MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

de-solder assistance request - may be a long shot but...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author de-solder assistance request - may be a long shot but...
emergencyofstate
Hi guys...I figure this is a long shot but here goes...

Would anybody be willing to help me (for a fee of course) de-solder the display on an elektron monomachine and install a new one?

I have a brand new display from elektron. I just lack a professional grade de-soldering station (strong pump) which is what this job will take to pull the other one off. My local and reputable keyboard repair shop will do this for me...but for a $150+ charge.

Plus, once I get the monomachine up and running I'm highly likely to put it up for sale or trade so this may work out perfect for someone that's looking for a good deal on a monomachine (mkI)

anyway let me know if anyone is down. Ninja
sduck
Rat shack has solder wicks and solder suckers for very inexpensive prices. I've had great luck with these.
consumed
do you solder and are comfortable with the job? a solder pump costs about $20 or so.
emergencyofstate
sduck wrote:
Rat shack has solder wicks and solder suckers for very inexpensive prices. I've had great luck with these.

My friend and I actually tried with a solder sucker but quickly realized it's only going to be possible with a solder pump. I'm waiting for my friend to send me the picture we took (which I'll post here when i get it) but the display sits on an independent board that is connected to the main board via 10 pins. these pins go through holes that are only about as big as the pins themselves and each is soldered this way...it will need a constant heat source to melt the solder then some serious suction to pull the solder out of the tight space.
emergencyofstate
consumed wrote:
do you solder and are comfortable with the job? a solder pump costs about $20 or so.

Unfortunately I'm not comfortable with soldering beyond soldering an input jack on my guitar.
wetterberg
I'd have loved to help you... alas...

geography is a conniving c#nt...
emergencyofstate
wetterberg wrote:
I'd have loved to help you... alas...

geography is a conniving c#nt...

It really is. That's why I didn't send it to Elektron in the first place, It was $350-400 just for the out of warranty "repair" + shipping. d'oh!

From what my buddy told me..it's a simple process you just need a really strong pump. Something similar to this:

www.sourceresearch.com/store1/quickstore.cfm?ProductID=198672&do=detai l
webb
While I use a standard spring solder pump for simple repairs I use a Hakko 808 Desoldering Gun for larger projects. I bought a dead Cocolase from ciat-lonbarde.net a few years back and used this to remove all the SMT chips that were blown. Trust me, well worth the money AND it makes salvaging parts a breeze too.

http://www.kiesub.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=8
wetterberg
A good normal manual solder pump (with a good tip, important!) will usually take most of the solder, and then I simply glide my soldering iron across the tips (oo-er) to loosen the rest - I can do 8-pin SIL headers like that, probably more... but not a lot, unless I get lucky wink
emergencyofstate
wetterberg wrote:
A good normal manual solder pump (with a good tip, important!) will usually take most of the solder, and then I simply glide my soldering iron across the tips (oo-er) to loosen the rest - I can do 8-pin SIL headers like that, probably more... but not a lot, unless I get lucky wink

Really? Hmm. hmmm..... I wonder if I should attempt this myself.

I do think I'll end up selling the MM to raise module money anyway. You're not looking for a monomachine are ya? thumbs up I wouldn't mind shipping overseas.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1