MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is a convolution module possible?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Is a convolution module possible?
infection
Is this something that is possible to make in eurorack?

I would love to have one. Ability to load own impulses, CV control over impulse speed and other parameters.

Reverb, speaker cabinet and gear impulses, waveshaping...

uConvo
mConvo
.Convo
E590 Sampling Reverb
Z9000 Convoluter
ADDAC Impulse loader

Who wants to make them? Ill take the dual version with crossfading Mr. Green
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Sorry to sound ignorant, but are you referring to the mathematical convolution (faltung) operation? If so, then yes, I believe this is possible in electronics. It's just a special form of integration involving two stochastic functions multiplied together. I'm not sure what musical function this would serve, though. Please enlighten me!
akrylik
With convolution you can implement any linear response filter that has a finite impulse response.

The quicket way to get convolution filtering in euro land is probably to use the z-dsp from tip top audio. The dragonfly card comes with a 3-tap stereo delay or you can easily roll your own with numberz.
reppiks
Convolution reverb is what he means, and yes it does involve the mathematical convolution thang:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_reverb
infection
It basically lets you use recorded impulse responses to color your sound.
Used for emulations of rooms, guitar cabinets and other gear.

There are quite a few convolution reverbs/impulse loaders in software, and impulse responses of all sorts of stuff is available online, or you can make them yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_reverb

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLetter/Convolution-Reverb.jsp

here are some freeware vsts:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.php

http://freeverb3.sourceforge.net/

and for mac:

http://audio.lernvall.com/
infection
akrylik wrote:
With convolution you can implement any linear response filter that has a finite impulse response.

The quicket way to get convolution filtering in euro land is probably to use the z-dsp from tip top audio. The dragonfly card comes with a 3-tap stereo delay or you can easily roll your own with numberz.

Do you mean that this is already possible with the dragonfly card? I have absolutely no clue about programming, so making my own is not an option.
akrylik
If what you want is a long tail reverb or you want to be able to record your own impulses and load them in then NO, the dragon fly card does not give you this.

In the above case you would need to use the numberz (z-dsp programmer) to load your own impulse and convolve it with the incoming audio but that would require programming.

The 3-tap delay I mentioned gives you a very specific type of impulse response that sounds like a fading echo with 3 reflections.
governor blacksnake
Yeah.
infection
Yes i want a module which can load impulses, with CV control over impulse speed (for a guitar cabinet impulse this would control the "size" of the cabinet) and maybe other parameters aswell.
matttech
I thought convolution was pretty CPU-heavy (they always mention that in , say, sound on sound reviews....along with the view that algorithmic reverbs are lighter on computing resources)

Altiverb was off the charts - in terms of processing power needed - a few years back (when I had a 867mhz g4 mac it could only handle about one instance before crumbling)

However, Logic's Space Designer seems a lot lighter on resources, and I was amazed at how many I could run on a 1.8ghz White iMac (loads)

Convolution is superb at lots fo things other than reverb though..speaker cabinets etc... I have a massive library of impulse responses and use them all the time
jupiter8
No way the Z-DSP is powerful enough for anything but the shortest IRs.
Monobass
regularly have a few instances of Altiverb going these days
Veqtor
Question is, what would be the point of a convolution module, there isn't many parameters to voltage control. Also, I belive there'd be a constant pre-delay corresponding to at least 512 samples @ 44100 hz = 11 ms which is negiable I guess for reverbs but still.

It'd take some rather heavy processing to, I dunno.. morph responses in realtime...
infection
Well, speed of the impulse, attack, decay, start point, length could all be interesting to have under CV control. And crossfading/morphing of different impulses would have been great.

I know convolution is cpu intensive, thats why i asked if it was possible.
11 ms latency is a bit much though, ok for big reverbs i guess but not so cool for guitar cabinet impulses.

here is a video of some tweaking in software, would love to be able to control some of those parameters with CV.
[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN8XUrObX0c
jnlkrt
well, if there is one major drawback of impulse response based convolution reverbs besides the amount of calculations needed and the resulting heavy latency of the processing, it`s their lack of real tweakability. any changes to the reflection patterns, room size, colour etc. are just workarounds in post processing. this all makes it pretty useless under CV control IMO. a nice digital algorithmic reverb with CV control makes way more sense, or in my very personal opinion, spring or plate reverbs.
id i really needed something like this, i`d take a CV-->Midi converter or Expert Sleepers and feed the the control signals to the software based convolution reverbs. they are much more practical in software than hardware.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
This is the first I've heard/read about any of this. I use the convolution operation in my "real" work (mathematical modeling of multistage, multiparticle leaching reactors), but had no idea that it had uses in signal processing.

