MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

wilson analog delay
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author wilson analog delay
aetherpulse
I've been thinking of getting this M-odule to sit next to my creature (after talking to Rex for about an hour and a half!) for a little portable rig. Anyone here have one? Thoughts or opinions would be be great...
550b
I've spent a lot of time with the WAD. I love it. I wish the 200e had a delay like it. Aside from the usual analog delay applications, it's great for mangling and shredding audio (especially external sources).

Were I buying Serge gear, this module would be near the top of my list.
aetherpulse
[quote]it's great for mangling and shredding audio[quote]

That's exactly why I am considering it (also why Rex recommended it)
I would love some audio of it doing it's thing. I haven't found any on the web yet...
amnesia
my vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYNQhZ91_8
b3nsf
man, I want this module paired with the Audio Interface, so sweet!
bartlebooth
I have a Klangzeit M-odule (WAD + frequency shifter) on order, should be arriving in a few weeks. I'll gladly post some video demos once I get it.
b3nsf
I really want to know what people do with their pre-amp detector module... anybody? hmmm.....
aetherpulse
Wow, I can't believe I missed Amnesia's vid! Sounds pretty cool. I'm starting to think that it might be the right way to go for me...
amnesia
if you buy the new Serge compilation that is due out soon I have a whole track that is dubbed mentall in Wilson :-)
550b wrote:
I wish the 200e had a delay like it.

when i have my 200e i think i will mod a modcan digital delay into an 200e panel.
cebec
One of my favorite modules. So versatile. I hardly ever use it for 'regular delay' or echo and almost always use it to completely warp a sound or generate sound on its own through creative feedback paths. I don't have a WAD demo, per se, but this track has a lot of WAD abuse.

http://share.ovi.com/media/cebec.rawexperiments/cebec.10112
b3nsf
nice example! Dead Banana nanners nanners
cebec
b3nsf wrote:
nice example! Dead Banana nanners nanners

Thanks!
I'll add that sometimes the WAD serves as the inspiration for an entire piece or jam session. Rockin' Banana!
I've also managed pretty nice string sounds, especially plucks, using the Karplus-Strong algorithm.

b3nsf
arg! now I want a WAD! I'll just hook up my Marshall Time Modulator for now... thumbs up
mono-poly
2012 wrote:
550b wrote:

when i have my 200e i think i will mod a modcan digital delay into an 200e panel.

That's a nice delay but it is not a good processor for karplus strong patches i think.
The Serge WAD is one off the best ones for that.
mono-poly wrote:
2012 wrote:
550b wrote:

That's a nice delay but it is not a good processor for karplus strong patches i think.
The Serge WAD is one off the best ones for that.

for the karplus u need better analog anyway,i just want a good CV controlol able delay and not a dull sounding like the analog one in a 200e
ndkent
I wanted one for years but couldn't afford a whole panel (I have a EC-FS already), wound up buying a bunch of longer range VC BBD modules.

Curious about the Karplus-Strong capabilities, so the range is short enough on the WAD? I know it can do it, but I mean do it in the sense it tracks pitch for a bunch of octaves or do it in the sense it makes wild quasi-pitched sounds that are cool?

Because I've learned from people raving about analog FM that some mean proper tracking stable waveforms when they say a VCO does FM well and some mean crazy noises that change with pitch.
cebec
ndkent wrote:

but I mean do it in the sense it tracks pitch for a bunch of octaves or do it in the sense it makes wild quasi-pitched sounds that are cool?

It's definitely not exclusively the latter but I'm not sure how much of the former. It's probably somewhere in between.

Also, it doesn't have a 'V/OCT' input but an output, instead, which is said "to permit controlling external VC filters easily." To be honest, I haven't done much with that, yet, and its operation depends on what's being fed to the 'VC F' input.
BananaPlug
Here's another example of the WAD doing something other than "normal" delay. The chattering sound in the background is the WAD with the frequency shifter in the feedback loop. You can hear it most plainly at the end.
cebec
BananaPlug wrote:
Here's another example of the WAD doing something other than "normal" delay. The chattering sound in the background is the WAD with the frequency shifter in the feedback loop. You can hear it most plainly at the end.

Nice!

Sounds like a mobile made of animal bones rattling in the breeze... or a flock of birds in a tight space.
smitty
b3nsf wrote:
man, I want this module paired with the Audio Interface, so sweet!

