MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Synthesizers soon for euro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Serge Synthesizers soon for euro
amnesia
I personally love banana jacks and I think Serge got it right but Ken Stone has a very early Serge and it was all mini jacks.
chrisso
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
chrisso wrote:
I agree that the breadth in Euro filters is still quite narrow.

I think that statement requires qualification. What, exactly, are we missing? We've got 4-pole cascade filters, state-variable filters, MS-20 clones, diode ladder filters, wasp filters, polyvoks filters, SEM filters, voltage-controlled resonators, lowpass gates -- that's just what I could think of typing this response.

It's not that there isn't a couple of everything, it's that there seems to have been an emphasis on diode, dirty type filters, ala Korg, wasp, polyvoks.
Seracs
Remember the VCQF is also a CV processor, and the STS ones have massive headroom.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
chrisso wrote:
It's not that there isn't a couple of everything, it's that there seems to have been an emphasis on diode, dirty type filters, ala Korg, wasp, polyvoks.

Ah, I see. Can't necessarily argue with that (although my two contributions to the art so far both do clean extremely well (I'm referring to the Korgasmatron and the Dr. Octature).
chrisso
Is there a Euro filter that really nails the Oberheim SEM. I love my 4 Voice?
Also, I don't think there is anything that sounds like the Synthacon filter exactly, although I know there are 'Steiner' filters.
I'm all for more filters, so bring on the Serge. But I think there are more interesting Serge modules.
However, now Makenoise has sort of done the DUSG, and Intellijel has sort of done the UAD, and a few makers have done the waveshaper, the uniquely Serge modules are getting fewer IMHO.

A VC Resonant EQ would be incredible. Although it would have to sound AS GOOD as the Ser RESEQ
richard
chrisso wrote:
I can't say that I particularly desire another Serge filter. Nothing bad to say, but nothing outstanding either IMO.

chrisso wrote:

A VC Resonant EQ would be incredible. Although it would have to sound AS GOOD as the Ser RESEQ

So being able to choose bananas in euro would be a "disaster" and the filter is "incredible" but not "outstanding"?

WTF are you even talking about? seriously, i just don't get it
Nils
No banana option = no deal.

The VCFQ sounds nice, but more than anything it feels essential in a Serge system because of its Swiss Army knife nature.

All IMHO of course..
chrisso
richard wrote:

So being able to choose bananas in euro would be a "disaster"

How many customers would there be?
Euro/mini-jack is a large market. Serge/banana, much smaller.
But if Bananalogue are game - have at it.

Quote:

WTF are you even talking about? seriously, i just don't get it

Ha, ha, yes I see you are being semantic. I think we were talking about the Serge filter modules with 'filter' in their title. And no a Serge VC Resonant EQ doesn't exist, although if it did I think it would be great.
But if you really had to nail me to the wall then yes, the Resonant EQ is the only great filter in the Serge range for my taste - i.n.m.y.h.u.m.b.l.e.o.p.i.n.i.o.n.
tIB
Serge things I would like in module form: resonant eq, wave multipliers, triple folder, frequency shifter, WAD, filter... pretty much anything that processes audio.

I want/would buy them in bananas- banana frac would be perfect, even more so with blue panels. hihi

Tbh if I could have bought serge in modules as opposed to panels I'd have all of those now.

Anyway, great news and good luck getting it all together.
BananaPlug
Quote:
I want/would buy them in bananas- banana frac would be perfect, even more so with blue panels

Yup. I can understand making them for the euro crowd (lots of users, 12V) but maybe they will be nice enough to sell hard core banana fans assembled and tested boards w.o. the panels. Something like Serge in the days of the paper-faced kits. We could replace the jacks and make up frac panels in lasered acrylic (blue is nice).
sascha.victoria
It's been a while since Bananalogue was around but I don't recall them being consistantly available. Time will tell how all this will pan out.
AntManBee
Bananalogue wrote:
im not giving any time table, but you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

i will update the sergesynthesizers.com website when modules become available.

Wonderful - perhaps I'll be able to forget about buying an Animal now and just alter my euro set-up. This seems completely in the spirit of Serge Tcherepnin's aims with the original modules.
confusional
Best wishes to everyone who is excited about Ken Stone releasing Serge designs in Euro rack format. w00t
HexEnduction
An interesting development considering the price bump message posted on Quadslope. cry
chinard
i seem to be missing something...
where does it say anything about euro? seriously, i just don't get it
Cheradenine
Here ?

Bananalogue wrote:
im not giving any time table, but you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

i will update the sergesynthesizers.com website when modules become available.
Nils
I'm really excited to see the panel designs. For me, one of the most important aspects of Serge is the quality of the ergonomics and the layout. I noticed the use of the Eras font on the website, so I guess at least he's looking to the graphic design of the original Serge panels?

I'm also excited to see what modules will be available. So no WAD. And prolly no TKB...? I think the '96 STS Serge catalog counted 65 different modules.
amnesia
Not Ken but Seth. Ken is just making the PCBs.
polyroy
Great news. At least we won't have as many 'what's the best Serge module x copy in Euro' threads! Be really interested to see the final product and pricing etc.
wavecircle
DUSG will give maths a run for its money.

Its the wave multipliers, triple waveshaper and filters that really kick ass in Serge. Those combined with digital oscillators and LPGs w00t
CJ Miller
Fuck "Euro". It's like you already have Muppets, but people demand Muppet Babies. What possible advantage is there to making them that much smaller?

Euro are a pain to build and to play. I have heard very few arguments for the format, apart from "because it's what everybody does".
amnesia
I dont see much of a difference at all between the size of Serge/ Buchla and the euro format. You must have HUGE hands if you find it a pain to play.

Its never bothered me.
jenamu6
amnesia wrote:
I dont see much of a difference at all between the size of Serge/ Buchla and the euro format. You must have HUGE hands if you find it a pain to play.

Its never bothered me.

First thing that struck me when I finally had my first(and last) Serge panel.....damn that's just a tad bigger than euro.
CJ Miller
amnesia wrote:
I dont see much of a difference at all between the size of Serge/ Buchla and the euro format.

It's a difference of 25%...

amnesia wrote:
You must have HUGE hands if you find it a pain to play.

You must have FEW arguments for the format if you resort to discussing my hands.

From an engineering perspective, I can hardly build Euro with the parts I'd want. And if I bought them, I'd still need to replace the hardware. Also I find that the longer PCBs with DIP power busses are more efficient to lay out than a more squared layout for Euro. Sure, these problems can be worked around. But why? What is the goal of doing this?

My points was that I hear a lot of populist demand for things to be in this format, but never any practical reasons why it is desirable. It always seems a matter of preaching to the converted, for people who already make up their minds to embrace the format. Or people get dismissive and agree that "well, you don't need to like it...". But as a problem solver I still like to hear good arguments for it.
Corbeau
CJ Miller wrote:

Euro are a pain to build and to play. I have heard very few arguments for the format, apart from "because it's what everybody does".

Cheaper to buy in increments, for one thing. And for those of us with small hands, they're not hard too play wink

But I also like the sheer diversity in modules. Between Makenoise and Harvestman alone, you've got a quite a large sonic palette to choose from. There's a lot of room for personal customization, more so than other formats it would seem. But then again, I've only ever owned a Euro system, so I might be completely wrong there.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 2 of 15