MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fuzz land
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Fuzz land
zerosum
welll... lol
Theres just way too many choices... lol
Too many variations. Hard to choose which one to get first.
The "distortion" setup right now is:
Sherman FB
Marshall JH-1 od/dist
Boss OC-2
Frostwave Sonic Alienator
DSI Evolver
Metasonix TM-1(just got it and i love it)
POD XT.

The POD works well for quick crunchy amp/cab basic "get the crunch in
there and move on."
I like it for that, but for eratic,noisy,"less traditional" stuff i havent got anything i like out of it.

So Im looking for something to go in front of the TM-1,
in front of the Alienator,
and after just about everything else with a 1/4" jack.

Im looking for horrible fuzz noisy disasters, but that still have the
potential to be tamed a little when laying off a bit.

Things im looking at:
-Zvex Fuzz factory-I still need to go play this somewhere,
There is something about it that bothers me and makes me not
want to spend my money on it, not entirely sure what it is, but just a
feeling. I dont really have an interest in any of the Zvex stuff,
except for maybe this one.
Anyway it looks to be pretty versatile, and a well rounded, multi-optioned fuzz unit.
Im happy that there is a Vexter series without the stupid "pretty" handpainted hippie stuff all over it.

-Lastgasp Art Labratories 88-super oscillo fuzz:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/lastgasp/88sof/
This might kinda answer my own thread,
but this appears to be what I "need" or what im looking for
in Fuzzland 8)
Options and more options and chaos and more chaos.
Plus it has CV in which would be perfect to have being
modulated with the TM-1!

-Effector 13-
Well thats an example of not being able to pick just one!
lol
-Soda Meiser
-Torn speaker
-Disaster Fuzz
I want all three, cant pick one.

-ProTone Pedals Monsterfuzz
Sigh....Looks really cool, but not sure if its going to give me everything
i need in one pedal....Then again, is there a fuzz that can?(maybe the 88-super oscillo fuzz)

So...With all that said lol Whats everyone got in there Fuzz collection and what do you have to say about your Fuzz??
Muff Wiggler
Great post! What is it about fuzz boxes that keep so many of us buying?

I know for me personally, I have WAAAY more fuzzes than I need, and while a few of them get a LOT of use, some of them get no use at all, I should really trim down. I love having all these fuzz flavours though, and once in a while the one i've been using stops giving me that lovin' feeling, and I have to admit that I really enjoy pulling out 4 or 5 different ones and trying to find the right sound for the moment.

Stuff I've got that falls into fuzzy land...

Metasonix TX-1
Metasonix TX-2
Metasonix TM-1

These three are the ones that make the others all obselete. I get get the widest variety of tones, the most unpredictible (for me this is a huge plus) fuzzes from them, and easily the most interesting sounds. These things are interactive and non-linear as hell, they rarely respond in the same way, and they are just plain amazing. If I had to get rid of everything, these would be the last to go.

Effector 13 Soda Meiser
Effector 13 Vintage Fuzz Master
Effector 13 Truly Beautiful Disaster

The SM and VFM are the 'go to' boxes when I want that 1990's hi-gain silicon fuzz/fizz thing. I don't think there's anything else on the market that dials in this sound so well. The soda meiser is actually responsible for making the guitar feel 'fun' again, and pulling me away from my synth. You just want to crank it loud and WAIL with these things... to me these are 'ego boost' pedals, because they make you feel like the king of everything. The TBD is very special, it's a self-oscillating fuzz, and i like to play with the controls while using it. Used the right way, it's a fuzz that can also serve as a tool to bridge the worlds of electric guitars and synth VCOs. Seriously. You can turn your guitar tone into a pure square wave, then tune the frequency of this wave's oscillation with the knob. A totally unique experience which remains drenched in nasty, imperfect fuzz thorughout. Check out my review of it on the Effector13 website if you want more info.

Well, into the realm of 'fuzzes i don't really use all that often' - of course there's a bunch of EH stuff, these are some of the first fuzzes I ever bought..

EH Graphic Fuzz (really fun!)
EH USA Big Muff Pi (the classic)
EH Little Big Muff
EH Double Muff (really like this one, a huge world of tones)
EH Hot Tubes (vintage) easily the best sounding of the bunch from EH
EH Tube Zipper - not a true fuzz persay, however easily one of the most unique, inspiring and plain wierd pedals outside the world of Metasonix. One of the things it does is tube distortion, and you can get some amazingly full and warm fuzz tones from it
EH LPB2ube - again not a fuzz persay but when you daisy-chain channel 1 into channel 2 and overdrive the hell out of both of them, you get some very beautiful distortion

Also again while more of an OD than a fuzz, one of my favorite 'secret weapons' for guitar tone (note i don't play guitar very much anymore, over the last 5 years or so, but anyway....) is the Tech 21 DoubleDrive. Again two channels and you can drive one with the other. My most common guitar recording setup is the DoubleDrive into a SansAmp Classic. It's absolutely astonishing the variety of tones and sounds and styles this setup allows. I basically dial in the overdrive/distortion characteristics i want from the DD, and then the type of amp/cabinet tone and EQ i want from the SA. In my humble opinion, this little combo blows the living shit out of anything that Line6 can do, in terms of tonality for amp-less recording.

