[SOLD OUT] Euro panel for fonik's PS-3100 Resonators/X-fader

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

[SOLD OUT] Euro panel for fonik's PS-3100 Resonators/X-fader

Post by negativspace » Sat May 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Image Image

As of 10/01/2013, the panels are out of stock.

The knobs for this one are 16mm, so you can use many of the popular ones. It's not for Davies clones, though. The ones I use are similar to Flame or Bubblesound's knobs and are available in the EU at Banzai Music ("Ribby" style) or at Mammoth Electronics in the USA. (Mammoth has them in colors, too, and they're super-high quality unlike the Davies clones they carry.)

Order List (blue indicates paid, red indicates shipped)

negativspace [2]
mamonu [2]
mckenic [1]
janvanvolt [1]
dego [1]
astroscnautzer [2]
frozenkore [2]
samuraipizzacat29 [4]
zdarma [2]
limpmeat [1]
spotta [1]
mOBiTh [3]
demian [2]
reggiechacha [2]
ringstone [4]
rowman [2]
thetwlo [1]
regenbot [1]
Junk Rhythm [2]
keninverse [2]
ndkent [2]
far gon [2]
RSFC [1]
thanatronique [1]
wwall [2]
asterisk [1]
mono-poly [2]
hpsounds [1]
nangu [9]
synaptech [2] +1 xpander
mattrick [1]
NV [1]
iopop [1]
lazerkind [1]
ian-c [2]
Last edited by negativspace on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 65 times in total.

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Sat May 19, 2012 5:36 pm

hell yes im interested... i m having this built with a friend....

so i would be interested in two...

whatever options you put in.... :yay: :yay: :yay:

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sat May 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Yup! Me too please!

New to the PS-3100 so whatever options are decided are cool with me!
I'd take one please!

:tu:

zomgw00t
What are birds?

Re: Eurorack panels for fonik's PS-3100 Resonators/X-fader

Post by zomgw00t » Sat May 19, 2012 7:41 pm

negativspace wrote:[img]
1) I'd like a global CV input - so I could replace the LFO with a signal which is applied to all 3 channels and responds to the 'CH 3 INVERT' switch. I think this can be done with a simple hack + a switching jack? I recall looking over the schematic and concluding that it could, but it's been a long while...
Couldn't all the CV inputs just be normalized with switching jacks?

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Sat May 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Interested in panels
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

thanatronique
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thanatronique » Sat May 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Really interested in a panel. I like the look you give to your module. I also like the one fonik did plus it has the pan fader on it. Do you plan on adding that? or is there and I 'm just not seeing it?

But I'll let the more experienced guys decide on the best options as long as it uses both boards.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Sat May 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm easy as is or w/suggested mods. You are also doing a panel for the x-fade-panner, yes?

janvanvolt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by janvanvolt » Sat May 19, 2012 9:54 pm

one panel for me please.

asterisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by asterisk » Sat May 19, 2012 11:54 pm

id also like the see the pan/fader built into the PS-3100 like fonik has. i guess thats his DoubleTrouble version? the stereo version seems more interesting to me!

personally im not that interested in the onboard LFO (since i have plenty of LFOs and CV sources elsewhere in my system)
i do like the idea of normalized CV INPUT jacks 1->2->3 where something plugged into CV input 1 would control all 3.

are the DEPTH knobs just attenuators for the CV inputs? or is it something else? if they are attenuators, itd be nice to have those as attenuverters!

if the LFO is kept on there, id like to see the high/med/low range switch and the tri/ramp/saw wave select switch. those seem like easy mods according to fonik's pdfs.

Dego
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dego » Sun May 20, 2012 4:46 am

I want panel for 3100 and panner :cloud:
Last edited by Dego on Sun May 20, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Re: Eurorack panels for fonik's PS-3100 Resonators/X-fader

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Sun May 20, 2012 10:41 am

negativspace wrote:
1) I'd like a global CV input - so I could replace the LFO with a signal which is applied to all 3 channels and responds to the 'CH 3 INVERT' switch. I think this can be done with a simple hack + a switching jack? I recall looking over the schematic and concluding that it could, but it's been a long while...

2) Input attenuator? LFO out? Mix control? No 'speed' switch?
Maybe, to reach goal 1, you should have an LFO output but not have the LFO normalled to the CV inputs. Then you could have the CV inputs normalled to eachother so whatever voltage source you put in the firsrt jack flows to the next unless it broken with a seperate cv input.

ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

Post by ringstone » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Pretty happy with the panel as is, I would normal the LFO to the CV jacks. A global CV would be good but I like the panel symmetry, it's always possible to mult. And I prefer the crossfader on a separate panel, as planned.

Cheers
Blair

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun May 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Working some trickery with the jacks doesn't quite get me what I'm after... I want the invert switch on ch3 to invert the external signal as well as the internal. I believe it's possible to tap in between the LFO section's output and the distribution circuit to the 3 channels and have the CV input replace the LFO signal before going into the switch/inverter/etc. I think. Like I said, it's been nearly a year since I sat down and looked at doing that. I mostly just recall being convinced it could be done. :oops:

LFO Shape switch is something that could be cool... what if I replaced the LFO Speed switch with Shape, and we used an optional push-pull pot for LFO Rate giving us 2 switchable speeds? I suppose if it's going to be that kinda party we could use a push-pull on Ch3's Depth pot, making that the invert switch. Then we could add a jack by the LFO - either LFO out or Global CV in.

