MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Synthesizers soon for euro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Serge Synthesizers soon for euro
CJ Miller
shamann wrote:
Is anyone making third-party modules to work with STS Serge, in a similar way to what you see with Buchla?

The Euro market has proven to be open to all comers, in terms of economics it would be the easiest and most accessible for any new Serge licensee.

Who else does 4U? CGS, Craig Lee, Andrew, myself. Euro uses compatible voltages. Bugs uses nanners. But again this risks making technical decisions based on who is doing it, rather than technical criteria. Any size rack or module is equally open, you buy the hardware and build your system into it. Making it 3U might help a few people who actually need a particularly tiny setup, but there is not anything special about 3U which makes it cheaper, better sounding, easier to build, or easier to play. It still sounds like another version of "it's easy to decide, because I've already had my mind made up for me".
jenamu6
cbm wrote:
So what are people's top five Serge modules that they would like to see "ported" to Euro, anyway? Is there any sort of a consensus?

For me:
DUSG
Wave multipliers
Variable Q VCF

mmm that's just 3 for me.
theboddy
It's not the instrument that makes the music it's you, the musician.

Use whatever works for you.

It doesn't matter.

The music is what counts.

Dead Banana
ignatius
CJ Miller wrote:
shamann wrote:
Is anyone making third-party modules to work with STS Serge, in a similar way to what you see with Buchla?

The Euro market has proven to be open to all comers, in terms of economics it would be the easiest and most accessible for any new Serge licensee.

Who else does 4U? CGS, Craig Lee, Andrew, myself. Euro uses compatible voltages. Bugs uses nanners. But again this risks making technical decisions based on who is doing it, rather than technical criteria. Any size rack or module is equally open, you buy the hardware and build your system into it. Making it 3U might help a few people who actually need a particularly tiny setup, but there is not anything special about 3U which makes it cheaper, better sounding, easier to build, or easier to play. It still sounds like another version of "it's easy to decide, because I've already had my mind made up for me".

so what? is there something special about 4u or 5u?

c'mon man.. there are various formats that exist. some are more popular than others. people pick the one they like for whatever reason... price, availability, sound, fat fingers, blah blah blah...

i really don't get why people get up in arms about this kind of shit and really, i thought people here at muff's were past this kind of stupid format war nonsense.. other then the funny jab/joke at each other.

anyway - back to the serge in euro.. i'm curious to see which modules show up first in euro. i have zero experience with serge and have never looked long at what's there.. though, like everyone else i want the thing that will not be made.. the WAD. id be happy if there was some part of it made into euro.. even just flanger.. but if Bruce makes a the modcan flanger in euro then i'll jump on that since it's in my top 3 of fav modules ever. that modcan flanger is just awesome and weird and wonderful.
sascha.victoria
You guys are arguing over a product that doesn't exist. Who knows if and when it will exist and how much of the Serge product line it will represent.
Ekofisk
sascha.victoria wrote:
You guys are arguing over a product that doesn't exist.

That's a first. 8_)

That being said, the more the merrier, I think. How can more available designs available in more formats be a bad thing for anyone into modular?
CJ Miller
ignatius wrote:
why does it effect you, a user of another format, if someone makes modules in euro that are inspired by or part of the format you use???? is it because you now wanna switch? or is it because now other people can have what you have at a likely more customizable and less expensive format???

Why? Because Serge has already established itself in one format. It sucks for people who don't want to switch. And I seriously doubt that 4U and 5U modules are more expensive than 3U. Or are you comparing to whole panels?

ignatius wrote:
seems stupid to worry about what everyone else is doing and not worry about your own thing.

Making decisions based on economics is a show of simple, brute force. It's crude, and it does affect what I do. Mathematics is great, but economics is just math adulterated with wishful thinking, ie bullshit. If reality was good enough for people, they'd be scientists. And if reality isn't good enough for them... then I guess they have personal problems, and I should not let them affect me.
Ekofisk
CJ Miller wrote:

Why? Because Serge has already established itself in one format. It sucks for people who don't want to switch.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Care to qualify?
ignatius
Ekofisk wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:
You guys are arguing over a product that doesn't exist.

That's a first. 8_)

That being said, the more the merrier, I think. How can more available designs available in more formats be a bad thing for anyone into modular?

