MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge TKB vs Sequencer Panel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Serge TKB vs Sequencer Panel
iVardensphere
Ok, I know they're different animals (pun fully intended!) but I have to pick between the two. Yes, it's a very first world problem;)

Has anyone here had experience with both? Which gives the most bang for the $$ or was always useful to them?


Thanks ahead of time!
cebec
If I could only have one I would choose the Sequencer panel. Best bang for the buck and always useful. My TKB often doesn't get patched whereas I can almost always find a use for something on the Sequencer.
iVardensphere
Perfect input. Thanks!
richard
both, sorry!
Shasta Cults
I haven't used the Sequencer but the TKB is one of the coolest pieces of audio electronics I've used.. i love it.. would be even cooler if it had its own clock source.
chorus7
Scott it depends on how you want to use it... If your thinking live I'd go with the TKB but if you thinking studio functionality I'd go with the Sequencer panel (granted both can work the other way around as well)... If you could do both you'd be a happy man but that said think about how you want to use it and this should help the decision...

I might have another option for you... thumbs up


Joe
sersch
I have owned a TKB and have replaced it with an M-Boat with DUAL ADSR and SQP sequencer. Never lookded back.

If I had more room (and funds), I'd always prefer an M-BOAT with 2 SQP sequencers in it over a TKB.

Reasons:

- I found the pressure sensitivity of the TKB to not be very useful. I always had to trick it into a more musical behavior (for e.g. loudness and filter articulation) routing it thru an ACPR (and using the pressure to control the ACPR, if I recall correctly).

- I rarely every used more than 6 steps for a sequence, so I found the 16 steps to be a bit too much for me. Yes, I often split the 16 steps into e.g. 3 groups with 4 to 5 steps each, but I'd rather have had 2 different sequences going on simultaneously.

- With a 2 SQP setup I could use one SQP as a sequencer, and the other as a preset memory for four voltages.

But that's just me, hope it helped nevertheless.
ear ear
Get thee to Quadslope. There's a couple of days worth of threads comparing these two panels - pretty interesting and informative stuff.
m0rb1d
the tkb makes a serge system truly a playable, expressive instrument imo.
DrOctave
get both

but get the tkb first if you love to be part of the sound more
get the seq panel first if you like the construction of the sound more.
if this makes sence
Soviet Space Child
Sequencer Panel user here. You can't do this with a TKB:

http://sovietspacechild.bandcamp.com/track/sipping-homebrew
confusional
The Sequencer costs about $1k more, probably for a reason. 8_)

But it can't do what the TKB can do. we're not worthy
confusional
sersch wrote:


- I rarely every used more than 6 steps for a sequence, so I found the 16 steps to be a bit too much for me. Yes, I often split the 16 steps into e.g. 3 groups with 4 to 5 steps each, but I'd rather have had 2 different sequences going on simultaneously.


With a TKB, you can have 4 different sequences going on simultaneously. The gate outs can also be patched programmed in a daisy chain to to create a 'pulse-train', which is wonderful for making funky rhythms.

But none of this was obvious to me when I first approached the TKB. It's such an open ended panel, that it's sometimes hard to appreciate what it's capable of.

The Sequencer panel is awesome, as is the SQP Sequencer and the Sequencer A. But the TKB is the master controller that can play them all together. The sequencer that sequences the other sequencers, in harmony with the capacitance flowing through your body.
MechaSeb
Buy my sequencer panel !! It's a real beast twisted twisted

No seriously, it's really a matter of taste here but you can't go wrong with any of the two. I found myself using more the TKB but i think i will regret selling my Seq panel... seriously, i just don't get it
b3nsf
I use the red gate outs (1-16) on my TKB in every patch, just pick 5 and 13 and your patch starts to sound like electro, etc....
Vsyevolod
So it sounds like there's consensus here. Get the TKB. No, get the Sequencer panel. No, get the TKB...

smile

Stephen




.
Nils
Not having used any of them, personally I'd choose the Sequencer panlel since the SQP principally is a mini-TKB.

It's got all the TKB features except the touch pads, and of course the 16 steps.

What it does have over the TKB are stage select inputs, making it even more open-ended than the TKB.

And then you've got all the other funs stuff as well; ASRs, Boolean functions, divider, 8x2 sequencer etc..
sersch
confusional wrote:
With a TKB, you can have 4 different sequences going on simultaneously.

I only count 2 voltage sequences that can run in parallel (the A, B, C, D outs clocked by the "horizontal" clock input, and the ABCD output clocked by the "vertical" clock input) and both are related in so far as they share the same voltage values, but differ in the way when they output which values.

Summing some of the gate outs is not a different sequence in my book, as it runs by the same clock as the A, B, C, D outs.

Please, can you explain how you arrived at the number of "4 different sequences"?

Quote:
The gate outs can also be patched programmed in a daisy chain to to create a 'pulse-train', which is wonderful for making funky rhythms.

