MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

contributions for the Grant Richter & Rex Probe intervie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Author contributions for the Grant Richter & Rex Probe intervie
s o l v e n t
Hi,

Could somebody please point out to me where it was posted that we are collecting contributions for this?

We have received several contributions with messages like this attached to them -- see below.

This was an idea that I was discussing with someone from this list, but we did not get into any specifics, and he jumped the gun on this even though I made it clear to him that we had some details to iron out before he should actively start pursuing this. He no longer replies to my emails about it either, so I haven't got a clue where he posted about this & what exactly he said. Unfortunately these contributors have been mislead and I am going to have to get in contact with these people individually to offer refunds.

Needless to say, this venture did not work out, for a number of different reasons.

Please PM me if you are able to point out where this was posted, &/or if you are one of these contributors.

thanks,

Jason, producer IDOW

My Perk is for the interview of grant richter from Wiard, i wish to see his interview in your documentary

This is my second contribution; it’s for the Grant Richter and Rex Probe interviews.

this contribution is for the Grant Richter and Rex Probe interviews
Babaluma
i don't really understand what you are saying solvent, but as an aside, i for one would consider a modular renaissance documentary without interviews from rex probe or grant richter to be somewhat incomplete! lol
s o l v e n t
Babaluma wrote:
i don't really understand what you are saying solvent, but as an aside, i for one would consider a modular renaissance documentary without interviews from rex probe or grant richter to be somewhat incomplete! lol

There was an idea that we could perhaps collect enough contributions, made specifically towards this cause, to make it happen. Someone from the list offered to try to coordinate this initiative, but he didn't do it according to my instructions, and now I have a handful of people who have gone ahead and contributed to the cause, even though it has proven to be unfeasible.

Rex Probe and Grant Richter interviews would've been great, I agree. But it didn't work out, and not just for financial reasons.

By the time we complete our last interview, scheduled for Jun 27, we'll have interviewed over 100 people on the subject of modular synthesizers. If I were to compile a list of people we "have to" interview, according to other people, it would likely contain another 100 people... Just to give you some perspective.
Babaluma
ah, i see... so mr probe and richter were perhaps not partial to being interviewed? i know they are both somewhat reclusive, at least as far as the internet goes.

yeah, i get the herculean feat that you have undertaken in order to complete this project, but i agree that it will be a real shame not to include these two luminaries.

so now you have to pay back the money to all the people that contributed financially to these particular interviews?

good luck with the project, and i am every much looking forward to seeing the finished article!
s o l v e n t
Babaluma wrote:
ah, i see... so mr probe and richter were perhaps not partial to being interviewed? i know they are both somewhat reclusive, at least as far as the internet goes.

no nothing like that.

Babaluma wrote:
so now you have to pay back the money to all the people that contributed financially to these particular interviews?

well yes I figure I need to at least offer this, considering they were under the impression that their contribution would go towards that.
Low-Gain
yes.. but Wiard... Serge.. .They're sort of MUST HAVE's for the film..
Besides.. it would be a great excuse to come visit WI and while you're so close.. stop by MN ! smile
6.4 Billion
That's too bad. I was especially looking forward to an interview with Rex Probe, having read some of the threads on him here at muff's.
bwhittington
Be sure to ask Rex about his business model. lol
HeWhoWantsJeans
Low-Gain wrote:
yes.. but Wiard... Serge.. .They're sort of MUST WANT's for the film..

Correction made. While it would have certainly been a plus to have their involvement - it's not as if the documentary, with it's 100 interviews featuring composers, performers and manufacturers, will be anything less than (likely) the most comprehensive documentary on modular synthesizers to date.

Low-Gain wrote:
Besides.. it would be a great excuse to come visit WI and while you're so close.. stop by MN ! grin

...though I can't argue with that. We'd love to Wiggle with you in MN!

Bottom line - I'm sorry for you, Jason. It's a shame that someone, likely with the best of intentions, ended up landing you and your crew in a pickle. Best of luck sorting out the mess.
s o l v e n t
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
Bottom line - I'm sorry for you, Jason. It's a shame that someone, likely with the best of intentions, ended up landing you and your crew in a pickle. Best of luck sorting out the mess.

nah it's not that big a deal... just wanted to stop it before more people donated for this cause... I've heard from the guy now & it looks like it's all sorted so I just have a handful of people to talk to about offering refunds
sydilaxe
I would hope that there is at least a mention or discussion of Wiard and Serge in the film.
s o l v e n t
sydilaxe wrote:
I would hope that there is at least a mention or discussion of Wiard and Serge in the film.

Serge definitely comes up, some Wiard appears - can't seem to recall if it was discussed though...

HOWEVER, I really do think that anyone who is thinking in these terms has the wrong impression/expectations of what this film is all about, because the goal and intention was never to create a textbook about modular synthesizers. It is just as much, if not more, about people than it is about synths. The trailers and extended interviews we've posted to Vimeo communicate the tone of the film very effectively IMO.

From what I understand, Mark Vail has a book coming out soon that should cover the facts in detail - it *is* a textbook; I Dream Of Wires is not.
NYMo
One would have to think that Rex and Grant would easily be in the top 100.......no ??

Cheers
sydilaxe
I do understand the tone of the film. I have watched the trailers and the interviews. I have not seen the film yet (obviously). However, I think it is unfortunate that Grant Richter and Rex Probe did not make it into the film. These were two individuals who were/are pivotal in the resurgence of the modular synth. Rex was even selling modulars during the "death" period. Grant brought innovation back to modular synthesis, rather than rehashing decade old ideas. He acknowledged the history and built upon it. I understand that there are circumstances that lead to the lack of their involvement.

I read the following statement about the film: "Our aim is to create a definitive document on the modular synthesizer revival." I know that it is not about being comprehensive, but I wonder how definitive it can be without these voices in it. I guess I will wait and see (and boy am I excited to watch this).

Don't get me wrong. I think it is phenomenal that you all have done this; it is a huge undertaking and everyone seems extremely passionate about it. Kudos.
sydilaxe
Thinking about the resurgence...

I was not around during the birth of modulars. I bought my first modular synths in 1998-99 (a small Serge system and Synton Fenix). There were not many options out there at that time. Eurorack was Doepfer and very little else. Serge was in California. Technosaurus was in existence. MOTM was just starting to bag kits. It was a different time then. I wouldn't have gone modular if Ben Neill had not introduced me to his small Synton 3000 system. It is fantastic that the community has grown and that we have so many choices. Yes, that is the key word..."choice"...

We choose to use modular synths for a variety of reasons and methodologies in the same way that many artists choose not use them.

Anyway...I don't want to derail things. Can't wait to watch more IDOW!
noobyscooby
I'm sure looking forward to the movies about modulars and electronic music that everyone else is going to make. They will all be perfect and include everyone and everything that they are supposed to.
BHC303
Did you guys end up interviewing Rex @ STS?

Cheers
s o l v e n t
BHC303 wrote:
Did you guys end up interviewing Rex @ STS?

Cheers

No we didn't.
xart
I remember talk about a GR/Wiard documentary in the late 90's / early 2000's...

I know for a fact some video documentation of the events happening around the early days of wiard are around ...I don't know how much or what ever happened to the project...

Maybe the forum member who told me about the idea in passing over a decade ago will chime in on this thread...

Rest assured people knew something special was happening in that Milwaukee basement .... I would love to know if the project was ever followed through...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Page 1 of 1