Serge Business Model

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:24 pm

b3nsf wrote: having two DSG's and scaling buffers together is so planned out, you can literally smell the bone soup being brewed by the monkeys in the forest.
:hail: classic! I daresay Rex himself couldn't have put it any better!

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:12 pm

HexEnduction wrote:I hate the fact that when I go to In n' Out they won't sell me a pizza. They need to seriously reconsider their business model. :razz:
I'm pretty pissed that my Arp 2600 is all stuck together. I sawed the modules into separate pieces but that didn't seem to help. They really should just release their stuff in Euro format. :sadbanana:

I don't actually own an Arp 2600.

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:14 pm

parasitk wrote:
HexEnduction wrote:I hate the fact that when I go to In n' Out they won't sell me a pizza. They need to seriously reconsider their business model. :razz:
I'm pretty pissed that my Arp 2600 is all stuck together. I sawed the modules into separate pieces but that didn't seem to help. They really should just release their stuff in Euro format. :sadbanana:

I don't actually own an Arp 2600.
:yay:

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Like this?
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:41 pm

mono-poly!

don't throw them out in your recycling :eek:
i'll give them a good home!

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:41 pm

:woah: Those shafts sure are long!!! :lol:

Rex would have a joke ready in 2.4 seconds if he saw this... :hihi:
its like saying you experience michaelangelo because there is a picture on your happy meal
--shreddoggie
Last time I checked there was nothing Vanilla about old Chi- Acid....that shit's Chocolate as it gets.
--Kendall Station

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

It's an old Serge Kit witch never got finished really.
Maybe one day someone will.
I guess i won't.

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:53 pm

I HATE PEOPLE COMPLAIN SERGE COST TO MUCH AND THEY WANNA BUY A SINGLE MODULE.
SPEND UR CASH WITH DOPFER STUFF.

AND I HATE SMURFS TO!

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:04 pm

I have no problem with the price - as I know the quality... but its a shame Rex has stopped doing custom panels. Personally that suited me fine.

Cosmetically I prefer the way he did entire panels rather than individual modules, but it has prevented me buying more used panels in the past due to duplication.

I'll try and come up with some wish-list M-panels in a sec'.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:08 pm

bartlebooth wrote: so you wouldn't want individual modules, half panels or full panels, only custom panels?
That's right. I like a lot of the full panels Rex put together, and I would buy one as a starting point, but eventually I would want a custom panel to fill out the features that interested me.

Someone help me out with this one: How do you buy a TKB Quantizer module to accompany your TKB?
bartlebooth wrote: Don't you think Rex stopped offering these not because he wants to dictate what people should buy but because it wasn't an efficient way to run his business? What other small shop does all custom work?
Of course he did, and more power to him. I really hope it works out for him. But his choice definitely affected my purchasing decision, because he no longer sold his product in a format I wanted. I assume that losing a few crusty guys like me was more than made up for by his M-Panel sales.

Idea of the day: How about a 20% surcharge for custom work?

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:11 pm

chrisso wrote:
b3nsf wrote: It's for our own good... our smart buys are probably sonically weak:
That's nice.
Suddenly the guy who sells us the synth knows best how we make our music.
Sorry I don't buy that, and neither do the other modular companies who do let the customer choose.
So maybe buy from one of them? I agree with you in principle, but who really cares? Buy from one of the other great manufacturers that better meets your personal needs. Serge is a great product, but it doesn't have to be the right product for you.
Last edited by bwhittington on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:17 pm

The quantizer is nice but i rahter use a scale programmer/generator by Analogue Systems

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm

parasitk wrote:
I'm pretty pissed that my Arp 2600 is all stuck together.
Is this the best argument for Serge panels people can muster?
The Arp 2600 was last made 30 odd years ago.
They really should just release their stuff in Euro format.
If Arp were still in business, like STS and Buchla, I would agree with you.
In fact there's a market for 2600 style modules, and if anyone wanted to clone them they'd be crazy to package them in a super expensive, all or nothing box like the 2600, instead of in modular format.

I don't actually own an Arp 2600.[/quote]

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm

b3nsf wrote:what is wrong with some duplication?
I don't need anymore oscillators, certainly no more Serge ones.

