MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TIFF or PDF to HPGL
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author TIFF or PDF to HPGL
helitron
HI folks,

I would like to make a professional (ie Schaeffer) frontpannel for my Hordes of Chaos module. However the fronplatedesign was made in powerpoint (yes, dont laugh!) and I would like to convert it to HPGL. ANy ideas how I could do that? From powerpoint I can export to tiff or pdf and I would need to somehow make it cad compatible and then exprot it to HPGL from there. The Schaeffer design tool only imports HPGL.

could anybody help me out wit that?
or any other idea regarding professional frontplates would be helpfull.

thanks, hel
bubblesound
this probably won't help, but if you go with a company that uses the metalphoto process, like most eurorack modules, they can print from your PDF. and i'd be surprised if it was that much more than Schaeffer...
otherwise i would imagine that you'll need to redraw it... sorry i couldn't give you any real advice.
wetterberg
nah, that was actually pretty sound advice; use someone other than Schaeffer...
flight
helitron
You could give this a try:
http://www.sharewareplaza.com/Raster-to-Vector-download_34116.html
15-use shareware raster to vector converter, including HPGL. I don't know how well it works though.
helitron
Thanks for the infos.

I had quite god experience with Schaeffer for all other frontpanels I made so far - but I guess I could widen my horizon in that. however I dont know any companies that would do metalphoto processing around austria. guess i have to ask google for that.

@flight: thanks - that looks promising, will try it out soon

cheers, hel
sanders
I just gave this program a go; I'm not too graphics saavy I should say. I tried it with jpg and bitmap images with very poor results. It sort of just spit out a child like rendering of the original image I fed it. These are a couple versions--using different settings--of converted Buchla Music Box logo:
flight
Yeah, that looks terrible.
Find someone that has CorelDraw, it can export HPGL.
flight
OK, I found a couple methods that should work. There are a ton of raster-to-vector programs out there, but they are all very pricey. I found a vector-vector converter (ps to plt) that should work fine. If you're computer-savvy (read: a bit of a hacker twisted) I'll give you the links. If not, just send me your file & I'll convert it for you.

<edit>

Here's a quick conversion I just did. I used an EPS of a plague Bearer jack panel board, cleaned it up in Illustrator (convert text to outlines, expand paths to outlines, add points to retain curves, etc.), converted it to HPGL and opened it in FPE to view the result. I didn't bother with the fill areas, just the outlines. Click on image for full 1600 pixel wide image.
helitron
@sanders: thanks, i also had a look at the conversion - gave me the same crappy results. so, thats not an option.

@flight: unfortunately im not that computer-savvy :( and it would be nice if you could convert the file for me. let me know what I can do in advance in Ps so that you don't waste to much time on the file with cleaning up.

cheers, hel
flight
I think the trick to using the raster-vector converter is to start with a large high-resolution image, but that's moot now.

helitron, just send me the ppt if you still have it. I'll take a look at it and see if any cleanup needs to be done; While Photoshop is excellent, it's best to avoid an unnecessary rasterization if it can be avoided. You should always try to keep conversions to a minimum when working with graphics, so it's best to go with the originals.
LetterBeacon
If someone makes a good quality HPGL file of the Buchla logo, I'll be grateful of a copy.... 8_)
helitron
flight wrote:

helitron, just send me the ppt if you still have it. I'll take a look at it and see if any cleanup needs to be done; While Photoshop is excellent, it's best to avoid an unnecessary rasterization if it can be avoided. You should always try to keep conversions to a minimum when working with graphics, so it's best to go with the originals.

I will send you the ppt file via mail.

thanks nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1