MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta vs. Kenton for MD-centric Euro rig
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta vs. Kenton for MD-centric Euro rig
suboptimal
I'm considering buying Volta as an alternative to a Kenton Pro2k and/or Flame Clockwork for integrating my Machinedrum with my developing Euro rack. I also have a Future Retro XS and 777 which can provide MIDI controlled gate and CV signals, but the additional functionality of Volta seems pretty compelling as a less expensive alternative to the Kenton - assuming it can work this way. I'm fairly reluctant to use software but this seems like a legit cost-saving mechanism.

I'd run MIDI through a Emagic AMT8, with Volta running either in Audio Desk or Live 6 via an Ultralite Mk3.

Thoughts? GAS enablement? "Buy all of them?" MY ASS IS BLEEDING
1nput0utput
AudioDesk can't host virtual instrument plug-ins, so you'd have to go with Digital Performer, Live, Logic, or some other comparable AU VI host.
suboptimal
See how deeply I use my software? confused
sascha.victoria
Sequencing on a computer is much different then sequencing on hardware. If you're already doing a lot of computer stuff I'd think it would make sense to use Volta. That being said, when I use my MD with my modular it sounds nothing like the results that I get with the computer.
Gordon Cole
sascha.victoria wrote:
\ That being said, when I use my MD with my modular it sounds nothing like the results that I get with the computer.

can you expand on this?
tragedybysyntax
Can you set us straight as to why? example?
Kent
I'd wager that it is down to feature set, interface design & physicality.

Suboptimal, I think that a MIDI to CV interface is hands down the winner if you are working with hardware. Just add a boring 1x1 MIDI interface any time that you wish to work with your computer.
Umcorps
Kent wrote:
Just add a boring 1x1 MIDI interface any time that you wish to work with your computer.

If you don't already have one, you might want to add a slew limiter to the shopping list if you plan to use midi CCs to generate CVs.

Volta's advantage is that it puts out nice, smooth voltages whereas midi arrives pre-quantised (mostly) in 128 very audible steps so you have to do the smoothing for yourself.
auricle
Or both if you get the funds!

If you feel doing a project more integrated with the computer, Volta is fantastic and can do things that are very difficult to do with a hardware interface. Volta integrates very well with Ableton Live and the Volta manual explains clearly how to set it up within Live.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1