MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

the most brutal synth rack ever
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author the most brutal synth rack ever
DonaldCrunk
hi.

this project isn't exactly mindblowing as far as skill goes, but i thought i would post it anyway as it seems that a lot of people need more space for their modules nowadays, and it's really really easy to make that happen yourself, with just some rudimentary tools and a damn tape measure.

the material for this project has an interesting history.

about 8 years ago, my cousin owned a rental property here in Central IL - the tenant at the time decided he had enough of life, and doused the home in gas and set it on fire with himself still inside. obviously, he died, and as far as ways to kill yourself i'd say that ranks among the most metal ever.

somehow, his deck remained intact, and my father (being the frugal man that he is) decided that the deck would make a great source of lumber. we disassembled it over the course of an afternoon or so.

fast forward to today - my good pal mome rath needs a 5u rack for his shiny new .com modular, and i just so happened to run across the stair treads from this dead guy's deck. well, fuck, let's make a rack out of that!

on second thought... this wood is really fucked up. it's all warped, gouged, and there's even a burn mark in one of the pieces.

but in the end, i just couldn't resist all the drama in this wood. it spoke to me. it called out my name. dooooonaaaald crrrrrunk!

the material itself is just pine, probably 2x12's at one point, but some material got shaved off one edge to fit whatever application the dead guy had. not the best wood for something furniture grade, by any means, but it will do. my planer wasn't wide enough to take the surface off, so i had to resurface the old fashioned way.

time to break out the belt sander!

oh, shit. this wood is so rough it tore my belt. must press on.

these are the top and bottom pieces, after about 2 hours of belt and orbital sanding. the grain isn't actually half bad - but these are still going to be really thick, heavy pieces of wood. not much can be done about that.

i trimmed the ends a bit to get rid of some nastiness, but decided to leave as much length as i could to fit as many modules as possible. i reckon it'll fit about 15 when i'm done, plus a side panel to hide the power supply.

i refinished the piece to be used for the side panels in the same manner as the top and bottom. stg post lawsuit lowpass filter panel for scale.

i set the boards up and used the panel to measure the distance between them. i wanted to leave a little extra space in case a .com cabinet rail became available for purchase in the future. this is going to have to use wood as a mounting surface for the modules - i really hate doing that, for a lot of reasons, but the lack of cabinet rails on the market leaves me little choice. more on that later.

cutting the endpieces to size using the radial death saw.

okay, more in a little bit. i need to unfuck my photobucket
Muff Wiggler
two hours with a belt sander huh? hmmm.....

i think that's very nice work you did actually - better than mine (you had me scared) which is a similar concept, but executed as an even MORE BRUTAL synth rack than yours sad banana Dead Banana

i took a similar shitty pine, and thought "resurfacing? fuck that" and took a hand sander to each piece for 5-10 mins applause

i am a lazy man MY ASS IS BLEEDING

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1580&start=0

scroll down to the third (or so) post to see some pics very similar to yours

not this shit again oh yeah, i had my kids do most of the staining even
DonaldCrunk

the side pieces needed to be slightly different heights due to the warpiness of the boards, so i used the small planer.

once planed appropriately, it's time to apply wood glue to the ends of the... ends. get it smeared all up in there, ooooh yeah

clamp that bitch up! the wood glue was my decision due to the bowing in the wood, using only wood screws would give a structure of this kind more than enough integrity IMO. the only nice thing about this thick-ass wood, i don't have to use any kind of bracing at the joints like you would with ikea bookshelf material or some shit.

drilling pilot holes into the corner pieces. it probably goes without saying, but make sure that you pre-drill anytime you use a screw in a soft wood like pine, or it will split. use a bit about 1/16th inch smaller than your fastener.

countersinking the holes, to conceal the heads of the screws. if i was fancy i would have a countersink bit to do this. i'm not. these cavities will be filled with wood putty. and yes, i know there's a crack. that came with the wood. i like it.

screw time. i found these screws somewhere, i think they're 1 1/2" galvanized deck screws (ironically). use whatever works.

at this point, i set the box aside to cure. time to work on the wooden 'rack rails'. these are just some strips of pine i found somewhere. probably some pieces of trim. maybe 3"x3/4" to start with.

this took a lot of trial and error due to the inconsistincies in the wood, my tools and my patience.

i want the mounting holes a little shallower than dead center of these 'rails' (precise, huh?). this won't do. off to the planer again!

after lots of dry fitting, planing, and cursing i got the rails to the thickness i needed. now i need to drill the pilot holes for the module mounting screws.

these need to be pretty damn exact, 2 1/8th inches apart, so they get clamped up in the drill press.

at this point, i had to go to work. i will continue this in a few days, im excited to see the finished product. the rails will be fitted, it will be sanded some more, finished with some polyurethane, and the power supply panel will be fitted.

this definitely isn't a fancy cabinet, it wasn't meant to be - but it will be cheap, elegant and (hopefully) handsome. building a cabinet like this isn't hard - you don't need the tools that i've got, just a few simple relatively common tools would do.

and if you scavenge wood from dead people like i did, your materials cost is negligible. don't let rack space be an obstacle to expanding your system!
DonaldCrunk
Muff Wiggler wrote:
two hours with a belt sander huh? hmmm.....

i think that's very nice work you did actually - better than mine (you had me scared) which is a similar concept, but executed as an even MORE BRUTAL synth rack than yours sad banana Dead Banana

i took a similar shitty pine, and thought "resurfacing? fuck that" and took a hand sander to each piece for 5-10 mins applause

i am a lazy man MY ASS IS BLEEDING

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1580&start=0

scroll down to the third (or so) post to see some pics very similar to yours

not this shit again oh yeah, i had my kids do most of the staining even

very nice sir, i had noticed that before actually and thought you did a nice job!

children make excellent wood-slaves. i was one as a young lad myself.

also, yes it was about two hours. one 10 minute break for iced tea. i did it the hard way :(
mome rath
welp

Rawk! Rawk!
BananaPlug
Quote:
if you scavenge wood from dead people like i did, your materials cost is negligible

This forum is just full of great ideas! Tombstone
bananeurysm
nice one!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1