Finally, there's the old standby, the Fuzz Factory. I won't say anything about it, but it wouldn't be a collection of fuzzes without this puppy.
Muff Wiggler
edit - just re-read the original post and figured I should add more info..

about the fuzz factory, I know what you are saying man. I think it's really overpriced! I feel better because I bought mine long ago before I had any clue about soldering or making my own shit - but there really is not a lot of componentry in a fuzz factory, you could make one fairly cheap. Lots of pots and you're looking at $4 or so each, and the case isn't cheap, but that's it, they charge a lot.

on the other hand - they are hand-built, they are hand painted, they are (well less so these days) boutique items. they definately give you sounds that you can't get in a Boss or EH pedal, and in my world that's worth paying for. Also if you consider hand-painted objects as some form of artwork, there may be some value. Still I think these are pretty damn pricey boxes, perhaps to keep them from becoming commodity items?

Compare the price of a new painted FF to the price of a new, painted Metasonix unit. If you ever have the chance, look inside them, at the number of parts, and at the amount of building required to make one. I could do up a FF in an hour, I couldn't even guess how long to make a metasonix box, ages. Hell, there's two seperate PSU transformers in every Metasonix box, just that aint' cheap.

Anyway with the small-run, built-by-hand companies, you'll always pay a bit more, to support their manual labour and smaller production runs. For me it's a fair trade to get something that is pretty unique and not sitting in everyone's rig. Also I appreciate very much things that are made by hand - not everyone would agree though.

Anyway, I hear ya on the FF. It's still a crazy fun little box, although a little more on the 'crazy' then the 'fun' side. If you like exploring noise, it's great, and it works nicely with synths and other stuff

oh, yeah, the Soda Meiser, Vintage Fuzz Maker, and all Metasonix boxes ROCK with synths

and....finally... man that lastgasp art labs oscillofuzz does indeed look extremely tasty!

i can be pretty confident in saying that my next fuzz/distortion purchase will be a TM-7 scrotum smasher 8)
zerosum
Quote:

i can be pretty confident in saying that my next fuzz/distortion purchase will be a TM-7 scrotum smasher

Yes sir!!! grin

Im very excited!
Muff Wiggler
you probably don't want to see this, but since i've been in metasonix mode for the last couple of days, i can't help but rub it in lol

one of the many interesting views in my basement.....

i love this stuff man
$uperpuma
HOLY CRAP!! :shock:
Muff Wiggler
don't worry

i hate me too twisted
zerosum
Great posts muff!
Yeah i think ill skip on the Zvex stuff for now, and just save the pennies for the Scrotum Smasher!!!! twisted
After that ill probly get all three E13 fuzzies!
Yeah you cant have too many fuzzes thats for sure as its presenting itself lol

Quote:
one of the many interesting views in my basement.....

Oh yeah ive seen all your wonderfull flickr photos and your lovely site,
which by the way:
Quote:
Coming soon to this section is a closer look at the modular synth,
a closer look at the Metasonix gear, and a bunch of photos of tons
of pedals. Stay tuned!!

Definitly looking forward to seeing that!! smile

And i talked to my Metasonix dealer(hehehe i love the way that sounds in a sentence) and hes probly violating his Scrotum prototype right now as I type!!
Thats definitly going to come first, which is going to mean I will miss out on a few other toys, but thats ok, because there is reason to believe that the TM-7 just may save the world!!! lol
Muff Wiggler
cool man, thanks for the nice words and for posting 8) how did you come across my internet crap in the first place? through kvr or matrixsynth?

i'll get my gear section of the website updated....hopefully soon, so far this year has been waaay more hectic than expected, but that is long overdue and something i've been meaning to get to...

cool that you have a local metasonix dealer, i can't say i'm so lucky - on the other hand it gives me the chance to buy them from Analogue Haven, which makes me happy because they are the coolest people with the best service and deserve all the business they can get, it really makes me super happy to support them. where abouts are you (Minnesota I think?) and what dealer is there for metasonix? do they carry other cool shit?

cheers
$uperpuma
he was so busy he didn't notice it took several months for me ship out a circuit that included like 10 total parts.... grin
Muff Wiggler
lol

he noticed

it was just that he was too busy to care much

plus Puma was a cool dude about it and was doing the whole thing for really less than what the case is worth

tough to complain!

cheers 8)
zerosum
Quote:
how did you come across my internet crap in the first place? through kvr or matrixsynth?

