MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise Phonogene equivalent in soft ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Make Noise Phonogene equivalent in soft ?
locobitch
Hi everybody,

I have actually not the money to afford the Phonogene Module and I want to know if it exist an equivalent in soft.

A reaktor ensemble would be just perfect grin

Thanks in advance for your help.
thetwlo
better:
b1257+12
CJ Miller
thetwlo wrote:
better: b1257+12

I have wanted this software for years!

I still use and love nato.0+55+3d, and have done a lot of work using the 0c3_sndhak.module to drive FM synths. Stuff like this is why I love my maxed-out liquid-cooled G4 tower.
zdarma
thetwlo wrote:
better:
b1257+12

wow.
A long time ago and a galaxy far, far away.
Leoespejo
I have an Max/MSP patch made, sorry i don't remeber, but later i'll search and send the link, anyway if you make a google search with phonogene and max i think youu'll find it.

If you don't have Max you can download the runtime, at cycling74's page, is free and in my opinion one of the best music softwares ever made.

Well i made the search and find it, hope you like it

http://www.tristan-shepherd.com/software/phonogene.html
jonah
Audiomulch? Perhaps mess with the pulse comb and granulator and delay?
newgreyarea
Leoespejo
I don't suppose you have a Max for Live version of that? For some reason it wont let me open it to follow the instructions I've found to convert.

Per Ableton FAQ:
To do this:

open the original patch in the standalone version of Max

copy the entire contents of the patch

open Live

load an empty Max Instrument, Max MIDI Effect or Max Audio Effect, depending on the type of device you're trying to make

click the empty device's Edit Button to open the Max editor
paste the contents of the original patch into the editor

You may need to modify the new device to take into consideration the pre-made input and output objects.

Great patch though. Took me a sec to figure out what was going on. Made some cool soundscapes.
Thanks for sharing!!
CJ Miller
Max > Live
newgreyarea
CJ Miller wrote:
Max > Live

I'm afraid I'm not following you. hmmm.....
I have Max for Live.
I can open Phonogene outside of Live but not in it.
-b
locobitch
Thanks for all your answers thumbs up
The Phonogene for Max look very nice... but...

newgreyarea wrote:
Leoespejo
I don't suppose you have a Max for Live version of that? For some reason it wont let me open it to follow the instructions I've found to convert.

Per Ableton FAQ:
To do this:

open the original patch in the standalone version of Max

copy the entire contents of the patch

open Live

load an empty Max Instrument, Max MIDI Effect or Max Audio Effect, depending on the type of device you're trying to make

click the empty device's Edit Button to open the Max editor
paste the contents of the original patch into the editor

You may need to modify the new device to take into consideration the pre-made input and output objects.

Great patch though. Took me a sec to figure out what was going on. Made some cool soundscapes.
Thanks for sharing!!

newgreyarea wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:
Max > Live

I'm afraid I'm not following you. hmmm.....
I have Max for Live.
I can open Phonogene outside of Live but not in it.
-b

You can find the .mxf file in the content of .app packet but I can't edit it for copy it into Max for live.
Is it possible with a .mxf file ? Or must we necessary have the .maxpat ?
iVardensphere
Reaktor.
dadek
nice. thanks for the share leoespejo. applause
DT
iVardensphere wrote:
Reaktor.

Ensembles example?
migrations
If you go into the user forum for Reaktor,you can find some interesting granular things that people have made. There are 2 in particular that are phenomenal. I believe they were created by the same person. One is called the resynth, the other is called granulator. Granulator is a bit harsher, sounds better with real world/acoustic samples. The resynth works a bit better for synthetic or tonal based material. the playabilty of these synths is what makes them so incredible. several envelopes and polyphony up to as many voices as your computer can spit out makes for some incredible tools. Not exactly like the phonogene, but can be made really useful with some reaktor utility LFO's sent to control some of the parameters. Just really well made sampling/granular synths and completely FREE! Also check out the synthi emulator while you're in there. awesome free synth as well
rjungemann
thetwlo wrote:
better:
b1257+12

I was having a really hard time googling for this, but here's a link to a Wikipedia article about the creator at the very least with a bunch of links at the bottom (had to bit.ly the link because it has parens in it and it freaks out the BBCode url tag).
dan_k
Kenaxis give you 6 sample loopers that could be used much like the phonogene plus other tools.

http://www.kenaxis.com/

it's a cool performance tool written in max. Obviously you don't have the cv control.. actually you could probably rig some stuff up with cv to midi.

