MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

249e vs. 250e DARF against ARF
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 249e vs. 250e DARF against ARF
ex_dead_teenager
I guess the build process is what killed the DARF and while I've read that the 250e will behave like the 249e with probabilistic and conditional jumps if you patch it right I find myself very compelled by the DARF though I'd consider myself damn lucky to get to try one let alone own one. I'm kind of wondering what the benefits are on the 250e over the 249e. It's a given that the 249 would be pretty intense to program and maybe not as suitable for live or improvisational work but what are the enhancements that Buchla added to the new sequencer from the write-ups I've seen it would appear that other than a shit ton more knobs and an arguably less confusing interface the 249e was a more intreaguing module. Having never used either I'd be really interested to hear from people who have.
felix
I don't really know much about the 249e, but here's two advantages of the 250e that I've been able to understand:

1) A knob for both CV and Time at each step
-this was done via a single encoder on the 249e.

2) It's available for purchase
-unless there's plans to make the 249e again, the only place you'll find it is in the hands of someone who already owns it, and, quite possibly, unwilling to give it up.
xpander
from what i remember from talking to don buchla a couple weeks back about the 249e, there will be no remake for two reasons:

1) problems getting multiple clocks to work together
2) he doesn't like the functionality of the module, not immediate enough control

i know engineers who could redesign the circuit and make it work perfectly but i'm not sure how it works specifically. i do know the 250e is much, much better than i was expecting, it's a highly functional module. i really liked the MARF i used to use, sliders ftw.

chris is one of a couple who owned one, i expect he'll chime in shortly.
ndkent
I've played someone's 249e and am waiting for a 250e order, so I've not played one. My impressions of the 249e were it seemed really interesting with unusual options but something you had to devise a composition for rather than it realizing a composition you devise. That would be in contrast to something you could turn on and tweak like I suspect the 250e does well. On the other hand I didn't sit there and try to learn it (though I had the short manual to look at). Perhaps once one grasps what it does then it's easy to devise something interesting for it to do in a relatively short time. So I agree with the "not immediate enough" assertion

It also struck me that while there were patchable interfacing options that you couldn't get in software, it did give me a sort of vibe that a lot of it could be done as MIDI generating software.

Still I certainly would have bought one and a 250e. I love the interplay between two sequencers that can interact (and don't care at all for step sequencers that simply step over and over as nauseum)
ex_dead_teenager
yah I know I'll probably never get a chance to actually choose between these two sequencers but I've definetly been gassing for the Darf ever since I first saw one. I have a thing for step sequencers especially uncommon ones. Reallistically I doubt I'd be able to get one second hand and having knobs for step length and pitch is a bonus The reason I started this thread was because I've heard great things about and from the Darf but not so much about the 250e, other than knobs did Buchla add anything else that the Darf was missing? It's strange, perhaps due to the fact that I've played neither but when I think of them both some how it feels like I'd be settling for less with the 250e. Stupid hunh?
cbm
I used to own a 249e, but ended up selling it because I prefer to use a custom Max/MSP program for note generation.

Things the 249e has going for it include:
    Deep probabilistic jump architecture

24 steps - 24 is sort of a magic number, both for rhythm and for notes. When used as a quantizer, you get two octaves. When used for rhythm, you get lots of interesting sub divisions.

Two independent sequencers. Enough said.

Things the 250e has going for it:
    Lots of Knobs - much easier to set up and use

Wider time scale range

More refined software (less bugs, a few nice convenience features)

If I was going to get another Buchla function generator, it would probably be a 250e, even if they were both still available.
xpander
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
It's strange, perhaps due to the fact that I've played neither but when I think of them both some how it feels like I'd be settling for less with the 250e.

that's exactly how i felt. what i discovered is that parallel cv & pulse outputs exist in the 250e, something i didnt really appreciate by casually comparing the two. so you can program several things to output all off the single clock for complex patches.

the 250e is also a really great performance interface and that's as golden as anything. i'd buy i 249e in a heartbeat if i saw one for sale but if i was limited to only one i'd stick with the 250e- and that's because the interface makes more sense for a modular.
don h
ndkent wrote:
I've played someone's 249e and am waiting for a 250e order, so I've not played one...(and don't care at all for step sequencers that simply step over and over as nauseum)

I think you'll like the 250e then, while it certainly can be very repetitive,
it doesn't seem to be predisposed to do so.
For instance, sending one of a 281e function generators, maybe set to a ramp, to the skew input of a 266e stored random voltage, maybe using another function generator to provide pulse update, will allow for a range of predictable step cycles of the 250 sequence to a near random selection
of each of the given steps.

Another real nice feature are the external cv inputs in the lower left hand corner, if a given stage has been set by edit-vltg, then whatever is plugged in to the 4 jacks, the selection based on that stages knob position, will be passed on through the output.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1