MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adding CV voltages together
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Adding CV voltages together
TWINSTATES
Hey al,

So modular synthesis, awesome for being able to connect and FM things and intermodulate different modules and sources.

I have a question regarding mixing pitch cv. how does it work, if i have a cv signal going to an oscillator and add another cv signal (say both have been caliibrated to an oscilator) do I need to perform some kind of mathematical function to make sure that it adds together and gives me a meaningful (i.e. in tune) value?

I ask as I am taking delivery of a cv mixer tomorrow and a precision adder so was just curios about how to best use them

of course the usual cable em up and twiddle some knobs till you get somehting good still applies smile but figured it's also good to know what you are doing as well!

Thanks to anyone that can chip in and explain it a bit to me. . .
stretta
TWINSTATES wrote:
how does it work, if i have a cv signal going to an oscillator and add another cv signal (say both have been caliibrated to an oscilator) do I need to perform some kind of mathematical function to make sure that it adds together and gives me a meaningful (i.e. in tune) value?.

I ask as I am taking delivery of a cv mixer tomorrow and a precision adder so was just curios about how to best use them

You've answered your own question. If you want to take two calibrated signals and combine them, you use that precision adder you have en route.

With Volta, let's say you want to take the output of two step sequencers to control an oscillator. Calibrate the step sequencer in slot one, then switch to the sequencer in slot two and load the calibration from slot one. Take the CV outputs of slots one and two and plug those into the precision adder. This allows you do do stuff like have a sequencer running at 16ths for notes, and a sequencer running at whole notes to transpose the pattern.
1nput0utput
If you're using the Volta AU plug-in, you could also do this in the host app's mixer. Using Stretta's example, you would have an aux track (or input monitor-enabled audio track in Live) routing each Volta slot to a hardware output. Change the outputs of the two aux tracks to be the same internal bus; then use a third aux track to route the signal on that bus out to the audio interface.
TWINSTATES
Hey thanks for the replies guys.

i seem not to be able to calibrate volta going through the precision adder. not sure why yet. . .

If i try 1inputs method what happens when i reach 5 volys, I am not in danger of damaging either my interface or my rig am i?

I am super hesitant with this stuff as I am not used to cv. Hit signals, fine, know where I am with that stuff and as long as it's not ridiculous then you are fine. CV has me a little worried all the time at the moment smile
stretta
TWINSTATES wrote:
Hey thanks for the replies guys.

i seem not to be able to calibrate volta going through the precision adder. not sure why yet. . .

Calibrate your oscillator like normal, THEN patch into the precision adder.

Don't worry, you're doing great.
stretta
TWINSTATES wrote:
If i try 1inputs method what happens when i reach 5 volys, I am not in danger of damaging either my interface or my rig am i?

Your maximum output voltage is limited by the audio interface, not the DAW software. So, you can mix signals inside your DAW. If you clip, the audio interface simply sends the maximum voltage it is capable of, and Volta does this constantly (like gate and trigger signals, for example) Combining signals with the precision adder will give you more headroom than summing signals in software.

There isn't any difference between summing two hardware LFOs with the precision adder and summing two Volta LFOs with the precision adder. This is pretty common.
TWINSTATES
Quote:
So, here's a thought. Could I use that to automate some stuff on my modular through live.

I know that mackie control works but i dont have a desk that will work with that protocol.

There are two ways. One is to use a Volta Ramp and record automation with your DAW. This technique varies from DAW to DAW. Some daws may allow you to use any generic MIDI control to record automation.

The second way is to use a Volta MIDI chicklet. This will allow you to record any MIDI CC or aftertouch message for CV automation. Of course, this allows you to leverage your DAWs MIDI editing capabilities to modify recorded automation data.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1