There are a lot of controls under the kenaxis hood to allow for variation and randomization.
Kent
CJ Miller wrote:
I love my maxed-out liquid-cooled G4 tower.

Hey! Do you have any tips or links to quieting and cooling a Dual 533MHz G4? I would like to get back to using this again, but it's too damn noisy for the current living situation.
CJ Miller
rjungemann wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
better:
b1257+12

I was having a really hard time googling for this.

Since b1257 is a pulsar, many search results will be astronomical. I dropped a few more keywords into the search.

0f0003 maschinenkunst wrote:
(Xchange) re: lease . b 1 2 5 7 + 1 2 | v. 0+2
Subject (Xchange) re: lease . b 1 2 5 7 + 1 2 | v. 0+2
From antiorp@xxxxxxxxxx (=cw4t7abs)
Date Tue, 18 Aug 1998 07:41:01 -0600

-----------------------
: b 1 2 5 7 + 1 2 |
-----------------------

-_ ....realtime hyp[er|er]active sound processing for the power macintosh.

b1257+12 enables digital scrubbing on any power macintosh eliminating
the need for third party dsp cards. it provides the first software based
turntable-style scrub. scratch + granulation environment.

b1257+12 allows one to experiment with sound via mousedrawing. cursor tracking.
macintosh keyboard. lfo.s. number generators. random processes midi _+
audio input.
routing audio-in signals to control playback rate and direction _
placing a mic connected to a macintosh in an ambient environment or
simply speaking into it can be utilized to provide continuously evolving
sound textures.

b 1 2 5 7 + 1 2 | v. 0+2 release inkorporatez :

\\ additional realtime routines for ultra m9ndfukc++

----------------
midi module : :
----------------

provides for full midi control
of b1257+12 parameters.
there are approx 45 parameters which may be controlled
simultaneously via :

- pitchbend
- any controller number
- midi note pitch
- midi note velocity

-------------------------____
120 soundfile \ koll-age module : :
-----------------------------

the 120 soundfile module moves b!257+!2 towards
becoming a gallery \ installation \ performance piece
[the original intent - an automated version
of b!257+!2 should be available at one vienna gallery when complete]

it allows one to load 120 sound files [automatically or manually]
and alternate between them in real time -

- via the variable rate number generator
which allows for random + sequential change or

- via midi control : including
- pitchbend
- any controller number
- midi note pitch
- midi note velocity

soundhack function module : :

this module permits the loading of
soundhack generated functions - once loaded
they can be utilized to control b1257+12.

amplitude shaping module : :

allows for amplitude shaping [sep for each channel]
the envelopes may be set to loop + sync.
+ they may be altered \ edited in real time.

-
all processes can occur simultaneously + in parallel
== ultra kaot!k m9ndfukc rout!n.

http://www.god-emil.dk/=cw4t7abs/0f0003/ztpd/lakk.shtml
[kode section]
or for a more exhilarating experience
http://www.god-emil.dk/=cw4t7abs/0f0003/ztpd/0009.html
[java script required]

____++-_______________
0f0003 maschinenkunst
CJ Miller
Kent wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:

Hey! Do you have any tips or links to quieting and cooling a Dual 533MHz G4? I would like to get back to using this again, but it's too damn noisy for the current living situation.