That's the other half of my case! Creature/Gator/Audio Interface/Wilson Analog Delay. When I get it in, I'll have to come up to SF for a Sergefest. thumbs up
aetherpulse
Looks like I have a few things to listen to when I get home from work!

I don't mind that the examples are with other modules. How it sounds and behaves on it's own isn't important. It's all in how it interacts with other modules. It's all part of a system, that's what I like about Serge.

Interesting about using the WAD for Karplus-Strong, Rex never mentioned that use...
bartlebooth
Quote:

That was cool, BananaPlug ! Thanks for sharing it.

Also, when I talked to Rex about the WAD he advised me that in order to avoid it just sounding like a cosmic dishwasher (his words, obviously) he recommended to mix both audio and CV together and feed it in, that was when the real magic happens. I'm not sure now if he was referring to the CV ins for delay times and feedback or for the actual signal inputs. Since I don't have mine yet, I'm curious if anybody who has a Wilson delay could comment on this.
cebec
bartlebooth wrote:

Also, when I talked to Rex about the WAD he advised me that in order to avoid it just sounding like a cosmic dishwasher (his words, obviously) he recommended to mix both audio and CV together and feed it in, that was when the real magic happens. I'm not sure now if he was referring to the CV ins for delay times and feedback or for the actual signal inputs. Since I don't have mine yet, I'm curious if anybody who has a Wilson delay could comment on this.

I forgot about that -- glad you brought it up! So, I just tried a slow triangle into the IN 2 (DC) with a signal to IN 1 and it fades from wet to dry. I changed the DC signal to an SQP row and it became something undulating. Then, I combined the SQP row with a very fast triangle in a DC mixer and got something really interesting. Finally, I decided to try mixing audio and DC and patching that to the VC DELAY and that was a good idea! I don't know if magic happened but it didn't sound like a cosmic dishwasher, either. It's definitely something I hadn't tried and seems like really fertile territory.
aetherpulse
Bananaplug and cebec: Those were great tunes!

Thanks very much for everybody's help and ideas. I think this is going to be the next module I get.
bartlebooth
wow, those are interesting ideas! applause ..seems like the ability to handle both CV and audio really opens up alot of possibilities beyond normal delay effects.

Also, I was thinking we really need to start compiling all these Rex-isms somewhere- they make up part of a folk history of the Serge that really should be preserved!
smitty
bartlebooth wrote:
wow, those are interesting ideas! applause ..seems like the ability to handle both CV and audio really opens up alot of possibilities beyond normal delay effects.

Also, I was thinking we really need to start compiling all these Rex-isms somewhere- they make up part of a folk history of the Serge that really should be preserved!

I really need to start recording the calls, because there is so much info, stories, and classic shit he says that's worth remembering. I'm off to go find the meaning of "Gremlins from the Kremlin".

After listening to the clips I'm pretty excited about the WAD, thanks for those everybody!
smitty
bartlebooth wrote:

Also, I was thinking we really need to start compiling all these Rex-isms somewhere

Here's one :

He was preparing me how to adjust our mixer for the signal given the output of the system and what to expect given the +22dBm peaks, and +20 volt...

Rex finishes with : "I'm just telling you this stuff Kev, because this shit doesn't come with training wheels. Your gear won't know what to do with that."
cebec
bartlebooth wrote:
... seems like the ability to handle both CV and audio really opens up alot of possibilities beyond normal delay effects.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try this approach with everything else, as well. I always feel like I'm scratching the surface...

bartlebooth wrote:

Good idea! There's a thread already that can serve as a nice starting point for compiling into a document.

There's so much! I used to take notes when I talked to him since he was spewing out interesting history, tips, and theory left and right.
amnesia
yesterday i saw 3 cars with WAD numberplates!
HexEnduction
Cebec and BananaPlug- These WAD demos are great!!! we're not worthy
confusional
Redacted.
Pockets McCoy
According to FedEx, I should have a Soup Kitchen (among other things...) on Thursday (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFINALLYFINALLYFINALLYSERGEATMYFING ERTIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING screaming goo yo screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! Dead Banana Dead Banana The Agonizer! The Agonizer! hyper hyper ) And I know good and well that I'll be having ass-bleeding amounts of fun and will feel compelled to record what's going on, so more WAD demos are to be expected by the weekend...
b3nsf
so ready to see/hear your amazing set-ups, ideas and sounds!!! 8_)
cebec
Thanks for the comments on my WAD demo, guys.
I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing lots more Serge action around here in the coming weeks and months!
Bring it on! nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 2