How to use matrix pin panel?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

tabori
Learning to Wiggle

How to use matrix pin panel?

Post by tabori » Sun May 20, 2012 9:36 am

Any info is welcome

Sorry for newbie question

Ta!

tabori
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tabori » Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Anybody? :despair:

In thanks,
Tabori

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Sun May 20, 2012 1:02 pm

You'll need to be more specific.
But in general, a matrix will have inputs on one axis and outputs on the other. To patch an input to an output, establish a connection where those two axes intersect.

tabori
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tabori » Sun May 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Many thanks pulse_divider

I've seen this here
viewtopic.php?t=59722
and I wonder how that will work?

Ta!

Tabori

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun May 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Hopefully, either of these will clear it up for you:

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ericD13 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Quick question.
Quick answer : you use them with pins you insert in holes.

Maybe you should ask a more precise question and be less rushy (?)
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Sun May 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Well the Telemetry pic is a pretty good example.

You can see the vertical has the triangles going into the matrix. Those are your source of voltage. The horizontal listing on top are the destinations. When a pin goes in you get a connection from one to the other.

There are pros and cons. If it was perfect there wouldn't be synths made with patchcords any more.

tabori
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tabori » Sun May 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Kent and ericD13 Thank you
A BIG THANKS TO YOU ndkent

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun May 20, 2012 2:34 pm

You are welcome, Tabori.
ndkent wrote:Well the Telemetry pic is a pretty good example.

You can see the vertical has the triangles going into the matrix. Those are your source of voltage. The horizontal listing on top are the destinations. When a pin goes in you get a connection from one to the other.
Notice that the X & Y are labeled on the bottom and right sides.

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ericD13 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:53 pm

More precisely :
when you have a modular (even a semi-modular, as is VOSTOK) you have to join modules.

Almost everyone uses cables (bananas, jacks 1/4 or 1/8) : then you got a mess with sooo many knotted cables.
A few uses pin matrix : the cables are inside the box and if you want to join an output to an input you just make it with a pin. You got then a neat picture but you don't see better what are the connections.

Worst : the choice is limited with pin matrices, the joy of modular is to patch anything to anything but the pin matrix only allows a few connections.

And I find my cables sooooo nice.

You can get a kind of matrix with the Moon M592
Moon modular Page
You've got 12 inputs and 12 outputs with 6 pins (:despair:) but they are attenuated :love:
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun May 20, 2012 5:11 pm

The main differences between a pin matrix and a patch cord setup is that the pin matrix is usually only found in non-modular systems. The "modules" in theses systems may function similar to the individual modules in a true modular but they can't be moved around and can't be exchanged with other modules. This is because their inputs and outputs are hard wired to the matrix. The matrix acts as the patch cords in these systems. Typically all the outputs of all the function blocks of the synth (the VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, etc) are connected to the rows in the matrix and all the inputs of the "modules" (the function blocks) are on the columns. Put a pin where they cross and you have connected them. The advantage of the matrix, theoretically is that by putting a "pin" in more than one position on a row or column at the same time will connect to or from more than one "module" to another - every column or row is a built in passive multiple. and that is also the problem - they are passive multiples. Driving more than a couple of destinations with one source can sometimes cause voltage drops that will mess with tunings and other aspects of the patch.
The other main drawback to matrix patching is the limited number of ins and outs available verses the price. The old EMS VCS3 and AKS pin matrixes only had 16 rows x 16 columns - only 16 ins and 16 outs. There were 256 connections involved in the matrix but only that many ins and outs. With any decent true modular there are MANY MANY more inputs and outputs.
There are matrix modules for modular systems. Passive matrixes are easy to make with 3mm jacks, and not too expensive (as low as $0.25 a crosspoint) but they will always suffer the problems passive mults have unless you go the route of the Hinton Switchmix which is the only active matrix I know of. Not cheap but a premium product that won't disappoint. The purpose of patching a modular into a pin matrix or switch matrix is kinda lost on me I have to admit. I don't see the advantages at all. For me personally, for a matrix to work ergonomically the rows and columns have to have dedicated functions - I want to always know row 6 is square wave out of VCO 3, things like that. in a matrix module you end up patching patch cords and for me that is really redundant.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”