, at 64 it fails, at 128 it fails, etc...

stretta wrote:
Are there any signal chain issues eg: inputs or outputs shared or in use by other signals, like is volta's sidechain return a unique input from the calibration input?


The project I am using just has Volta as and instrument with 4 aux's coming off of volta just like the video. The sidechain is set to ensemble inputs 1 and 2, and the caibration source is set to Analog 7,8 2.
revstate
As soon as i finished the last post, i turned up the volume for cv out up a little, and it passed. I guess I need to have it a little above 0 in order for it to calibrate (+ 0.6).
revstate
um.. about that whole floating ring thing...

The person who runs the audio midi blog recommended just using a patchbay, running a trs cabe from the motu to the patchbay and a ts cable from the patchbay to the synth. Can I do this, or do I need to solder up 8 TRS to TS cables with the ring removed on the TRS?
stretta
revstate wrote:
um.. about that whole floating ring thing...

The person who runs the audio midi blog recommended just using a patchbay, running a trs cabe from the motu to the patchbay and a ts cable from the patchbay to the synth. Can I do this, or do I need to solder up 8 TRS to TS cables with the ring removed on the TRS?


If you plug a TRS to TRS to a patch bay, you've simply 'moved' the output of the audio interface to the patchbay.
revstate
stretta wrote:
revstate wrote:
um.. about that whole floating ring thing...

The person who runs the audio midi blog recommended just using a patchbay, running a trs cabe from the motu to the patchbay and a ts cable from the patchbay to the synth. Can I do this, or do I need to solder up 8 TRS to TS cables with the ring removed on the TRS?


If you plug a TRS to TRS to a patch bay, you've simply 'moved' the output of the audio interface to the patchbay.


That's what I thought, but check out this:

http://www.audiomidiblog.com/journal/tag/motu

Is he crazy, or ?

Oh, and thanks for the help. Volta is the best thing to happen to computers since the DAW. YOU ROX!
stretta
Quote:
Is he crazy, or ?


Using TS or TRS cables won't affect the operation of volta. Either will work. It is just that we don't have any idea if long term use of DC signals will harm your audio interface if ring is shorted. In theory, it isn't really what the electronics like to see. So, to be on the safe side, we recommend that you use cables with the ring floating (disconnected).

I used TS cables for a good solid five months with an Ultralite. That interface is still fine. However, the risk for me is low. If I screw up an interface, I just go to the shelf and grab another one. Why take the risk?

I took an old Hosa TRS snake I wasn't using, cut it in half and soldered 3.5mm jacks on, and make 16 cables.
1nput0utput
revstate wrote:
As soon as i finished the last post, i turned up the volume for cv out up a little, and it passed. I guess I need to have it a little above 0 in order for it to calibrate (+ 0.6).

The Volta manual says that the 2408mkII is capable of producing just more than half the voltage range of the 2408mk3. That makes me think that you wouldn't have to add gain to the CV signal in the DAW mixer if you were using a 2408mk3. This is a great solution if you know the analog outputs that you want to use are DC-coupled but they don't produce enough voltage to be usable for pitch CV. I should try this method with an old original 828, which has the smallest output voltage range according to the manual.
celebutante
revstate wrote:
stretta wrote:
revstate wrote:
um.. about that whole floating ring thing...

The person who runs the audio midi blog recommended just using a patchbay, running a trs cabe from the motu to the patchbay and a ts cable from the patchbay to the synth. Can I do this, or do I need to solder up 8 TRS to TS cables with the ring removed on the TRS?


If you plug a TRS to TRS to a patch bay, you've simply 'moved' the output of the audio interface to the patchbay.


That's what I thought, but check out this:

http://www.audiomidiblog.com/journal/tag/motu

Is he crazy, or ?

Oh, and thanks for the help. Volta is the best thing to happen to computers since the DAW. YOU ROX!


The person who runs the audioMIDIblog is indeed crazy- I am him. The MOTU Ultralite I was using ceased to work recently, though I'm not convinced it had to do with shorting the outputs (it just stopped turning on). My Sonorus boxes seem to be working just fine with the patch bay, though I intend to get a proper snake for it (see next paragraph).

I would strongly recommend just getting a cheapo Hosa TRS>TRS snake and cutting the ring connections (make sure and get one with metal ends that can be unscrewed so you can get to them).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group