This is not specific to the TKB and can be done with an SQP as well.
Scories
One thing you have to know, is that the Sequencer pannel require more voltage than the TKB. A PS2 (Power Supply for up to 2 panels) can run an Animal and a TKB, but not an Animal and a Sequencer; You'd either have to use a PS4 or two PS2.
confusional
sersch wrote:
confusional wrote:
With a TKB, you can have 4 different sequences going on simultaneously.

I only count 2 voltage sequences that can run in parallel (the A, B, C, D outs clocked by the "horizontal" clock input, and the ABCD output clocked by the "vertical" clock input) and both are related in so far as they share the same voltage values, but differ in the way when they output which values.

Summing some of the gate outs is not a different sequence in my book, as it runs by the same clock as the A, B, C, D outs.

Please, can you explain how you arrived at the number of "4 different sequences"?


The book I'm reading is very short. It contains only one sentence. Allow me to recite: "Four separate outs, each providing up to 4 separate sequences, of up to 16 steps in length." hihi

But seriously, though. Yes, there is only one clock input to the TKB. But let us not conflate the clock timing with the sequence(s) itself, for they are different things.

An obvious example: Each of the four output values could be patched to play totally separate 1 volt per octave melodies of separate lengths. Just because they may be running at the same time does not make them one sequence.
MechaSeb
Scories wrote:
One thing you have to know, is that the Sequencer pannel require more voltage than the TKB. A PS2 (Power Supply for up to 2 panels) can run an Animal and a TKB, but not an Animal and a Sequencer; You'd either have to use a PS4 or two PS2.


Wrong. A PS2a can run up to two shop panels (or 4 M-Class) and i personally never had problem trying to use both my Animal with the Seq Panel on one PS2a. Actually you can run up to three panels if the last one is a TKB. The only thing is true is that the Seq panel require more voltage than the TKB.
sersch
confusional wrote:
Yes, there is only one clock input to the TKB.

It actually has two clock inputs, the CLOCK input for horizontal stepping (voltages available at row outputs A, B, C, D), and the VERT CLOCK for vertical stepping (voltage available at ABCD out).

I am just harping so much on this because I assume the OT wanted some insight where the strenght of the different Serge sequencer offerings are. The VERT CLOCK is unique to the TKB, whereas its 4 different sequencer rows and the ability to sum individual gate outs are not unique to the TKB, as the SQP offers this too.

Quote:
But let us not conflate the clock timing with the sequence(s) itself, for they are different things.

And we should be clear in what we are talking about.

In my original post I wrote that I prefer an M-BOAT with 2 SQP over a TKB, as 2 SQPs allow me to run 2 different sequences simultaneously. To this you replied that a TKB can run 4 different sequences simultaneously.

As it turns out, you were counting the sequencer rows, while I was counting sequencers themselves. This explains our different numbers. The SQP offers the same number of rows as the TKB, so using your counting, the combination of 2 SQPs would produce 8 different sequences.

I am glad we solved the misunderstanding.
Nils
EDIT: Brainfart...
Scories
MechaSeb wrote:
Scories wrote:
One thing you have to know, is that the Sequencer pannel require more voltage than the TKB. A PS2 (Power Supply for up to 2 panels) can run an Animal and a TKB, but not an Animal and a Sequencer; You'd either have to use a PS4 or two PS2.


Wrong. A PS2a can run up to two shop panels (or 4 M-Class) and i personally never had problem trying to use both my Animal with the Seq Panel on one PS2a. Actually you can run up to three panels if the last one is a TKB. The only thing is true is that the Seq panel require more voltage than the TKB.


On my Animoo+Sequencer quote, Rex charged ma a PS4. He told me that an Animoo+TKB would be fine with just a PS2. Must be hard to argue with Rex on that level...

When I asked him, he wrote that they could work but would ideally need more voltage headroom.
confusional
sersch wrote:
confusional wrote:
Yes, there is only one clock input to the TKB.

It actually has two clock inputs, the CLOCK input for horizontal stepping (voltages available at row outputs A, B, C, D), and the VERT CLOCK for vertical stepping (voltage available at ABCD out).

I am just harping so much on this because I assume the OT wanted some insight where the strenght of the different Serge sequencer offerings are. The VERT CLOCK is unique to the TKB, whereas its 4 different sequencer rows and the ability to sum individual gate outs are not unique to the TKB, as the SQP offers this too.

Quote:
But let us not conflate the clock timing with the sequence(s) itself, for they are different things.

And we should be clear in what we are talking about.

In my original post I wrote that I prefer an M-BOAT with 2 SQP over a TKB, as 2 SQPs allow me to run 2 different sequences simultaneously. To this you replied that a TKB can run 4 different sequences simultaneously.

As it turns out, you were counting the sequencer rows, while I was counting sequencers themselves. This explains our different numbers. The SQP offers the same number of rows as the TKB, so using your counting, the combination of 2 SQPs would produce 8 different sequences.

I am glad we solved the misunderstanding.


Me too. Thank you. Sometimes the limitations of threaded conversations and my ability to follow them let us down. Much appreciated!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group