MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOS-LAB advice and experiences?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author MOS-LAB advice and experiences?
Karl Jeffers
Hi,
My vacation money is in and I want to buy an upmarket modular synth. Right now I have about 5 cases of AS and Doepfer modules, witch I am very happy with. But now I want to add higher quality modules. I realy like the sound of the new Macbeth modules and they are on the top of my list. But after some searching I found the MOS-LAB modules, they seem to be what I want (I like the Moog modular sound, looks and ergonomics) and these modules are a bit cheaper than Macbeth. The sound files of MOS-LAB are a bit short to properly hear how they sound, and the sound files of Macbeth seem to have better soundquality.

So are these modules worth buying and how do they match up to macbeth?

In advance thanks for your reply.
Waz
Have you considered some of the other euro makers? Cwejman is supposedly top notch.

If I were to stray from euro (which I plan on doing), I'd go with a banana jack system. Serge maybe? Mod-can? Buchla?
cavage
i am quite ignorant regarding some people here
but i hada achance to play with a system integrating dotcom/motm/blacet and moslab for instance.
from a noob hear, i "felt" moslab wasnt so impressive ( nervous ? ) than others, maybe comparable with dotcom, wich is not a problem as i have quite a few dotcom modules ...
my fav goes to blacet and motm of course, and probably other brands i dont had the chance to compare

just my two cents smile
mono-poly
Somehow i think mos-lab is good.
Yves Yuson was pretty positive about the system.
JohnLRice
If you are in Europe and want a Moog look and sound, I'd say a combination of COTK (Club Of The Knobs in Lisbon Portugal), MOS-LAB (France?) and Moon Modular (Germany?) would be your best bet. I live in the USA and have ordered from both COTK and Moon in the last 6 months and have had only positive experiences! w00t

Check out this forum and search for MOS-LAB. As mono-poly said, Yves Yuson has a lot of MOS-LAB, COTK and his own designs and has a lot of pictures up and discusses the proc/cons of the different systems.
http://www.modularsynth.net/
Karl Jeffers
I will get more euro modules in the furure, theres just to much cool modules. Macbeth will be Euro only if I understand corectly.

I don't like the sound of Serge. My taste is the warm sounds of system 700/ moog modular synths, and Macbeth seems to have that sound nailed. Maybe Mod-can and Buchla will sound good to me, but I've not heard them. I'm going to listen to them as soon as I can. Theres just to much out there to make eazy choices.

And I must agree with cavage, the MOS-LAB soundfiles on their site just don't convince me. It seems to lack the power of Macbeth in the very low regions. But the soundfiles are way to short to give an acurate impression. Maybe someone can post properly recorded files of MOS-LAB.

On modularsynth.net was a guy (I think his name was Stijn) that had delivery problems with COTK, so I will stay away from that to.

Again thanks for the replies. Best Karl.
JohnLRice
Hi Karl,

Have you watched the YouTube demos of MOS-LAB? I think they sound pretty great IMHO:

Ken Macbeth makes great looking and sounding synths and he seems to be a really nice guy, so that seems to be a great choice too.

Synthesizers.com and Synth Tech (MOTM) both makes great stuff! love A majority of my system is Synth Tech MOTM and it's really awesome stuff.

Don't forget Moon Modular too. Seriously great stuff but they don't have a complete line of modules yet (no VCOs, LFOs, VCFs, etc) so you can't really build a full (traditional) system using just their products.

I personally think COTK is awesome too, great looking and sounding stuff, really nice construction and in my experience their communications and shipping/delivery abilities were as good or better than all of the other modular manufacturers I've delt with.

As far as Stijn on ModularSynth.net is concerned, either he isn't telling the whole story in the forum and putting an big negative spin on it or . . . what he shared with me in a couple personal messages isn't true so . . . . now i'm not sure what to think about him or his stories. confused
Karl Jeffers
JohnLRice wrote:

As far as Stijn on ModularSynth.net is concerned, either he isn't telling the whole story in the forum and putting an big negative spin on it or . . . what he shared with me in a couple personal messages isn't true so . . . . now i'm not sure what to think about him or his stories. confused

Thanks for the video's.

It seems that Stijn lives about 30Km from me! I will try if I can speak to him personaly.

Right now I think of getting a small MOS-LAB system like in the last video and I still want the Macbeth vco and vcf/vca modules.
SynthBaron
Just sent the wire transfer for my modules in. Still have about 2 months to wait for the order, but I had the money so I might as well just send it now. Two 3-oscillator banks, a 904 filter set, VCLFO, and Filter/Noise module.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
suitandtieguy
how are you powering them?
JohnLRice
suitandtieguy wrote:
how are you powering them?

Yes, good point, especially since I believe MOS-LAB uses +-12v only.
SynthBaron
I'm gonna get another surplus bi-polar linear off eBay. 1.5 amp should be plenty.
haiku-ish
i've a small 8U portable cas system, well built !
great feel.
yusynth
haiku-ish wrote:
i've a small 8U portable cas system, well built !
great feel.

Hello Haiku-ish aka Geo

I also own some 30 MOS-LAB modules (among which 5VCOs, 3x 904a) and I am really satisfied.
On the photo below, the MOS-LAB modules are those in the middle upper bar, the right upper bar and the right cabinet. (The other modules are COTK and a Moonmodular trigger sequencer too)
wyrtti
Since the MosLab modules use +-12V, one can also easily use a Doepfer PSU, if one has Eurorack stuff. Just a question of cable and I believe MosLab will make the right kind of cables if you ask them.

I´m trying to move from a tiny eurorack system to a 5U system, so for me the Moslab sounds excellent because of the 12V power needs. I can keep my Doepfer PSU and use it with the Moslab stuff.
Peake
Beautiful system Yves. That's what I'm talking about!

Also, full kudos to Ken Macbeth, who indeed appears to have "nailed it".
yusynth
Peake wrote:
Beautiful system Yves. That's what I'm talking about!

As you can see on the photo, the cabins are not perfectly standing because the MDF booards they are sitting on are too thin and tend to bend.
I am finishing new shelves in thicker MDF and will shoot another photo then 8_)
yusynth
I've updated the photo above with new shelves/stands and exposed in natural (I mean no flash, though it's not day light seriously, i just don't get it ). Exposure time 8s : that's why all the bulbs of the sequencer are lit...
SynthBaron
I got a package today:

JohnLRice
@SynthBaron: MOTHER FREAKIN CHRISTMAS!!!!!! w00t screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!

It's nice to see some behind the panel shots of MOS-LAB stuff, hard to find! Looks good! thumbs up
MindMachine
Nice score Jay!! w00t Oscillators...?? What else...? How long was the wait?
dude
fucking shit yeah man!
SynthBaron
MindMachine wrote:
Nice score Jay!! w00t Oscillators...?? What else...? How long was the wait?

6 oscillators, 904abc filter set, VCLFO, noise and filter module. Ordered first week of December, so yeah...be prepared for a wait. At least it got here before the volcano killed air traffic, lol.
MindMachine
Nice choices. Pretty much what I had an eyeball on, except you scored six VCO's!!!! woah Please post your opinions and some tunes when you have a chance. There needs to be more of a MOS-LAB presence here. Congrats again. applause
Spiked Lunch
Very cool, SynthBaron woah I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5