MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BBQ!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author BBQ!
zthee
I just fried a pot!
Think it could taste well with some sauce and a baked potato.
It's peanut butter jelly time!

What have you fried, toasted or burned today? Component wise I mean. Share your chips!
BugBrand
Electro cap -- smelled like stir-fry!
Kent
How did you fry a pot?! Were you using a soldering gun? Dead Banana

I love that burst & smoking electrolytic cap smell. It reminds me of the smell of Baskin & Robbins Ice Cream Cones.
zthee
I was kinda poking around in the module with a screw driver with the power on. And all of a sudden - bright light and magic smoke! yay! This is fun!
Roycie Roller
I was circuit bending an old walkie-talkie, with the battery hanging off in my hand & it went 'pop'...Luckily it didn't explode (if that's possible). Dead Banana
Robba
Never ever use a battery with circuitbending, always use mains!!!

hmmm.....

seriously, i just don't get it
sanders
I burned a CEM3340 VCO chip on a faulty Digisound PCB that I had etched myself. The chip cost me $30 and probably costs twise that much now. So stupid of me-- what a waste. It was one of my first attempts at home made PCBs. I still have the chip-- I´m hoping it will re-inanimate one day.
tony d
zthee wrote:
I was kinda poking around in the module with a screw driver with the power on. And all of a sudden - bright light and magic smoke! yay! This is fun!

haha, i did the same exact thing last night. but whats not funny is it was in my joystick. cry
pickleinn
i was trying to trouble shoot my 281 board that wasnt working properly......as i was poking around with the multimeter, it poped and flashed and smoke hmmm.....

it looks like i touched the ground to something and smoked a trace on the pcb. i just soldered a jumper in there, replaced a cap and it worked!

now thats how you fix things Rockin' Banana!
zthee
Argh! Toasted another pot yesterday. Now I know why people use heat shrink tubes in their builds! very frustrating

So the rule is - not to have bare wire going around in the box that can short to the front panel - that's connected to ground! Poff.

But the really boring part is that one VCO won't function after the incident. waah
suitandtieguy
Roycie Roller
zthee wrote:
Argh! Toasted another pot yesterday. Now I know why people use heat shrink tubes in their builds! very frustrating

So the rule is - not to have bare wire going around in the box that can short to the front panel - that's connected to ground! Poff.

But the really boring part is that one VCO won't function after the incident. waah

Are you trying to get polarity going into the LM3900?
I had a look at the datasheet & couldn't work out if it could take them on the pin where the waveshape goes in.
Did you get it working?
zthee
It was actually the pot for the built in sub oscillator I fried.

I had a resistor on the front panel going from the pot wiper to a small mixer board i built. And the leg of the resistor touched the front panel - this shorting out the pot.

I think the reason the oscillator won't work (or it works, but it's more of an LFO then a VCO) is because when I pushed +15V into GND I fried the LM394 as well. I'll swap it tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Feeding negative values into the LM3900 has been working fine. Nothing happens. Or not yet anyway.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1