I'm not interested in digital implementations, but am now quite intrigued about the possibility of an analog approach to convolution filtering. This may be quite useless for modeling speaker cabinets, but could have some interesting possibilities nonetheless. This may already be covered by things such as Karplus-Strong and comb filters, but I've got to do some research.
Tomek Mirt
Quote:
I've got to do some research

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
you have one month for releasing this as a module hihi
jnlkrt
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
This is the first I've heard/read about any of this. I use the convolution operation in my "real" work (mathematical modeling of multistage, multiparticle leaching reactors), but had no idea that it had uses in signal processing.

I'm not interested in digital implementations, but am now quite intrigued about the possibility of an analog approach to convolution filtering. This may be quite useless for modeling speaker cabinets, but could have some interesting possibilities nonetheless. This may already be covered by things such as Karplus-Strong and comb filters, but I've got to do some research.

i think the concept of room impulse responses being used in reverberation processors based on convolution only works in dsp.

here`s some basic info including the practical use:

http://www.inspiredacoustics.com/wiki/index.php/Convolution_Reverberat ion

more details about convolution in dsp here:

http://www.dspguide.com/
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
jnlkrt wrote:
i think the concept of room impulse responses being used in reverberation processors based on convolution only works in dsp.

You're probably right, but the convolution operation could be implemented fairly easily in analog. Could be an interesting waveshaping technique, for example.
jnlkrt
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
jnlkrt wrote:

You're probably right, but the convolution operation could be implemented fairly easily in analog. Could be an interesting waveshaping technique, for example.

sure, that`s far beyond my knowledge.. smile
i understand that the operation of convolution in general is what inspires you, not the specific application in impulse response based spatial processing.
just thought some hints towards the implementation in audio dsp might be useful to start some research. thumbs up
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
jnlkrt wrote:
i understand that the operation of convolution in general is what inspires you, not the specific application in impulse response based spatial processing.

You've got me pegged! As mathematical operations go, it's pretty cool (in temporal processes, it actually allows you to go back in time and reconstruct the initial events based on their consequences, and is therefore (IMHO) the best metaphor for all of history).
JeshuaW
I actually studied under the man who invented sound file Convolution in the early 80's. Yes it is possible to do it, but even on modern computers, realtime convolution takes up a lot of processor power. Also!!!! Convolution is sooo much more than Reverb. Yes it is a digital filter of the impulse, but you can use it to EQ and make many crazy sounds.
Gribs
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

Wow, another mathematical modeler besides me here in the MW forum?

There was a junior year class called "signal analysis and transform methods" that was required for the BSEE degree at my school (SUNY Buffalo). I was the TA for it in grad school too. We covered convolution for continuous and discreet time signals, LTI systems (more difference equations than differential since the students had differential equations already), basis function expansion and Fourier series, Laplace, Z, and Fourier transforms, etc. The first thing that we taught was how to perform convolution in the (continuous) time domain. It drove a lot of the students crazy; I heard "I didn't think I was going to have to compute any more integrals once I finished with calculus" quite a few times over a space of three years d'oh!
jnlkrt
That`s a pretty inspiring statement:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
As mathematical operations go, it's pretty cool (in temporal processes, it actually allows you to go back in time and reconstruct the initial events based on their consequences, and is therefore (IMHO) the best metaphor for all of history).

And this even more:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

smile
Gribs
jnlkrt wrote:
That`s a pretty inspiring statement:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
As mathematical operations go, it's pretty cool (in temporal processes, it actually allows you to go back in time and reconstruct the initial events based on their consequences, and is therefore (IMHO) the best metaphor for all of history).

And this even more:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

smile

You have to be careful with deconvolution, which is one of a large class of "ill-posed" inverse problems of interest for all sorts of things.

I did a summer internship in grad school at Eastman Kodak Research Labs (poor Eastman Kodak - so sad) with a mathematician who was working on inverse problems that involve integral equations like deconvolution. We worked on more general problems than just deconvolution, but that was one of the problems of general interest.

Convolution of a signal with a bounded kernel such as an impulse response for a cathedral squashes information out of the input signal. A familiar example would be applying a low-pass filter to an input signal; the higher frequency information in the input signal above the cutoff frequency for the filter will be squashed out by the filter. At some point the information will be squished down beneath the noise floor and/or the resolution of your computational system and essentially lost. Trying to reconstruct the original signal using the impulse response and the filtered signal which has lost information is what makes the problem "ill-posed".

The idea is to figure out what can be resolved and what cannot be resolved. For what are called "bounded linear operators on Hilbert spaces" there is a rich mathematical theory which when implemented can help you figure this out. Good stuff happens when you can resolve enough information in the de-convolved signal to be useful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7