MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta and sidechain questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta and sidechain questions
doctorvague
On the MOTU site it says this:
Note: Generally, any recently updated AU host that supports AU instrument plug-ins with multiple sidechain outputs should work with Volta. If you're not using the current version of one of these hosts, MOTU recommends Digital Performer 5.13 or later, Logic 7.2.3 or later, and Live 7.0.16 or later. While earlier versions of these applications may work with Volta to some extent, they have not been fully tested and are not recommended.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I am on DP5.13 and have a very serious dislike for DP6. Am I not going to be able to calibrate anything using Volta in DP5? I was unaware of this when I purchased Volta and if I'm reading this correctly, that is a real bummer. That certainly isn't how I would interpret the above quote since it specifically says 5.13. Hope I am wrong about this or am missing something!! Eventually I'd like to use Volta within Numerology but I guess that is a ways off...

The whole sidechain thing I just don't understand. Why doesn't Volta simply output to the assigned audio output for the track it is instantiated in? Why side chains at all?

On a related note, I have 8 outputs enabled for the 24io, but when I assign those in Volta, they're named Analog 1, Analog 2, Analog 1, Analog 2, etc. Can this be changed somewhere or is there a workaround? I have no idea where these kinds of things are stored. If this is the way it has to be, it's quite confusing and will get worse as I use more channels.

Has any thought been given to make Volta a rewire slave to avoid some of these sidechain issues altogether? The sequencers in Volta are free running and not tied to the transport, which seems very strange to me. Is this another sidechain issue, or intentional for some reason? Given a choice I want any sequencers in Volta tied to the host transport and sync'd (like a Rewire slave would behave). Is there a way to do this?

I have a bunch of other questions but will stick with this topic for now.

Thanks for your help!
Phil
stretta
doctorvague wrote:
I am on DP5.13 and have a very serious dislike for DP6. Am I not going to be able to calibrate anything using Volta in DP5?

DP5 is not the current version of DP, so it hasn't been tested. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work or calibrate, though. Personally, I understand your hesitation. I didn't upgrade to DP6 until 6.02. Remember how smooth and flawless DP's audio engine was in OS9/DP3.12? All that glitchless audio editing? Yeah, this is back in DP 6.02. That was reason enough for me to go to 6. It really does run better and you get used to the interface.

Anyway, it sounds like you already bought Volta, so why not simply start using it?

Quote:
The whole sidechain thing I just don't understand. Why doesn't Volta simply output to the assigned audio output for the track it is instantiated in? Why side chains at all?

Volta isn't like other plug ins. Most plug ins have a mono or stereo input and a mono or stereo output. Easy. Volta has 24 inputs and 26 outputs.

Volta IS like a virtual instrument in that your external hardware (your synthesizer) is interfaced to your DAW as a normal virtual instrument. IE: the audio output of your synth is returned to your DAW exactly like every other virtual instrument, though the plug in itself as you describe.

Sidechains only come into play as an AU plug in, as a limitation of the AU spec. Under DP, as a MAS plug in, Volta can directly access the core audio driver for both inputs and outputs. Sidechains are not used.
doctorvague
I misunderstood the whole MAS - AU -DP5 - DP6 sidechain situation.
Ball of confusion.
Thanks!
doctorvague
doctorvague wrote:
I have 8 outputs enabled for the 24io, but when I assign those in Volta, they're named Analog 1, Analog 2, Analog 1, Analog 2, etc. Can this be changed somewhere or is there a workaround? I have no idea where these kinds of things are stored.

Is there a solution for this? It becomes problematic very quickly and I haven't figured anything out on it...
stretta
[quote="doctorvague"]
doctorvague wrote:
Is there a solution for this? It becomes problematic very quickly and I haven't figured anything out on it...

In the MAS/DP version, you select/map the outputs of your audio interface directly for each slot. You're seeing the channel names as they are published from the driver. So, if you're using a 24io, then you're seeing Analog 1, Analog 2, etc... as options. I'm using two 828mk3s, so I see different options ADAT Optical A1, etc...

In the AU version, the outputs of volta are generic outputs as they have to be assigned in your DAW. Volta has 24 CV outputs so they are simply sequentially numbered Output 1, Output 2, etc...
doctorvague
[quote="stretta"]
doctorvague wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

In the MAS/DP version, you select/map the outputs of your audio interface directly for each slot. You're seeing the channel names as they are published from the driver. So, if you're using a 24io, then you're seeing Analog 1, Analog 2, etc... as options. I'm using two 828mk3s, so I see different options ADAT Optical A1, etc...

In the AU version, the outputs of volta are generic outputs as they have to be assigned in your DAW. Volta has 24 CV outputs so they are simply sequentially numbered Output 1, Output 2, etc...

Maybe I'm not asking my question correctly. When I pull down the menu to assign an output, what should be "Analog 3" is Analog 1, Analog 4 comes up as "Analog 2, and it's 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 all the way down the list of 24 outputs. If I want to assign Analog 18 I have to physically count down the list with my finger on the screen. What can I do about this? I have the latest 24io driver.
stretta
Quote:
When I pull down the menu to assign an output, what should be "Analog 3" is Analog 1, Analog 4 comes up as "Analog 2, and it's 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 all the way down the list of 24 outputs. If I want to assign Analog 18 I have to physically count down the list with my finger on the screen. What can I do about this? I have the latest 24io driver.

This is a problem with Logic, not Volta. It doesn't respect the custom names AU spec. This works as it should under Live.
doctorvague
stretta wrote:
Quote:
When I pull down the menu to assign an output, what should be "Analog 3" is Analog 1, Analog 4 comes up as "Analog 2, and it's 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 all the way down the list of 24 outputs. If I want to assign Analog 18 I have to physically count down the list with my finger on the screen. What can I do about this? I have the latest 24io driver.

This is a problem with Logic, not Volta. It doesn't respect the custom names AU spec. This works as it should under Live.

I'm in DP5.13 on a dual 2.5 G5
1nput0utput
doctorvague wrote:
stretta wrote:
Quote:

I'm in DP5.13 on a dual 2.5 G5

I'm seeing this problem in DP too. But if I switch to my UltraLite instead of the PCI-424 system, there's no problem. I think Volta is just displaying the PCI-424 channel names wrong.
stretta
Sorry - I didn't understand the issue properly. I thought you were talking about the two channel offset issue. Dead Banana
doctorvague

I tried checking and unchecking "Enable routing" in PCI Audio Setup and that didn't make any difference.
These outs show up normally in DP, Numerology and PCI Audio Setup. I'm only getting this 1-2-1-2 thing in Volta itself.
stretta
Yeah, that ain't right.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1