G4s have a lot of fans, and the ones they ship with tend to be noisy. I'd open the tower and do an audit of the fans, how many of what size. Including fans in the power supply, those were the worst in my MDD. And check airflow for lint, cat fur, etc. My guess is that for a dual 533 this should be sufficient.

Over 1GHz it gets more difficult, because they let off a lot of heat. My dual 1.42 was far too hot. The PSU fans were far too loud. Also my GeForce Ti and OASYS cards are full-length, which can complicate airflow quite a bit. The MDD case is excellent but once one maxes it out with peripheral cards and 6 ATA drives, it needs help.
continuum
I've had a few people in the past month ask me about getting an old G4 up and running for Nato. The best performance I got out of it was running Max3.6/Nato in the Classic environment on a dual 1Ghz G4. It could do DV at 30fps which was a major achievement. I'd be tempted to try it on a G5 if there was any way to recover my licenses...
CrookedHouse
CJ Miller wrote:
Kent wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:

G4s have a lot of fans, and the ones they ship with tend to be noisy. I'd open the tower and do an audit of the fans, how many of what size. Including fans in the power supply, those were the worst in my MDD. And check airflow for lint, cat fur, etc. My guess is that for a dual 533 this should be sufficient.

There's also plenty of info on changing fans at xlr8yourmac:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/low_noise_fans.html
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/g4_mirrored_drive_doors/noise_reduc tion/g4_ddr_noise_reduction.html
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/quicksilver_noise/quieting_quicksil ver_noise.html

Quote:
Over 1GHz it gets more difficult, because they let off a lot of heat. My dual 1.42 was far too hot. The PSU fans were far too loud. Also my GeForce Ti and OASYS cards are full-length, which can complicate airflow quite a bit. The MDD case is excellent but once one maxes it out with peripheral cards and 6 ATA drives, it needs help.

Yeah my dual 1 gHz G4's fans are pretty loud, but I'm used to it.

Wow - 6 ATA drives! Question: do you use an additional PCI card to connect all those drives? I've been looking at installing a third ATA drive in my Quicksilver but the manual suggests that you can only use 2 on the main ATA bus. I also don't want to resort to putting on in the optical bay on the ATA33 bus. Any tips?

Also: can anyone share b1257+12? I've wanted to play with this for years..

-H
CJ Miller
CrookedHouse wrote:
There's also plenty of info on changing fans at xlr8yourmac:

True. Also check out Apple Fritter and the 68k MLA. Google searches for G4 cooling turned up so many hits I guessed people would find them.

CrookedHouse wrote:
Wow - 6 ATA drives! Question: do you use an additional PCI card to connect all those drives? I've been looking at installing a third ATA drive in my Quicksilver but the manual suggests that you can only use 2 on the main ATA bus. I also don't want to resort to putting on in the optical bay on the ATA33 bus. Any tips?

The MDD has three two-channel ATAs. One 33MHz for optical drives, and I think a 66MHz and a 100MHz. I just used the onboard ones. Since I have a lot of spare parts now I also want to try building one with SATA and one with SCSI using an Atto UL30. More MDDs means I can spread out my peripheral cards a bit which should allow for checking out these disk controllers.
adolfgottmann
Leoespejo wrote:
I have an Max/MSP patch made, sorry i don't remeber, but later i'll search and send the link, anyway if you make a google search with phonogene and max i think youu'll find it.

If you don't have Max you can download the runtime, at cycling74's page, is free and in my opinion one of the best music softwares ever made.

Well i made the search and find it, hope you like it

http://www.tristan-shepherd.com/software/phonogene.html

the link appears to be dead, is anyone able to share this max patch, pretty please? waah

Thanks
jhindsight
i found a version on my hard drive - it's a max app rather than a patch you can look at the guts of

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32872097/Phonogene%201.2.app.zip
adolfgottmann
jhindsight wrote:
i found a version on my hard drive - it's a max app rather than a patch you can look at the guts of

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32872097/Phonogene%201.2.app.zip

You're an angel! Thanks a lot
Cheers!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2