:hmm: :despair:

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 pm

negativspace wrote:Working some trickery with the jacks doesn't quite get me what I'm after... I want the invert switch on ch3 to invert the external signal as well as the internal. I believe it's possible to tap in between the LFO section's output and the distribution circuit to the 3 channels and have the CV input replace the LFO signal before going into the switch/inverter/etc. I think. Like I said, it's been nearly a year since I sat down and looked at doing that. I mostly just recall being convinced it could be done. :oops:

LFO Shape switch is something that could be cool... what if I replaced the LFO Speed switch with Shape, and we used an optional push-pull pot for LFO Rate giving us 2 switchable speeds? I suppose if it's going to be that kinda party we could use a push-pull on Ch3's Depth pot, making that the invert switch. Then we could add a jack by the LFO - either LFO out or Global CV in.

:hmm: :despair:
The LFO invert is done just after the LFO out, it's right down in the bottom left corner of the circuit:

http://www.modular.fonik.de/pdf/PS3100_DT_v3.pdf

Then Fonik has normalled the LFO (including the switched normal/inverted for the third band) to each of the CV in sockets. It doesn't look there's a provision for a global CV or to switch between LFO/external CV before it gets to the invert circuit without cutting traces.

Cheers
Blair

EDIT +1 on the LFO shape though, I saw that just after I posted above.
EDIT AGAIN: I would probably use one of your voltage processors with this - direct out + 2 inverted versions would achieve much the same...

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun May 20, 2012 10:06 pm

ringstone wrote: The LFO invert is done just after the LFO out, it's right down in the bottom left corner of the circuit:

http://www.modular.fonik.de/pdf/PS3100_DT_v3.pdf

Then Fonik has normalled the LFO (including the switched normal/inverted for the third band) to each of the CV in sockets. It doesn't look there's a provision for a global CV or to switch between LFO/external CV before it gets to the invert circuit without cutting traces.
Exactly right - but I'm willing to cut a trace to hack it in. It should just be a matter of cramming a switching jack between P5/R41 and R43, so that when a jack is plugged in the external signal goes into the inverter/normalling 'matrix' rather than the LFO. (Essentially in the same place as J4 in the schematic.) I've omitted the global LFO Depth control (P5) BTW, replacing it with one attenuator per channel, post-jack.

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Sun May 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Got it. It is possible without cutting any traces. There is an LFO depth control (on header P5), the LFO signal could be replaced there.

This is before the LFO out header though.

Cheers
Blair

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun May 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Yep, I suppose hacking it into the pads @ P5 is the perfect idea. Makes no sense to jumper that and then cut into a trace 1cm away. :doh:

asterisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by asterisk » Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 pm

are the depth controls just attenuators for the CV inputs? are they attenuverters?

is the internal LFO always going to the three filters/resonators or just only when there is nothing plugged into the CV jacks?

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Sun May 20, 2012 11:30 pm

negativspace wrote:Yep, I suppose hacking it into the pads @ P5 is the perfect idea. Makes no sense to jumper that and then cut into a trace 1cm away. :doh:
You probably worked all that out last time... :hihi:

If you still wanted LFO out you could normal the LFO (on pin 2 of P5) to the Global CV in jack switched terminal then stretch a 1k resistor across to the LFO out jack... Global CV in would go to P5 pin 3.

Cheers
Blair

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun May 20, 2012 11:34 pm

I don't know if I looked that hard at it, other than to see the spot in the schematic where I could work it. I'd already built mine at that point so it was purely an academic exercise. :hihi:

If we do want to go with an LFO out, I like your plan. I can't say I've missed that feature, but I'm open to the possibility.

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Sun May 20, 2012 11:39 pm

negativspace wrote:I don't know if I looked that hard at it, other than to see the spot in the schematic where I could work it. I'd already built mine at that point so it was purely an academic exercise. :hihi:

If we do want to go with an LFO out, I like your plan. I can't say I've missed that feature, but I'm open to the possibility.
Well, LFO out is probably necessary if we are going with a separate crossfader module. Unless you intended cabling between the two modules with a ribbon cable or similar...?

Cheers
Blair

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Mon May 21, 2012 12:16 am

I'll need to look at the x-fader again... Matthias didn't have those on hand when I bought my resonator boards so I never even gave it glance one. :deadbanana:

rowman
birds are dinosaurs

Post by rowman » Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 am

Could you just normal CV1 to the LFO, then normal CV2 and CV3 to the CV1 jack? So then CV1 becomes the global CV input. LFO out would be good though, since I plan on using 2 of these in stereo.

lazerkind
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lazerkind » Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 am

Definitely interested in a resonator panel.
The global CV option sounds nice, although not a must have in my setup.

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 am

rowman wrote:Could you just normal CV1 to the LFO, then normal CV2 and CV3 to the CV1 jack? So then CV1 becomes the global CV input. LFO out would be good though, since I plan on using 2 of these in stereo.
Actually I think you mean "normal CV1 to the CV2 and CV3 jack socket" (as well as sending it to resonator 1)? Perhaps, but how does this simplify things? You lose the ability to invert the global CV to the 3rd resonator as well...

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: Oh, yes, you do lose one jack socket (Global CV). But you also lose the ability to selectively replace the LFO signal to just Resonator 1 (as well as the external CV invert).

Return to “Music Tech DIY”