MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is it worth switching over to Mac for Volta?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Is it worth switching over to Mac for Volta?
auricle
I know that this is a VERY subjective topic but I would appreciate your input nevertheless.

I like to record everything I do rather than just sit and twiddle (although that's cool, too) and I've been drooling over Volta for a while now. It would be great to integrate it better into my daw, especially for poly work, host-synced arps, sequencers, lfos, etc.

However, I'm on a PC with Cubase as my DAW. Is it worth shelling out a considerable amount of money for a Mac to use it? It's all a bit of a gamble as we don't even know if MOTU will bring out a PC version at all (my bet is probably 'no'). I could get a fairly low-spec iMac (I also have Ableton Live which I could use to run Volta) and hook it up to the PC for the actual recording, mixing and using Windows only plugins I have. It's doable but messy.

Anyway, it'll take me some time to save up for one, especially here in Moscow where Apple gear is significantly higher here than anywhere else. Perhaps they might release a PC version in the meantime.

Any thoughts?
confusional
Redacted.
Luka
well i know lots of people will stick their pc noses up at me for this
but i switched to mac for logic and quickly ditched logic but kept mac and have never looked back
but i got mine really cheap so it was worth it

if i had to pay full price i wouldn't do it
there will probably be pc support for volta or some alternative eventually
auricle
Yes, I've got a MOTU interface - Ultralite Mk3.

Luka - that's the problem. They're really expensive here in Russia :( If I could find a way of importing one from the UK and avoid paying duty, tax, etc.
Luka
then no
can you hackintosh it?
might be an easier, well cheaper way to do it
auricle
Luka wrote:
then no
can you hackintosh it?
might be an easier, well cheaper way to do it

I tried it but couldn't get it to work even though my hardware is compatible. I kept having troubles with the video card. *sigh*
Soy Sos
Like bradleyallen said, I think you should wait.
I have a Mac, a compatible MOTU interface and Digital Performer
and I'm waiting. There are more improvements to be made and if demand
is high enough maybe eventually Volta will be supported for your format.
Doing a complete revamp on you system can be a complete pain in the ass.
Maybe an alternative would be to keep an eye out for an affordable used Mac
(there might be a forum member closer by looking to sell something)
and build a parallel system slowly and cheaply over time. When it's ready
and you're satisfied, you could do a safer switch.
sascha.victoria
I really doubt that MOTU is going to make a PC version of Volta. They ditched that platform a long time ago and definitely have not looked back.

Another option is the Kenton Pro 2000 mkII. That has 2 CV, 2 trigger / gate, and 6 aux outputs. That's a hell of a lot of control.
suitandtieguy
what about a used macintosh?
futuresoundsystems
I'm currently thinking of switching over from a PC laptop to a Mac for live performances - I'm fed up of the PC being so unreliable, mainly with peripherals, and also the Mac gives more features (more powerful, better bus powering via Firewire, etc.)

That then draws me closer to the Volta system if I decide to ever buy it...

If you've got the cash, I say go for it.
suitandtieguy
also: Numerology doesn't run on Windows.
confusional
Redacted.
Soy Sos
No I know what you mean, I've been using a Mac and Performer
(pre DP, synced to a 1/2" reel to reel 8 track) since my SE30.
I was more commenting on this statement:

"If you've got a workflow that's a pleasure to use and you're
able to be productive, then rock on."

It's enough of a hassle switching between machines within
the same platform. Put up a Want To Buy in the buy/sell/trade
and see if anyone's got something in Europe.
xpander
if you use CV-controlled synthesizers a lot, the answer is yes.
Luka
futuresoundsystems wrote:
I'm currently thinking of switching over from a PC laptop to a Mac for live performances - I'm fed up of the PC being so unreliable, mainly with peripherals, and also the Mac gives more features (more powerful, better bus powering via Firewire, etc.)

be careful which new mac laptop you choose
ive heard people talking about the lack of firewire options in the new laptop ranges
stretta
Quote:
ive heard people talking about the lack of firewire options in the new laptop ranges

Firewire hath returned on all Mac laptops.
sascha.victoria
I forgot to mention earlier, a Mac laptop with an SSD (solid state drive) and you will be in heaven. I put one in my laptop and it went from fast to lamborghini!
futuresoundsystems
Luka wrote:
futuresoundsystems wrote:

be careful which new mac laptop you choose

Yes, I was aware they had taken the FW away from some of there models but I was told as stretta said it's back on all the new models now?
auricle
stretta wrote:
Quote:

Firewire hath returned on all Mac laptops.

Yes, but I've heard that the chipset Apple uses on the new laptops aren't by Texas Instruments which can cause various problems with audio interfaces. I could be wrong though.

Further news - I've managed to get a 'Hackintosh' installed on my PC so I'm testing everything out. So far I'm incredibly impressed with the OSX experience, some things are obviously different to Windows but I'm finding my way round okay. I'm fairly experienced with Unix/Linux so I understand the file structure and most of the commands in the Terminal so I'm not a complete fish out of water. The downside is that some of my plugins are PC only so I'll have to sacrifice those or sell them on. I think that Volta and Numerology are worth it.

I'll think I'll start saving up for a Mac Pro.

Here's Harry with the weather....
Morley
I say yes
Price isn't a big argument anymore and as a system, OSX really is nicely integrated.
I have a PC for a project I'm working on and feel much happier when I go back to the Mac
Analog>Plugins
I think I was probably the first person who bought Volta without having a Mac, such was my need for Volta!

Apart from composing I design sound libraries so Volta really would help me out. I even went and bought a 2408mkIII interface. I turned my PC into a Hackintosh and dual boot from Osx to XP.

To get Volta working inside Cubase 5.1 I host Volta inside Native Instruments Kore. This works well...... But I really do hope that a Pc version is coming out soon as setting up a Hackintosh is a knigtmare for most people! Outside of America most people use PC's so there is a huge market out there.

Now if only I could get used to that stupid mac mouse pointer arrow thing.... the acceleration algo is doing my head in..... Fast then so slow I want to throw it across the room lol.

I am finding that OSX outperforms XP on my Quadcore system, better use of multi core cpu. I think the answer to my mouse problem was to buy a Kensington mouse? I'll try that but am low on funds.

To the guy having trouble setting up a Hackintosh....make sure you get a graphics card that works with Osx, i'm using an Ati HD3870.
auricle
Well, from what I'm seeing so far I'm pretty happy to permanently switch over to Mac for my music computer.

Everything is working for me except Time Machine's GUI doesn't work for me. I have an NVidia 7600GS which is rather old now.

I'm thinking of getting an NVidia 9800 GTX+

I also need to find a Volta stockist - I don't think there is one in Russia.
stretta
auricle wrote:

Perhaps your best plan is to consult with Klemm in Germany. They may be able to help.

http://www.klemm-music.de/
auricle
stretta wrote:
auricle wrote:

Perhaps your best plan is to consult with Klemm in Germany. They may be able to help.

http://www.klemm-music.de/

Cheers, Stretta. I'll speak to them.

Also, I heard that special leads need to be made up to connect to the back of the interface. Is that right?
stretta
[quote="auricle"][quote="stretta"]
auricle wrote:
I heard that special leads need to be made up to connect to the back of the interface. Is that right?

We recommend TRS to TS cables with the ring floating (disconnected)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2