MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arp Odyssey and Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Arp Odyssey and Volta
Analog>Plugins
I went to see how my Arp Odyssey would work out now that I have replaced all of the sliders on it.

It did calibrate to 8 octaves which is impressive to say the least...but.....

The trigger doesn't seem to be loud enough to really trigger the Arp at full volume, it is a bit odd as pressing the Arp's keyboard triggers a sound twice as loud. Maybe it's my cabling as for some odd reason it's a balanced type (stereo lead) Jack to 3.5mm plug.

Also the Odyssey will on trigger using th attack,realse contour instead of the adsr, in fact the adsr is totally out of action even with the filter when using with Volta?

I'll try the Kenton Pro Solo MMkII on it in a bit to see if that works.

Oh and Stretta.... I finally got Volta working on a PC running Windows in Cubase 5.1, send me an email and I'll tell you how I did it as I don't want to put it on a public forum out of respect for your product oops

Does anyone have an Arp Odyssey that can shed some light though to the above problem, maybe the 2408mk3 sound card isn't powerfull enough to trigger the Arp... maybe I need to build an amp for the trigger...hmm I could use the main out's as they have more oomph...
xpander
i'd try the main outs if i were you, see if the extra 1.8v makes a difference. i thought the trigger was essentially a binary function though- as in it's only looking for an on/off so the voltage shouldn't effect the amplitude.
stretta
Could be the odyssey wants to see a really strong trigger signal. Might try an external amp, or as was already suggested, the main outs (or headphones).

I'm curious about your Windows hack.
Analog>Plugins
Yeah I think the trigger on the Odyssey is different from the Pro 1 in that the volume of the trigger dictates the volume of the VCA, could be interesting for volume gains.

But it is odd how the main adsr stops working as I can only control it from the small AR contour.

I shall report back in a bit.
Analog>Plugins
It was the output trigger volume SlayerBadger! It now works beautifully.

Damn I love this Arp, Volta makes it so much more useable now.
doctorvague
Seems like some of the older stuff likes to see more trigger voltage. My Monopoly's are spec'd for 15V triggers but they'll actually work down to about 7-8 volts. They won't trigger from 5V though like most modern analog gear will.
1nput0utput
stretta wrote:
I'm curious about your Windows hack.

Me too.
Analog>Plugins
It's not so much of a hack... but does require a working Volta running on a mac to set up. But now that I have finished my testing I am able to run my synths inside Cubase 5 running on a PC.

I won't go into the details as I'm hoping for a PC Vsti version to be coming or at least some word that it is being looked at. And if I released these details it would seriously hamper sale maybe if a pc version was being worked on.

But it does work for sure smile
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
It's not so much of a hack... but does require a working Volta running on a mac to set up.

It sounds like you're using the Mac just to host the plug-in and control the audio interface that's outputting control voltages, which isn't really a hack at all.
Analog>Plugins
Nope..... I am running 100% on windows on a PC controlling both my Arp Odyssey and Sequential Pro-1 inside Cubase 5.1 that is running on the PC.

Totally sample accurate and 100% in tune, but no pitch and only 2 channels i.e note on and pitch.

Only one computer being used woah
Analog>Plugins
What I meant was no Pitch wheel, only gate and initial pitch.
1nput0utput
Then what's hosting the AU?
Analog>Plugins
No AU plug being ran twisted

But Volta was essential without it I could not have got it to work. There is a little overshoot on the pitch for the 1st 1-3ms by about 10-20% which is annoying, sounds as if you applied a slight pitch to envelope.... but annoying if you didn't want that in your sound.

I'm using it to compose with on my PC, then when I'm happy with the track i.e the midi notes and synth sound whatever analog I'm using I then save the Cubase 5.1 song..... dump it to my mac drive back up......reboot into my hacintosh OSX 10.6 on my PC.....load Cubase 5.1 and song with Volta running as an AU plug inside Native Instruments Core.....print off the track using Volta....reeboot back into PC etc and import printed track.

Why all the hassle, because my best plugins that I use are PC only along with my other apps.

Pleas Stretta give us a hint on the PC Vst version of Volta???? help
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
No AU plug being ran twisted
…
I'm using it to compose with on my PC, then when I'm happy with the track i.e the midi notes and synth sound whatever analog I'm using I then save the Cubase 5.1 song..... dump it to my mac drive back up......reboot into my hacintosh OSX 10.6 on my PC.....load Cubase 5.1 and song with Volta running as an AU plug inside Native Instruments Core.....print off the track using Volta....reeboot back into PC etc and import printed track.

What you're saying just doesn't make much sense. If you're not hosting the Volta AU or MAS plug-in in some other app, then how are you using Volta under Windows? What are you using to generate CV in Cubase under Windows if it's not Volta?
stretta
Keep in mind, the output of Volta can be bounced to audio files, which then can be opened in any DAW on any platform.
Analog>Plugins
Ok I'll come clean. I designed an awesome multi for Kontakt 3, it allowes me to control my synths with basic pitch and trigger.

Whilst not a replacement for Volta as you need that to calibrate etc to make patch...... it does allow me to use my current set up which is based on pc until there is a vst version
stretta
Ah! That is great. Very clever idea. nanners
Analog>Plugins
Glad your not angry about that Stretta, I didn't want to shout it out at first out of respect. Volta is needed as without it is not worth thinking about setting up the patch.

It still has the slight pitch overshoot for some reason. And Kontakt seems to be the only sampler that works, I've tried loads of others. It is a pain having to load up the Hackintosh each time to export the track properly.

Could you let me know if motu are considering a vst version then I promise you won't here me ask that question again?
stretta
Analog>Plugins wrote:
Could you let me know if motu are considering a vst version then I promise you won't here me ask that question again?

I can tell you I can't answer that question. Yay!

There is a smaller hurdle to porting to VST on the Mac, vs. porting to anything on the PC, FWIW.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1