Metasonix forum as well as Endmusiks blog grin

Quote:
cool that you have a local metasonix dealer

heheh I wish lol
Actually my "dealer" is just a fellow kickass inspirational noisemaker pal
from NY, Its really cool that he is now a Metasonix dealer! It just makes sense.
www.totalmusik.com

Quote:
where abouts are you (Minnesota I think?)

Im dead in the center of Minnehopeless mentalsota grin
To my knowlege i havent found any metasonix users cry
but plenty of Zvex users(well Zvex is from here).
Actually my buddy is bringing his tremorama over tonight,
boy will he be in for a surprise when I whip out the TM-1 and throw it in the chain and pull out the the pictures
of the TM-7 im going to buy as soon as they are offered for sale! grin
Muff Wiggler
hehe very nice, people have found my crappy sites from so many different places!

your friend in NY must be Mr. Weeks. Friend to us all 8)

And I know about totalmusik...they definately deserve the business (speaking of Mr. Weeks...)

Minnehopelesness is actually a pretty decent place! I was surprised (no offense), but maybe i'm biased because it's basically Canada, so I'm gonna probably like it there. Z.Vex users, and don't forget the Prince fans too twisted I go to your town a few times a year for my job, in fact my parent company just acquired a company from there and I'll have to go back there again pretty soon I think

there's also a couple of pretty damn cool cats from KVR who are into some crazy experimental shit living there in the twin cities...one of the world's leading Reaktor headz lives there....
zerosum
Quote:

your friend in NY must be Mr. Weeks. Friend to us all

Sir Michael Weeks The Great!!! grin

Quote:

Minnehopelesness is actually a pretty decent place!

Yeah it works out ok for me, I have left twice and ending comeing back
not long after leaving...Theres something about it that just doesnt let go of me :shock:
I have been up here off and on Since late 2001, Its really easy to live comfortable here.
Ive had a lot of fun since leaving NM to come here.

Quote:
there's also a couple of pretty damn cool cats from KVR who are into some crazy experimental shit living there in the twin cities...one of the world's leading Reaktor headz lives there....

wow cool grin
I havent really been a fan of KVR much, but i have stopped by there from time to time, Maybe we can get that Reaktor head to stop by here and post away 8)

oh wow.....I have finally got a taste of the power of the TM-1 tonight!! :shock: :shock:
Gretsch hollow body> keeley modded tubescreamer>TM-1>Fender Blues Junior= :shock: WOW!!!!
I also discovered that the BEAM CV In is where a lot of magic takes place!!
WE have about an hours worth of recording i HAVE GOT to sort through and chop up, this is wonderfull smile
Total buttrock was happening, it was cool introducing a a primarily blues/jazz player to the world of TM-1 madness!!! He loved it too,
I also loved his tube screamer.

Stay tuned
Muff Wiggler
sounds super fun 8)

if you can find any sort of preamp or line level booster (like the metasonix preamp... or something like an EH LPB2ube is very good...) try sticking it in front of the TM-1

you'll get whole new worlds of possibilities as you crank the input level twisted
zerosum
Muff Wiggler wrote:
sounds super fun 8)

if you can find any sort of preamp or line level booster (like the metasonix preamp... or something like an EH LPB2ube is very good...) try sticking it in front of the TM-1

you'll get whole new worlds of possibilities as you crank the input level twisted

Just got a Pro Tone Pedals Boombox, a cleanboost/EQ VOX/Marshall/Fender tonestack emulator that will add some drive that i cant wait to fuck with!!!!

I would have use my preamp for the session before but i had to have something to mic the amp with lol

Metasonix rocks!!
I want my scrotum dammit!!!!
zerosum
heres a small pile of segments from that day with Colin:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=937820&t=5322

There will be more later, but at least heres a general idea.
Man following the TM-1 with an amp is irreplacable, He needs to come over again soon so i can stick it in his amp grin
Muff Wiggler
cool! thanks for all the posts on my quiet little forum, really appreciate it! 8)

i'm at the airport now on my way to San Francisco, I'll take a listen to this in the next day or two when I get a quiet moment - looking forward to it!

my metasonix gear makes me wish I hadn't sold my big bass cabinet, it would sound so good.....

everything in my home gets played out through a pair of Tannoy Reveal Active monitors, no amps anymore cry

at least the Tannoys sound REALLY good
zerosum
Quote:
Effector 13 Soda Meiser
Effector 13 Vintage Fuzz Master
Effector 13 Truly Beautiful Disaster