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:07 pm

you are getting anoing.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:09 pm

I just got off the phone with Rex. My Animal should be arriving late next week. Yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:10 pm

bwhittington wrote:
So maybe buy from one of them? I agree with you in principle, but who really cares? Buy from one of the other great manufacturers that better meets your personal needs. Serge is a great product, but it doesn't have to be the right product for you.
So any debate is stifled? You can't propose anything as a forum discussion to alter the current scenario regarding STS and the Serge modular system?

Fact of the matter is I have a large banana based modular system containing, Modcan, Cyndustries and Fenix.
I had a 3 panel Serge system that was all custom ordered by me, and I never found it unbalanced. In fact my first panel is still with me and contains all my favourite Serge modules. That panel is nothing like any of the M-odules that Rex offers.

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:34 pm

chrisso wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
So any debate is stifled? You can't propose anything as a forum discussion to alter the current scenario regarding STS and the Serge modular system?

Fact of the matter is I have a large banana based modular system containing, Modcan, Cyndustries and Fenix.
I had a 3 panel Serge system that was all custom ordered by me, and I never found it unbalanced. In fact my first panel is still with me and contains all my favourite Serge modules. That panel is nothing like any of the M-odules that Rex offers.
I wouldn't say any debate is stifled, but this is getting quickly nowhere. We can and have debated the hypotheticals of STS making individual modules or custom panels again, and we are now going nowhere but in circles. STS is the way it is, and if you can't buy what you are after from them, you should buy from some other great manufacturer as you obviously have. I think people just want this thread to be limited to more productive conversations.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 pm

OK. :oops:

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 pm

chrisso wrote: So any debate is stifled? You can't propose anything as a forum discussion to alter the current scenario regarding STS and the Serge modular system?
You are welcome to post about this all day long, as far as I am concerned. It's no more or less relevant than most other threads, and I enjoy the diversion this forum provides.

My suggestion was simply that you consider a manufacturer that better suited you, but it sounds like you've already put together a great system.

Your dilemma is a perfect example of why I didn't go with Serge. After buying several panels, I think I would have a good idea of what modules I did and didn't want. Not being able to make that choice would irk me. But I took my own advice and went with a different manufacturer.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Yep, I agree. :tu:

(As above, I've now had my say)

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Wow, you took me seriously! :hmm:

But yeah this thread can go in circles forever. It's kinda ridiculous. Even if everyone here agreed with you it's not like that would change anything. Let it go.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:04 pm

It's not something that keeps me awake at night.
I just thought it was worth mentioning in the context of the Buchla business model and the explosion of other small modular lines over the last 5 to 10 years.
I could have left it on page one, but inevitably suggestions I let Rex 'balance' my module choice for me, dragged me into more of a debate. :mrgreen:

In the end, if I recommend the Serge Frequency Shifter (fabulous) to someone on a forum, or the Wave Multiplier (monster!), they find their route to ownership a little more tricky than from other small synth companies.
I think that's a shame, but that's where my passion in this debate ends.
It's a shame in my humble opinion. If I'm wrong to think that, it's cool.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:13 pm

I don't totally disagree with you, BTW. I like the full panel concept, but it'd be nice to at have customizable panels. The Animal is almost everything I'm interested in a Serge panel. A tweak here and there, and it'd be perfect. Still, I'm not going to let it stop me once I'm ready to get one. The module it's missing (DUSG) I'll bee DIYing soon anyway - no biggie.

That and a TKB and there's my Serge fix. Modcan and banana DIY for the rest of it (DIY is also covering the Buchla modules I'm interested in).

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:22 pm

chrisso,

hey Im sorry for suggesting you balance your module selection, that would be foolish of me, and really really is not my style.... :doh:

But what is more interesting to me is what modules do you like from the serge line up? I wrote in saying mine would be preamp detector, mixer pro, ÷N, VCF Q, and frequency shifter..... On the surface this is lots of meat, but subtly it is balanced because of the mixer and the preamp, however the meat being ÷N, VCF Q and the freq shifter... this would be a lonely slab with no fork stuck in it, just a little tenderizing by the occasional guitar pluck...

anybody else got thoughts?? :waah:
its like saying you experience michaelangelo because there is a picture on your happy meal
--shreddoggie
Last time I checked there was nothing Vanilla about old Chi- Acid....that shit's Chocolate as it gets.
--Kendall Station

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”