MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Haxor - dual control pentode distortion module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Author Haxor - dual control pentode distortion module
zerosum

Consumes: 30 mA of +-15 and 150 mA of +5.
Plate Voltage: 48 volts
Size: 1 single space MU module compatible with Synthesizers.com cabinets and rails.
Depth: 2"
Tube used: NOS 5725 pentode
Tube sticks out from the front panel about 1"
Panel: 3mm thick anodized aluminum with high quality engraving
Delivery time: 3-4 weeks. Often less.
Available now with all parts in stock accept for the panel, the panel is ordered on demand and takes 1-2 weeks to arrive.
Price is $385
click here for more information

This one has different "color" than the VCA but still has a similar behavior.
Like the VCA, it isn't an obliterating distortion, but it isn't subtle either,
An ideal use is to combine 2 audio sources with the Haxor then feed the output into a filter or VCA or any other effect that looks appealing.
Smack the CV input with gates, pulses and triggers to make the Vactrol pop and click in rhythmic patterns.

Sounds:
Two Unkle Oscillator squares into ze Haxor
Unkle Saws with phase modulation into ze Haxor
Wretch Machine oscillators direct outs into Haxor

Wretch oscillators into Haxor then into Destructor Beam

weinglas
Wow we're not worthy

The demo with the wretch sounds stunning SlayerBadger!
metasonix
For those who are wondering: the HAXOR uses a "dual control pentode". These things have NEVER been used in audio equipment in the past. EVER.

I've never used them in any Metasonix products before, either. This is the first-ever time you have been exposed to this design. For the time being, Zerosum has a world exclusive.

It DOES NOT sound like a conventional mixer, nor does it sound like a ring modulator or a VCA (although it does a VCA function via the CV input).

Zerosum has just given you something utterly new and strange. There is no "prior musical art" to point to. If you buy one, you are out on the bleeding edge of an unknown world of sound. Even I don't know what it is capable of or how it affects audio signals, and cannot make "comparisons" for you.
tablebeast
Quote:
For those who are wondering: the HAXOR uses a "dual control pentode". These things have NEVER been used in audio equipment in the past. EVER.

I was wondering if this tube would work well in a synth module. The Culture Vulture by Thermionic Culture uses a 6AS6 is a distortion tube, but it is strictly an effect, no CV input. It changes distortion amount based on the bias setting. I made an approximate DIY version of this circuit a few years back for Mark Linkous, but he died before I could get it in his hands. It has been 95% finished for a few years now. Mine isn't exactly a Culture Vulture as I had no schematic to go by, but luckily there was an interview with the inventor where he spoke in detail about the design. I'm glad to see some more stuff made with this tube as I found it fascinating the way the distortion changes. This Haxor looks very cool! Makes me want to finish my unit.
zerosum
Quote:
Makes me want to finish my unit.

Do it! thumbs up hyper
tablebeast
Quote:
Makes me want to finish my unit.
Do it!

Zerosum, not that I want you to give away any design secrets or anything (unless you feel like posting a schematic), but I am curious about the synth possibilities of the 6AS6. Are you sending the ring mod signal into G2 and a CV signal to G3? Any kind of buffer circuit or pad needed?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Page 1 of 1