MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Synthesizers soon for euro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Serge Synthesizers soon for euro
HexEnduction
Entrainer wrote:

$1499

Overpriced.

Sure, if we're talking perceived function versus cost but the dearth of recordings I made with just a Gator/Creature set-up made it worth every penny for me. Every module on there has at least two unique functions depending on the destination so in my opinion it's really not that expensive once you get into the programability level.

On the other hand I spent $1000 on euro and stackables last year and I sent it back to Shawn Cleary after four days with no recordings to show for it. I literally started laughing when I unboxed it because of how chintzy it all was- loose pots, limited range, intermittent jacks, bleed/noise, and the stackables are just plain terrible compared to pomonas. I felt like I had been completely duped. As a matter of fact I have 3u of euro right now in the garage collecting dust and if it wasn't my brothers system I wouldn't think twice about selling it for something useful, like another Gator. Not a value judgement, euro just doesn't grab me in the slightest. But if it knocks other peoples socks off, more power to them.
Entrainer
HexEnduction wrote:

Sure, if we're talking perceived function versus cost but the dearth of recordings I made with just a Gator/Creature set-up made it worth every penny for me.

Fair enough. I can't argue with that.
But are there enough like you in the world to keep it alive? We'll see.
So far, Rex has determined to push prices up instead of down. It'll
be interesting to see the outcome of that decision.

And yes, it guess I can't help a couple people in Wisconsin, but it doesn't
mean I'll be helping a "bean-counter" in Japan. I can spread the wealth
to 30-40 different passionate people making modular synthesizer designs.
They need love too! (as do bean-counters... who else would count them?)
Oldstench
HexEnduction wrote:
loose pots, limited range, intermittent jacks, bleed/noise

Really? I must the luckiest guy on earth then because none of my ~$5000 of euro has any of these problems. hmmm.....

Sounds like you got a bum deal there, buddy.

Disclaimer: I like all formats. Format wars can suck it.
ersatzplanet
Oldstench wrote:
HexEnduction wrote:
loose pots, limited range, intermittent jacks, bleed/noise

Really? I must the luckiest guy on earth then because none of my ~$5000 of euro has any of these problems. hmmm.....

Sounds like you got a bum deal there, buddy.

Disclaimer: I like all formats. Format wars can suck it.

Yeah - one bad run of Cliff jacks and the meme last forever...
HexEnduction
ersatzplanet wrote:

Yeah - one bad run of Cliff jacks and the meme last forever...

Well, the "Rex's stuff is overpriced" meme certainly never dies either. Never had to wiggle a pomona cable to make contact. I like the offerings in euro but the jacks leave much to be desired.
Oldstench
Isn't that more a fault of the cable than the jack? I've had exactly 2 bum cables (one of which was my fault for running it over with my office chair) but all my jacks are solid.
richard
Quote:
one bad run of Cliff jacks

hihi

good one! thumbs up keep on dreaming
HexEnduction
Oldstench wrote:
Isn't that more a fault of the cable than the jack? I've had exactly 2 bum cables (one of which was my fault for running it over with my office chair) but all my jacks are solid.

In some cases that's a real possibility although there are absolutely intermittent jacks on the 3u in the garage, I'm certain of that. Not sure if the jack was loose on one of the modules from AH but there was certainly a lack of cohesion between modules and jacks necessitating a good pile of cables and a pile that required jiggling. The Livewire modules were built exceptionally well with little issue- very pleasing. Not quite as fond of another manufacture, quite revered on this board actually, with a module that had QA issues, bleed and performed poorly. I do realize that each manufacturer has different standards and build quality though. Maybe once you've been through the motions with certain companies it's easier to avoid. But yeah, the cables could be part of the problem and I thought the stackables in particular were terrible- twice as expensive as pomona and half as useful. Maybe I just got a bad batch though.
chrisso
I recently sold my last Serge panel and started a Euro system, which I have been using on recordings since about Christmas.
I own a variety of Euro modules, from a variety of makers, and haven't had one SINGLE technical/quality issue - and this is with daily use.

I think many pages ago someone posted "it's all good, use whatever floats your boat".

The claims of bad quality in Euro are overstated IMHO.
The claims Serge is clearly a class above are also overstated IMHO.
Those are just opinions, but I have spent extensive time on both systems - as well as Buchla, Modcan, Fenix and Vintage Polyfusion.

Something being over priced is an opinion, not really a fact unless you can compare like for like, or you have insider knowledge of the production process.
I run into this point of view with music software from time to time (as someone who has been involved creating music software), and 99.999% of the people claiming the music software I'm associated with is over priced, have no experience or knowledge about how much time and money was spent creating it.
So I don't know how much time and money Rex spends on his Serge panels, therefore i can't say it's over priced.
sascha.victoria
I actually think DIY is the most over priced format of all. When I'm not dealing with the 98 simultaneous tasks of owning / running a small business I'm trying to make as much music as possible, plan my wedding, spend time with the lady, clean the house, go for a hike, see friends, enjoy life, etc... I totally get the satisfaction of building your own stuff and then using it but no thanks. Hook me up with the craftsmen who make the tools I like most to most easily fulfill my vision. If its cheap great! If its expensive then I'll think more before I buy it. Ultimately, if I like it I'll figure it out (BSTing over the years has resulted in some great gear) and I bet you will too.
mb123music
Ok, all the other stuff aside!!! seriously, i just don't get it
Has anyone any info on whats going to be available??? Rockin' Banana!
dougcl
Bottom line it's rude to tell someone that what they just bought is overpriced. It's not done in real life.
calcaarmario
Any news on the original topic???
Cant wait to see some photos, videos, sounds, etc of a Serge Eurorack prototype!!! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
richard
there was a topic?
Nils
richard wrote:
there was a topic?

A whole bunch of them.
mb123music
calcaarmario wrote:
Any news on the original topic???
Cant wait to see some photos, videos, sounds, etc of a Serge Eurorack prototype!!! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

+1 It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo
jeanclaudevanlee
http://sergesynthesizers.com/

There is nothing yet on the website but some people wrote already about published panel designs. Was it taken down already?
hank
jeanclaudevanlee wrote:
http://sergesynthesizers.com/

There is nothing yet on the website but some people wrote already about published panel designs. Was it taken down already?

I don't know about specifics about this line, but Bananalogue did produce a line of serge designs for eurorack (and frac) a few years back that consisted of the VCS, WVX (wave multiplier) and 3P (cv processor). I only have the 3P in my rack but it's solid.
Entrainer
dougcl wrote:
Bottom line it's rude to tell someone that what they just bought is overpriced. It's not done in real life.

Agreed. If it was a friend of mine, I'd be silent, but inside I'd
be hurting for them.

Ideally, I'd have an opportunity to tell them BEFORE, not after.
Lambda
Any news on the topic on this thread?
n0rd
Lambda wrote:
Any news on the topic on this thread?

+1e99
wavehead
any news on controversial opinions about serge and rex that people can argue about more?
sersch
Hopefully not.
numan7
wtf is this thread doing in 'Buchla, EMS & STS' forum anyways?

hihi

cheers
sersch
It's "Buchla, EMS & Serge", not "Buchla, EMS & STS". Harhar.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 14 of 15