MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Possible Serge style alluminum chasis/enclosure
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author Possible Serge style alluminum chasis/enclosure
sanders
I was just looking at pre-fab aluminum chasis' for a Serge-style panel enclosure-- for the type panels Zthee is making also, and I came across this one, available in 17.25" length X 7.25" height X 3.25" depth (not the size represented in this picture):


They sell for about $30 here.

Can anyone who has a Serge enclosure, or who has knowledge of them say if these dimensions are about correct? I guess I'm mainly concerned that 3.25" will not be deep enough.

Does anyone else know of a good source, in the US, for this kind of Serge style chasis?
Randaleem
sanders wrote:
Can anyone who has a Serge enclosure, or who has knowledge of them say if these dimensions are about correct? I guess I'm mainly concerned that 3.25" will not be deep enough.

Hi sanders,

Nice find! Here's a link to the actual Bud drawing for this part: http://www.budind.com/pdf/hb401.pdf

Scroll down to ac-423 for dimensions. Where you can see it says 17x7x3". Which is the size of a serge Panel. As for the depth, Rex makes 2-1/2" deep boats, so you should be okay there too. Now since you're not actually putting Serge in, you probably want to check with Zthee about the required depth for the CGS build-out his panel is designed for. In general, Ken Stone's CGS boards will easily fit a 3" depth. But the build pics I've seen of Zthee's prototype suggest it might require deeper?

You'll probably need to drill new faceplate holes. I asked Zthee about the dimensions for these, but haven't heard back yet.

Probably worth adding that it's been reported Rex suggests the 4-1/2" boats over the 2-1/2" shallow cases he offers. Something about heat buildup, AIRC. I've asked a few electronics guru's with Serge stuff about this, and none of us see the reasoning. But Rex is the head of Serge products, so you may want to ask him directly for an explanation? (Why does he sell 2-1/2" boats? TKB only perhaps?)

Kind regards, Randal
aetherpulse
He suggested that I get the deeper boat when I placed my order. He didn't say why and I never thought to ask.
davemoog
you may also want to check out this series from BUD which comes in a number of different sizes http://octopart.com/info/Bud+Industries/CB-1370
sanders
Randaleem wrote:

Now since you're not actually putting Serge in, you probably want to check with Zthee about the required depth for the CGS build-out his panel is designed for.


Yes, I think that the CGS boards are the same size as Serge. I'm not planning on using one of Zthee's panels (as awesome as they are), but I thought those who are might find interest in this chasis also.

Zthee, can you offer any instruction here?

Randaleem wrote:

In general, Ken Stone's CGS boards will easily fit a 3" depth.


Definitely, I think the problem could potentially be with the PS and/or distribution network fitting properly behind the PCBs at this depth, right? Anyone care to comment?

Randaleem wrote:

You'll probably need to drill new faceplate holes. I asked Zthee about the dimensions for these, but haven't heard back yet.


I was hoping that it would be possible to drill holes into the flanges on this enclosure to secure the panel. rather than the other way round.

I guess when I get a chance I'll order one of these enclosures and see how it does, especially considering how reasonably priced they are.
pickleinn
Randaleem wrote:

Probably worth adding that it's been reported Rex suggests the 4-1/2" boats over the 2-1/2" shallow cases he offers. Something about heat buildup, AIRC. I've asked a few electronics guru's with Serge stuff about this, and none of us see the reasoning. But Rex is the head of Serge products, so you may want to ask him directly for an explanation? (Why does he sell 2-1/2" boats? TKB only perhaps?)

Kind regards, Randal


i got a creature a couple of months ago and had him put it in the low profile boat (to fit in a case). i just recently got a quad slope m-odule and complete my first serge panel. he originally was going to use the standard boat, but i was asking about cases and such, so he recommended the lower profile one. and thats what i got. after playing with it on for a few hours, the only heat build up i can tell is the power supply brick (not inside the boat). maybe more important if you have a PCO or something you want to track with more stable temperature conditions?
sascha.victoria
I should be getting my Animal next week. Its in the shallow boat. Rex recommended the shallow boat since I plan to eventually put it in some kind of brief case set up. When I asked him about heat build up, oscillator stability, etc... he said there's plenty of Serge shallow boats in the field and he's never had a problem with it or had anyone complain about it.
pickleinn
sascha.victoria wrote:
I should be getting my Animal next week. Its in the shallow boat. Rex recommended the shallow boat since I plan to eventually put it in some kind of brief case set up. When I asked him about heat build up, oscillator stability, etc... he said there's plenty of Serge shallow boats in the field and he's never had a problem with it or had anyone complain about it.