The SM and VFM are the 'go to' boxes when I want that 1990's hi-gain silicon fuzz/fizz thing. I don't think there's anything else on the market that dials in this sound so well. The soda meiser is actually responsible for making the guitar feel 'fun' again, and pulling me away from my synth. You just want to crank it loud and WAIL with these things... to me these are 'ego boost' pedals, because they make you feel like the king of everything. The TBD is very special, it's a self-oscillating fuzz, and i like to play with the controls while using it. Used the right way, it's a fuzz that can also serve as a tool to bridge the worlds of electric guitars and synth VCOs. Seriously. You can turn your guitar tone into a pure square wave, then tune the frequency of this wave's oscillation with the knob. A totally unique experience which remains drenched in nasty, imperfect fuzz thorughout. Check out my review of it on the Effector13 website if you want more info.

I got the Torns Peaker and the Vintage Fuzz Master on the way grin
Im very excited!!!
I will definitly have a blast with that, that will take care of my "fuzz" needs for a bit, and i can move onto some other things.

The Truly Beautiful Disaster was the first pedal that got me interested in Effector 13, that was a while back when i didnt have any money.
I will still probly pick one up in the future.

This is a really cool thread on the E13 site that is a good guide:
Similarities in E13 pedals?
Muff Wiggler
i got a TBD in exchange for some work i did for E13 - it was WELL worth it, awesome pedal

i haven't tried the Torn's Peaker, but the VFM is awesome awesome awesome - for guitar i prefer it over the SM, and it's actually probably my #1 favorite fuzz for guitar, that one. love the VFM
zerosum
Holy Fuck!!! grin
I cant remember what i kept saying but it was somthing like that,
It had the words "wow!" and "fuck!" and "oh wow!" "what the fuck!" "fuck man!" "God damn!" "fucking nasty!"

Yeah the Vintage Fuzz maker(harsh orange) makes me want to bend the fuck out of the strings.
This thingt shrieks and gets nasty after you bend the strings, its just fucking sick, its nasty! grin
I need to go to bed, but i had a good time with the Boombox>VFM>mixer.

This will be getting a TON of use.
I cant wait to record with this thing, This is fucking nasty in every sense of the word, just the way its shrieks when you bend strings!
This is something special.

Torn's Peaker was fucking sick with the ER-1 running through it, didnt spend much time with it on guitar.
Definitly a great mangler.

My friend Marlon came over tonight with his Blue Box and Turbo RAT and we patched up some feedback loops and just recorded a bunch of stuff
i havent listened to yet, after words i plugged the guitar into the VFM and it was a permanent grin on my face, as well as marlons, we were both just laughing how sick it was...nasty..

The Torn's Peaker did have some nice results in front of the TM-1,
When i plugged the ER-1 into the TP into the BEAM CV in on the TM-1 the volume knob was controlling the Pulser Stability, it was crazy.
Ill definitly have to chop up that audio file.

Cant wait to get recording with these puppies and just show how awsome these gems are...
VFM just makes me want to blare some mudhoney fucking loud!!!!
"Here comes sickness!!!!!!!"

good night, I love E-13 and i cant wait to e-mail them some sound files and thank them!
Yes there will be more E-13 in the collection!
wow
Muff Wiggler
hehe i remember that feeling 8)

i owe Mike Weeks a big debt, i'd never heard of E13, and I visited Mike's place in NYC and he had a red Soda Meiser sitting there, i just asked 'hey wtf is that?' and right away, i was loving it

great pedals

thanks Mike and thanks Devi 8)
zerosum
I have to add the rocket to the list now that its being expanded upon with the trem wink
I might sell the VFM if i get a rocket....or not sell and have both lol
I love the VFM, but I might be able to get that tone with the Rocket given the nature(s) of its design.
I gotta say my responses have been the same, i went from not being interested to being really interested.
I dont have a Soda Mesier yet, and here is just another way to get that Soda Mesier and more!
The Hymn Strangler/Synth Mangler looks very appealing as well bearing two soda mesiers and joystick! :shock: So cool!
Right now i think im focused on the rocket.
Possibly even more than the TBD.....well they are kinda tied, gotta have both, but man that rocket could do some wonderfull things.
Muff Wiggler
you are going to hate me, but apparently there's a custom Rocket on the way to me, hand-painted by Devi

E13 has been WAAAY too nice to me, i've done a few things for them in return (some PCB design work and a couple of other things) but they treat me so well it's crazy

gotta say i just about peed my pants when Devi said I could expect a rocket "hand painted by yours truly" :shock: 8)
zerosum
Quote:
there's a custom Rocket on the way to me, hand-painted by Devi

Thats cool!
Im sure this thing is suuuuuuweeeeet grin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3