MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alesis Quadraverb Plus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Alesis Quadraverb Plus
Paranormal Patroler
I'm thinking of buying an Alesis Quadraverb Plus. It's quite cheap and I've read that it has find use from Aphex Twin to FSOL to Autechre. Especially Booth and Brown are really picky when it comes to reverbs.

Can you guys share some info on it? Any ideas if you can go crazy with it via MIDI?
skipperdean
i bought an original quadraverb last week, literally just racked it, haven't midi'd it yet... so far it does the trick and for the price it can't be beat.
RealDudes
doesn't it have some crazy effects like comb filter and other stuff? I'd imagine that a CV>midi module would be awesome with that sorta thing
Johnisfaster
Ive got a quadraverb gt and a midiverb III, both sound really good. Programming can be a chore for some people but I dig it.
Paranormal Patroler
Well I don't mind programming to be honest, although I've heard it's quite easy to do with the QV. How far can you go with it MIDIwise?

I really want a reverb that I can mess up in real time. You know, panning tricks, reverbs coming and and going out in crazy times, stuff like that. I've read the plus has a multitap delay which I think might really come in handy.
widdly
I've got one of those. There are a lot of options for midi cc control of parameters. I think it has 8 CC destinations per patch. I don't think the Delays or LFO's sync to midi clock though.

They have pressure sensitive buttons so pushing harder makes the parameters scroll faster. That makes programming a little easier. There are a lot of parameters for setting levels of the routing. The routing and mixing of the effects is quite flexible which makes it fiddly to program.

There is a neat resonator program that takes midi note on/off messages and controls band pass filters. You can use it to turn pads in the rhythms.

There is a strange Ring Mod program that lets you separately control the level of the Sum and the Difference components. Unfortunately the inbuilt modulator oscillator has a limited range.

The main attraction is long washy reverbs. Great for ambient stuff and shoe gazing guitar. I think most people just leave them set on the Taj Mahal preset.
Paranormal Patroler
Wow, if the Delays don't sync to MIDI that would really suck. But then what would the Tap Delay be in that case?

I can't seem to find many info on the MIDI implementation but I think I'll get the QV+ just because it's cheap.

Is it that noisy?
skipperdean
Not that noisy.
Repeater
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
But then what would the Tap Delay be in that case?

Multi-tap delay.
Paranormal Patroler
I think the Resonator stuff alone is worth , don't you agree? I just need it to be MIDI controllable so I can do this:

http://vimeo.com/20951708
jonah
With the regular quadraverb you can use 8 MIDI controls at once. If you apply fast enough modulation to any of the parameters it will sounds "crazy". I mean, just set the stereo delay to high feedback with short delay times and and assign a MIDI S+H LFO to the delay times.
Paranormal Patroler
jonah wrote:
With the regular quadraverb you can use 8 MIDI controls at once. If you apply fast enough modulation to any of the parameters it will sounds "crazy". I mean, just set the stereo delay to high feedback with short delay times and and assign a MIDI S+H LFO to the delay times.

A MIDI S&H LFO? Didn't quite get that. hmmm.....
jonah
Well, what are you planning on controlling the quadraverb with?
Paranormal Patroler
Shit, this can get really complicated to explain. I was thinking of creating something similar to the video I posted above of that Buchla module and I tend to use a TenoriOn as a MIDI controller for everything.

Are you at all familiar with its functions? It has this cool Bounce mode where the notes move vertically on this 16X16 grid, so I was thinking of using each vertical line as a separate EQ band. But then again the QV has a 5 band EQ.

Anyways, the TenoriOn does output NoteOn messages and the Quadraverb does this perfect thing of accepting NoteOn messages as MIDI modulation signals for the parameters so I think I'll try that one up.

Apart from that I can remap NoteOn messages to any possible MIDI message so that wouldn't be a problem. What do you have in mind?
jonah
I have TNR-i and yeah, bounce mode rocks! Can you remap each of the 16 note ons to any MIDI CC?

Actually, you can set positive or negative mod amounts on the quadraverb so you should be able to get interesting results even only using note on values.

I thought you wanted the sound to change like in that video, but you're more interested in "drawing" the tone with the TenoriOn's bounce mode?
Paranormal Patroler
I do like the sound of that video, so if you have any ideas on how the QV could achieve that sound please post them. I'm sure people around would like to know as well. Do tell about the MIDI S&H LFO.

As for the TNR,

To be honest the basic idea that came from that Buchla video was the vertical movement of the EQ bands. I instantly thought "that would be a cool feature on a TNR. So how do I go about programing something like that on Bounce Mode?".

So I run into the QV which looks promising on many different aspects. I'd like to be able to control things on the QV via the TNR and I have a MidiSolutions Event Processor that can handle the MIDI remapping. But after looking into it I have to say that it wouldn't work the way I want it on Bounce Mode, although I could achieve something similar on Draw Mode. Don't know how it would sound but it looks promising as I said earlier.

Anyway I wouldn't like to derail the thread even though if I started it myself. If you are interested, since you do own a TNRi, I'd be happy to discuss the TNR programming part privately.
ix
Quote:
[quote="Paranormal Patroler"]I'm thinking of buying an Alesis Quadraverb Plus. It's quite cheap and I've read that it has find use from Aphex Twin to FSOL to Autechre. Especially Booth and Brown are really picky when it comes to reverbs.

the plus model has resonators that i heard are really cool , the 1st version doesnt.

Both versions have more soul than virtually any other verb on the planet .Its a certain vibe and sound that some slag off but if you like that early vibey idm then the quadraverb is essential.

Put an sh 101 through a quadraverb on a long setting and your there.
Paranormal Patroler
Shit, you just about have persuaded me. It's dirty cheap so I might as well go for it.
deastman
The difference between the Plus and the original is just the eprom, so you can upgrade it if you can locate a copy to burn. I do love the reverb, and the resonators are pretty cool. I have to disagree,however.... It's horribly noisy.
Paranormal Patroler
Oh the one I have in sight is the plus alright, so no upgradin' needed. Nosy in a bad/unusable way? It's like my producin' is state o' the art for that matter.
deastman
Nah, its all good. Just don't be surprised if you hear some hiss.
hangovercat
Just for the sake of comparison, consider the Lexicon LXP 1 and/or 5 if you see them for sale. They were also very versatile in terms of MIDI specs. Never owned either myself but people always spoke highly of them.
Paranormal Patroler
I think I can handle the loss of 80 euro for a little bit of 1U crazyness. SlayerBadger!
aumgn
It's horribly noisy.[/quote]

i have a quadraverb here thats not so bad , the big issue i find with them is the input overloads one minute and the next minute you dont have enough signal coming in.
wsy
I've had a Quadraverb for 20 years. Back then it was considered a "rack mount supercomputer", and had to get a special dispensation from the US Department of State to allow export.

And yes, even the first version can do a great moving-tap comb filter controlled from MIDI.

I have no intent to sell mine. They're good machines.

- Bill
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2