then what the advantage of the deeper boat? are the panels that require these deep boats? i really like the slimmer look......and i cant wait to get mine in "some kind of breif case set up" wink wink this is also why he recommended mine in a shallow boat as well.
pickleinn
sanders wrote:
I was just looking at pre-fab aluminum chasis' for a Serge-style panel enclosure-- for the type panels Zthee is making also, and I came across this one, available in 17.25" length X 7.25" height X 3.25" depth (not the size represented in this picture):


They sell for about $30 here.

Can anyone who has a Serge enclosure, or who has knowledge of them say if these dimensions are about correct? I guess I'm mainly concerned that 3.25" will not be deep enough.

Does anyone else know of a good source, in the US, for this kind of Serge style chasis?


i just bought one.....for $30, if it doesnt work, no huge loss. i will take some pictures and post it (of it next to my serge panel and the diy panels). i am doing zthee's panels too....we will see if those fit as well (and how much extra hole drilling we will have to do).

this looks like a good/cheap solution to a boat for diy! thanks for the find applause
sanders
pickleinn wrote:

this looks like a good/cheap solution to a boat for diy! thanks for the find applause


I´m glad you´re gonna try this out, I think it will be almost perfect. I prefer the shallow boats also, even if they´ll require more work to make everything fit.

The only other thing that ummeduately occured to me from looking at the picture, is that the flange might be a little wide, and could abstruct some of the panel harware. But I´m sure it could be bent or cut if so.
Randaleem
pickleinn wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:
Rex recommended the shallow boat since I plan to eventually put it in some kind of brief case set up. When I asked him about heat build up, oscillator stability, etc... he said there's plenty of Serge shallow boats in the field and he's never had a problem with it or had anyone complain about it.

then what the advantage of the deeper boat? are the panels that require these deep boats? i really like the slimmer look......and i cant wait to get mine in "some kind of breif case set up" wink wink this is also why he recommended mine in a shallow boat as well.

Hi pickleinn, sascha,

Yes, I didn't think there would be any problem. So now we've got conflicting reports of STS suggesting shallow is okay to one and shallow is not okay to another? Must be missing something in the *translation*.

Can't say about deeper board requirements, but one advantage of the deeper boat is that like the 200e you can fit power distribution in a central deeper boat feeding two outboard shallow wings. Been looking more closely into this as I've recently had a few people ask me now to make them cases for their Serge. I've got a few 200e-ish and Briefcase folding designs mapped out. We'll see how it goes!

@sanders: I think you're right; the flange looks too wide compared to pics seen here of Rex's boats. And I never meant to imply drilling into the serge panel itself, though on re-read I can see that's easily taken from what was written! Sorry about the lack of clarity!

Kind regards, Randal
jooks
If that boat doesn´t work out (but I think it will) I can recomend going to your local metalshop and ask them to do some boats for you. Cheap, fast and you can customize all you want:-) I found several places around where I live (small town) that could make them for me outside their regular work for a resonable price! They just need the a simple sketch and measures. Ended up paying 30$ each for 4 boats. I went with 80mm deep boats (3.15". I´m btw pretty sure zthee uses 3" for his boats) for my 200e design and will use a standalone psu with xlr power distribution. I´ll post some pictures later.

edit:


mono-poly
I think this boat is perfect for it.
Scaff
Beautiful idea. I will try that for a small .com/Moonmodular perfomance system. THX! applause
sanders
jooks wrote:
I went with 80mm deep boats (3.15". I´m btw pretty sure zthee uses 3" for his boats) for my 200e design and will use a standalone psu with xlr power distribution.


Wow. That's amazing-- did you have a 200e cabinet for reference?