+1

there are already a few serge designs in euro and serge inspired things in euro...

now suddenly that "official" serge designs may be widely available THE SKY IS FALLING meh
clarke68
cbm wrote:
So what are people's top five Serge modules that they would like to see "ported" to Euro, anyway? Is there any sort of a consensus?

DUSG
WAD (I know, I know...)
TWS
SSG

...and any/all of the VCFs and VCOs.
CJ Miller
ignatius wrote:
i really don't get why people get up in arms about this kind of shit and really, i thought people here at muff's were past this kind of stupid format war nonsense.. other then the funny jab/joke at each other.

I thought I pre-emptively deflated that with the Muppet VS Muppet Babies example! I might be upset over the whole Eurorack lemming phenomena, but I am not upset at you cats personally. There are some Euro modules which I'd love to try, but buying them just to mod them, bananify, and probably re-case them seems like a lot of hassle. And it seems more balanced if people make the most of their own seat in the canoe, instead of all deciding to squeeze in the same one.
CJ Miller
Ekofisk wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:

Why? Because Serge has already established itself in one format. It sucks for people who don't want to switch.

Because to continue to expand your system, you'd need to carry it over to another format? Start your Serge in 4U with bananas, finish it in 3U with 1/8"? I guess for most people there is STS, but since he charges like 4x what Serge did, this has never been an option for me.
AntManBee
CJ Miller wrote:
If reality was good enough for people, they'd be scientists.

Well I'm glad we've got that settled.
CursedFrogurt
CJ Miller wrote:
Some crazy shit

Ah nevermind
ignatius
CJ Miller wrote:
Ekofisk wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:

Because to continue to expand your system, you'd need to carry it over to another format? Start your Serge in 4U with bananas, finish it in 3U with 1/8"? I guess for most people there is STS, but since he charges like 4x what Serge did, this has never been an option for me.

so basically what is grinding your gears a bit is that someone is gonna make licensed serge designs and isn't making them in the serge format at a throwback price?

i can see how a serge user would be disappointed that there will be serge designs in euro and not in serge.... but the market has spoken. such as it is.
Ekofisk
CJ Miller wrote:
Ekofisk wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:

Nope, still not making any sense.

For anyone already into Serge, what changes? People not already into Serge, however, might have a chance to get some.
dequalsrxt
Reality Checkpoint
Is choice wrong?
CJ Miller
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
Is choice wrong?

If it's based upon what you think is best, it's great. If it's based upon what you imagine "everybody" are or should be doing, it's tyrannical.

How about you? Do you think Euro is a superior choice because it works better? Or just because it's a popular trend? My point in asking this is not to say what format I think it should be, but just pointing out that in my discussions with most people, they are excited about Euro as a format with no apparent consideration of why. IE what makes it better is that everybody does it - not anything intrinsic to Euro itself.
CJ Miller
dequalsrxt wrote:
???

Safety in numbers?

johnnywoods
CJ Miller wrote:
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
Is choice wrong?

Do you think Euro is a superior choice because it works better? Or just because it's a popular trend? My point in asking this is not to say what format I think it should be, but just pointing out that in my discussions with most people, they are excited about Euro as a format with no apparent consideration of why. IE what makes it better is that everybody does it - not anything intrinsic to Euro itself.

But, the fact that everybody does it means a bigger marketplace. Which means way more modules than any other format for (generally) lower prices. That is a huge benefit for me, and quite intrinsic to the format.

Everything from video synthesizers to vintage analog filter clones can be had in Euro. No other format comes close.
dequalsrxt
Rustled jimmies serve no function in dreams or in modular synthesizers: that is all I'm saying with my choice of meme. Rest easy, comrades. The world is ours, if only in brief, tightly modulated flashes.
6.4 Billion
CJ Miller wrote:
If it's based upon what you think is best, it's great. If it's based upon what you imagine "everybody" are or should be doing, it's tyrannical.

Just out of curiosity, what format would you prefer for these new serge modules? And would you be prepared to take on the large risk for building a brand new format?
HexEnduction
Low-Gain wrote:
Think if I was Rex I'd be a little pissed that Serge is selling most of his designs to someone who would build them in Euro format.

I doubt he cares. People that buy the STS stuff will continue to buy the STS stuff. People that want euro stuff will continue to buy euro stuff. I don't think there are many fence sitters.
HexEnduction
6.4 Billion wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what format would you prefer for these new serge modules? And would you be prepared to take on the large risk for building a brand new format?

Frac.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 4 of 15