MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sequantizer fun
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author sequantizer fun
slow_riot
with a good mixer/attenuator you can easily get a second set of sequence values out of the Sequantizer. All the gate outs are a solid 10v (from a reference voltage I think, so are very accurate). Plug this into a mixer like Blacet Mixer Processor (I need to attenuate the output of the upper section with the bottom one to take it into a more useable range). Add a couple of mults and you've got another set of sequence values for another oscillator or such.

If you're feeling even more adventurous you could put one of these gates or multed gates into a vca and sequence them with something else.

The Sequantizer has a lot going for it.

Also lots of fun to be had with the envelator, especially if using the crossfader on the bottom of the module, and the square out to slide or octave in.
chamomileshark
I got some interesting results using it as an oscillator and then varying the tone of the oscillator through select and possibly reset
dogoftears
has any one tried using the Sequantizer as a waveshaper/audio processor? always wanted to hear what that sounds like.
chamomileshark
I think, and I may be wrong that clocking it audio rates and making it oscillate is the same thing as using it as a wavershaper?

In that case, yes, I spent time doing this. You can basically draw a waveform with it, then by using select to change the order of the steps modulate the tone.

I don't think I got it to track so well but I think I had added another layer of complexity so that probably threw it out.

I do do remember getting a sound the dead spit of a theramin that was sort of surprising.

When I unpatch from what I'm currently working on I may give it another go and put up samples.

I also used envelators as oscillators - I have a feeling I've done whole tracks using them as a sound source.
dogoftears
chamomileshark wrote:
I think, and I may be wrong that clocking it audio rates and making it oscillate is the same thing as using it as a wavershaper?

In that case, yes, I spent time doing this. You can basically draw a waveform with it, then by using select to change the order of the steps modulate the tone.

I don't think I got it to track so well but I think I had added another layer of complexity so that probably threw it out.

I do do remember getting a sound the dead spit of a theramin that was sort of surprising.

When I unpatch from what I'm currently working on I may give it another go and put up samples.

I also used envelators as oscillators - I have a feeling I've done whole tracks using them as a sound source.

would love to hear sound of the sequantizer. i sort of wonder if you can get nice clean wave shapes from it or if it is kind of dirty sounding or what, but from yr above description it seems it is quite useful.

envelators as oscillators makes perfect sense. in a Serge system you do this a lot with the slope generators. they even have a 1v/oct input.
Roycie Roller
dogoftears wrote:

envelators as oscillators makes perfect sense. in a Serge system you do this a lot with the slope generators. they even have a 1v/oct input.

i agree! the envelators are fantastic drone sources, especially with the cross fader.

i never tried it, but you possibly could make your own waveforms by running the envelator at audio-rate, then 'interrupting' it with fm into the A & D ins, and the other inputs... hmmm.....

and, the mixolator is also a wicked module to make new tones with, using the ring modulator and cross modulation of 1 into the other. the more mixolators = more sub-oscillations, chords, sub-octaves, etc, etc!!
dogoftears
Roycie Roller wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

i agree! the envelators are fantastic drone sources, especially with the cross fader.

i never tried it, but you possibly could make your own waveforms by running the envelator at audio-rate, then 'interrupting' it with fm into the A & D ins, and the other inputs... hmmm.....

and, the mixolator is also a wicked module to make new tones with, using the ring modulator and cross modulation of 1 into the other. the more mixolators = more sub-oscillations, chords, sub-octaves, etc, etc!!

this is what's wonderful about the 300 system...
i imagine that modulating the rise and falls of the envelator at a narrow but different audio rate while it's already running at audio rate would cause some very interesting waveshaping.

i use a euro format XMix for some of the above described Mixolator functions you point out.
chamomileshark
ok, I've done a few examples.

I think I may have been talking bollox about using select to change the waveform when you use the sequantizer as an oscillator because I can't get it to work

So this is the Sequantizer driven at audio rate. Output is from unquantised, starting with a square wave - knobs set alternatively max and min, then moving the knobs to create more complex sounds.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/chamomile-shark/sequantizer[/s]

And this is an envelator, it starts with it set at AD, then part way I set it to AR. The A mod is being controlled by an LFO. Right at the end I give it a helping hand.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/chamomile-shark/envelator[/s]
chamomileshark
Another thing I have done for classic "TD sequences" is to use the Blacet VCO as the clock source (pulse wave)

If you send some of the step gates from the sequantizer to a mixer - then feed that into the +/- of Balcet VCO the gates cause it to double in frequency and you the sequentizer speeds up and then goes back to the normal clock.

Other thing is if you take say gate 3 and send it to "reset" and select stage 1 you will get 1,2, 1,2 and so on. Start turning the select knob and you get other sequences of varying lengths
dogoftears
thank you so much for posting that chamomile. i am so happy to hear that the sequantizer and envelator can both act as fantastic, unique waveshape(r)s.

do the envelators have audio inputs for envelope following? can they be used as low pass gates, like a VCS? i know the euro envelator doesn't, but maybe the 300?
chamomileshark
hi, currently I am going through the Wiard Yahoo group - all 4,000 messages to pick up tips and ideas.

Apparently, yes, it can be used as an envelope follower, I've just seen a posting on that now in the archives - but it doesn't say how and because envelope followers have never been my thing I've not gone looking. Doesn't seem to be in the envelator pdf but then that is deliberately incomplete.

If I see anything in the archives I'll send you a PM.
slow_riot
It's possible to extend this technique further.

Patch a gate (or gates plural) out to the little crossfader on the envelator (or an XMIX if you have one, which I believe would work better, the envelator crossfader is not designed for this task and you get some offset which needs to be adjusted for).

put a dummy cable into input one on crossfader, and the gate(/s) into input two.

Patch another sequencer (perhaps another sequantizers 10v out, or a Binary Zone is perfect) into mixmod.

Patch the output from the crossfader into transpose in on the original Sequantizer.

Now, at 0v on your transpose sequencer, the steps that are patched into the crossfader will stay where they are. A positive voltage means you have tranpose per step controllable from an external source.

!!!
slow_riot
just to revise this patch. if you want more useable behaviour. Use the gate out from the Sequantizer for the Z or Mixmod control, and not your pitch value from sequencer for it, because the Z control or Mixmod is linear and not exponential.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1