It sounds like the dimentions of the pre-fab case are perfect then. Thanks for this info and pics.
pickleinn
Randaleem wrote:
Been looking more closely into this as I've recently had a few people ask me now to make them cases for their Serge. I've got a few 200e-ish and Briefcase folding designs mapped out. We'll see how it goes!
Kind regards, Randal


i would love to see your design....i have been thinking about diying a 200e style case, but if you are designing one, i would be really interested!

Jooks, that case is exactly what i want! did you have measurements from a 200e or did you just eyeball it? it looks like the top layout is the zthee voice panel, the middle the zthee sequencer panel and the bottom one the original zthee layout (with the buchla 281 clones). thats almost exactly what i am working on (the last panel, though, will have four cgs mega mixers, banana to 1/4 adaptors, four buchla 281 clone and an electro-music MPS).

would love to see more as you go along.

awesome thread btw thumbs up
Junk Rhythm
@pickleinn

Check out these threads from the electro-music DIY forums:

DIY Buchla 200e style Frac-Rack cabinet

DIY Buchla 200e Cabinet Rip-Off

They both contain some really good info on how to build the a Buchla-styled cabinet. These boats mentioned at the beginning of these thread look like they would work perfect for such a project.
b3nsf
holy crap! that thing is fricken amazing!!!
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
jooks
Quote:
Jooks, that case is exactly what i want! did you have measurements from a 200e or did you just eyeball it? it looks like the top layout is the zthee voice panel, the middle the zthee sequencer panel and the bottom one the original zthee layout (with the buchla 281 clones). thats almost exactly what i am working on (the last panel, though, will have four cgs mega mixers, banana to 1/4 adaptors, four buchla 281 clone and an electro-music MPS).

I eyeballed it and tried different measures with wellpaper until I found something that worked ok. I´d love to share the design but so far it´s only on A3 paper in 1:1. I´ll probably make the final case in birch (this one is made from an old ikea shelf I had in the garage)

The paperlayouts are just for looks so far and I´m still trying to get my head around what to have in the 3:rd boat. It would be fun having it all CGS though SlayerBadger! but I´d love some midi-cv also...hm.
pickleinn
Junk Rhythm wrote:
@pickleinn

Check out these threads from the electro-music DIY forums:

DIY Buchla 200e style Frac-Rack cabinet

DIY Buchla 200e Cabinet Rip-Off

They both contain some really good info on how to build the a Buchla-styled cabinet. These boats mentioned at the beginning of these thread look like they would work perfect for such a project.


i saw that a while ago, but wasnt really going that direction at the time.....thanks for reminding me about that thread, i really think i am going to try this out.

Ryan
pickleinn
so i played around with the prefab box (above) and using it with a buchla-inspired case (see pdf attachment, rev 1).

i have to say, the buchla design looks so simple and elegant, but it isnt a trivial design. here is a quick layout i did just to get an idea of how it would look with these prefab cases and how it would fold/unfold.

any suggestions?
sanders
Looks pretty good to me. Will you make a template from these drawings?
jooks
That looks great pickleinn! It´s quite a remarkable design really. Simple in looks but not in function. One thing you might want to try for flexibility is to have the same mounting holes for all boats. That way you can switch boats to any location. Might be handy if you build more boats w00t
pickleinn
sanders wrote:
Looks pretty good to me. Will you make a template from these drawings?


yeah, i am going to print out 1:1 paper templates and tape them to the wood....i will start with some scrap plywood to see if the layout is feasable. i can post the 1:1 drawings up here if anybody is interested.

Quote:
That looks great pickleinn! It´s quite a remarkable design really. Simple in looks but not in function. One thing you might want to try for flexibility is to have the same mounting holes for all boats. That way you can switch boats to any location. Might be handy if you build more boats


yeah, i need to move the holes on the top and bottom boats to match the middle boat hinges.....thans for the suggestion!
zthee
Looks neat!

Just think about that the knobs stick up about 20mm - and they are 17,5mm from the bottom edge and 14,5mm from the top edge.
Or maybe you've already taken that into consideration?

And doesn't the ends meet in the middle on the Buchla? Providing a locking mechanism? I've always thought about it that way.. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 1 of 13
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group