CV split/map module?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

J
Wiggling with Experience

CV split/map module?

Post by J » Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 pm

i was thinking about the key split functions on non-modular synths.

is there a module that will do something similar?
or a combination of modules?

i'd like to be able to split up one CV signal into more parts (based on the amount of voltage) and send it to different things.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sat May 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Hmmm. I'm not sure Im following you in regards to the split keys function, but a module that takes cv and can create other different but related cvs from that would be the malekko JAG. It doesn't have to be used with a joystick, just any 2 cvs. If one of those cvs is an offset, I think the JAG will give you different "levels" or versions of whatever you plug into the other side. I'll have to try this later today and let you know.

J
Wiggling with Experience

Post by J » Sat May 12, 2012 1:09 pm

^ sorry if i didn't explain too well.

i don't want it to change the CV coming in, just split it up.

for example - if i'm sending the same pitch CV to two oscillators, rather than both play all the same notes, i'd like to split the CV at a point (or key) so that one osc would play the notes below this point and the other play the notes above the point.

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Sat May 12, 2012 1:31 pm

J wrote:^ sorry if i didn't explain too well.

i don't want it to change the CV coming in, just split it up.

for example - if i'm sending the same pitch CV to two oscillators, rather than both play all the same notes, i'd like to split the CV at a point (or key) so that one osc would play the notes below this point and the other play the notes above the point.

It would be much, much easier to simply use two different outputs on a MIDI -> CV converter and define the split point on your controller. When you say "sending a pitch CV," where are you "sending " it from?? I'm not really sure what you're getting at here...

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Sat May 12, 2012 1:37 pm

The problem is that an oscillator is always oscillating, so you need to split the gate as well as the CV.

You could patch the same CV to two oscillators and adjust the two oscillators so that same CV is getting a different range of notes from each oscillator. Then you would need to also feed the CV into a comparator to pick the threshhold where you switch from one oscillator to the other.

Then you need to switch the gate signal using that comparator output. Either an analog switch or a logic module. Then the two gates would drive VCAs or LPGs after the oscillators, and finally a mixer to mix them together (or not).

If there's no gate, then the comparator itself would drive an anaolg switch or pair of VCAs/LPGs, maybe using an inverter to get two signals from the comparator.

Kodama
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kodama » Sat May 12, 2012 1:40 pm

A152

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Sat May 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Edit: Oops, daverj already posted a similar solution to mine :¬)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you could use a comparator to distinguish between notes of a "low range" of your choosing and a "high range", then send the signals out to two VCAs, one of which is triggered by the regular signal of the comparator, the other by the inverted signal of the comparator. (I think the inverted signal may need to be offset by +5V?). One VCA will spit out high notes when present, the other will spit out low notes when present. But only one at a time will send out notes. There may be modules that can more elegantly accomplish this.

If you want to harmonize with your CV signal, a mult (preferably buffered) and a quantizer would suffice.

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Sat May 12, 2012 2:03 pm

I think the Doepfer Min/Max module would perform this function.
Just patch in a DC voltage to determine where the split occurs. Patch the Min output into one VCO and the Max output into the other.

However, at any one point, one of the VCOs would simply be oscillating at a frequency dictated by the DC voltage.

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Sat May 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Just read the other replies.
Don't know what I was thinking, but yes:
Comparator (fed by the pitch CV, with DC voltage to determine the split) driving a VC-switch would be the way to do it.

felix le chat
Veteran Wiggler

Re: CV split/map module?

Post by felix le chat » Sat May 12, 2012 2:25 pm

J wrote:i'd like to be able to split up one CV signal into more parts (based on the amount of voltage) and send it to different things.
The Doepfer A-150 should be able to do this: connect the CV you want to split into both "CV" and "O/I" plugs; low voltages are sent to "I/O1", high ones to "I/O2". But the switching voltage point is fixed (see the manual), which means you may also need some CV offset, attenuator or amplifier modules (or a computer).

Also, I never tried this setup in practice, but I plan on getting an A-150 for this purpose (among many others)

Flc

J
Wiggling with Experience

Post by J » Sat May 12, 2012 2:46 pm

thanks for the answers :yay:

i think the A-150 will do the trick for me

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat May 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Kodama wrote:A152
This is what it does.

Kodama
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kodama » Sat May 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Just tested w the A150 and it works great, just mult the modulation signal so that you can use it as the source of the switch and the CV for the A150. Use an atten to get more control, and an atten + an offset to move the center point.

J
Wiggling with Experience

Post by J » Sat May 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Navs wrote:
Kodama wrote:A152
This is what it does.
A-152 is on the list for when i add another 3U.
Kodama wrote:Just tested w the A150 and it works great, just mult the modulation signal so that you can use it as the source of the switch and the CV for the A150. Use an atten to get more control, and an atten + an offset to move the center point.
:party:

hiawog
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hiawog » Sat May 12, 2012 3:23 pm

if the incoming cv is from a midi keyboard or similar the k1600 has a split-keyboard mode that functions flawlessly. i believe this could also be done using a mult, comparator, logic inverter, and vcas.

Mitchk1989
*Probably* not a cyborg.

Post by Mitchk1989 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:42 pm

the a-152 is quite possibly one of the coolest "un-hip" modules in euro.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”