MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cable management, OCD workspace organization, beautifying
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Cable management, OCD workspace organization, beautifying
Bath House
I've decided to go down the rabbit hole of actually managing my cord spaghetti, rat's nests, etc. I'm in the research phase right now, but I just bought two of these:

http://www.bluelounge.com/products/cablebox/

As deeply offensive as it is that these are $30 plastic boxes with holes in them, it's amazing the difference that they make in making my workspace, under the desk, etc. feel cleaner and more organized.

That company makes a lot of other pretty-looking things for dealing with cables and clutter.

What do you guys do? Any totally awesome products or solutions? I'm really not looking for "hacks" or ghetto solutions like drilling holes in a toolbox, I'd rather have good-looking stuff, clean stuff, well-designed solutions, etc. Right now, I'm also trying to clean up my cable runs with cable ties, shorter cables whenever possible (why is every USB cable so LONG when it only needs to go a few inches from the computer to the external hard drive?), etc. Next up is some way to actually hide or manage cable runs - I've seen some "gutter-style" things that run under desks.
Backroads
This seems like a clean, cheap way to organize individual cables:

Available here: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=11210
ThinLazy
I've had alot of luck with nails

[/img]
Bath House
Backroads wrote:
This seems like a clean, cheap way to organize individual cables:

Available here: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=11210

Those look pretty rad! There are a lot of interesting things out there for just handling cable clutter alone. Insane design premium aside, I like the idea of things like this:

Robert McLeod
I use the one in the middle of this picture to label the instrument side of wall wart cables. I find that I easily forget which adapter goes to which box.

These can be found at LeeValley.com
Bath House
Robert McLeod wrote:
I use the one in the middle of this picture to label the instrument side of wall wart cables. I find that I easily forget which adapter goes to which box.

These can be found at LeeValley.com

A labelmaker is GREAT for labeling wall warts. I have all of mine tagged after one unfortunate incident involving an accidental switcheroo. Dead Banana
Robert McLeod
From a distance they look like a simple twist tie, except they have a rubberized exterior and thicker metal core, so twisting to knot isn't required. I mostly use the short ones to bundle things up, though they are available up to 24" in length.

Once again, these can be found at LeeValley.com
Robert McLeod
When I think I may have a need I typically buy a handful of whatever type from eBay, often for very little $.

Bath House
Robert McLeod wrote:
When I think I may have a need I typically buy a handful of whatever type from eBay, often for very little $.

I totally need to invest in a bunch of these. Is there a particular seller on eBay that you recommend?
akrylik
Keep your floor completely clear of clutter by taking a few of these:

and attaching them to the underbelly of your tabletop.
Bath House
akrylik wrote:
Keep your floor completely clear of clutter by taking a few of these:

and attaching them to the underbelly of your tabletop.

Interesting! What/where is this? It looks like a dish drying rack.
akrylik
A dish rack will work too. This particular "model" is a wire desk tray:

http://www.buy.com/th/wire-desk-tray.html
Robert McLeod
Bath House wrote:
I totally need to invest in a bunch of these. Is there a particular seller on eBay that you recommend?

I don't have any in particular to recommend, I find different sellers have their own core competencies and I seldom use the same one twice for cables as my interests wander. Aside from some long arrival times associated with free shipping across the Pacific I have been extremely pleased with quality and accuracy.

As these are simply improvements and not mission-critical items, I take my time and use the Saved Search feature to first get a feel for the eBay marketplace for whatever item.
ignatius
here's my solution.

Mr. Green

richard
ignatius wrote:
here's my solution.

Mr. Green

thank god, I am not alone!
ignatius
richard wrote:
ignatius wrote:
here's my solution.

Mr. Green

thank god, I am not alone!

and that's only 2/3 of the cable sprawl. some audio-midi-power cables/snakes go all the way tot he other side of the studio. i'd rather have the gear in the right place than worry about having the cables in the right place. seriously, i just don't get it
b3nsf
I have 12 assorted hosa snakes... not being used because I change my mind too often.... and I don't like patchbays... I know... I know... plugging things directly into the soundcard each time... takes forever! that's me, when I make a track the room turns into a warzone... and that's pretty often!

Guinness ftw!
rockmanrock
Bath House wrote:

As deeply offensive as it is that these are $30 plastic boxes with holes in them, it's amazing the difference that they make in making my workspace, under the desk, etc. feel cleaner and more organized.

Website says "Made from fire retardant plastic."

Some of these wall-warts can get a bit warm, not sure stuffing a load of them in a box is such a great idea, especially for those people who leave their stuff on all the time.
Soy Sos
Don't fear patch bays b3nsf.
They make a huge difference in studio life!
Bath House
rockmanrock wrote:
Bath House wrote:

Website says "Made from fire retardant plastic."

Some of these wall-warts can get a bit warm, not sure stuffing a load of them in a box is such a great idea, especially for those people who leave their stuff on all the time.

Yeah, I've been checking out the "heat load" in the box and it's not bad over the last week, including some pretty heavy sessions. But an absolute consideration for sure.
continuum
I'm a fan of velcro cable ties. These are not much more per unit than zip ties:

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-90924/dp/B0 00F5K82A/ref=pd_sbs_op_1
DIVINEAUDIO
My bandmate and I just recently scored a decent size chunk of slatwall for each of our studios. Makes cable organization much easier to deal with.

a8252359
I've actually just started using a ton of these things.

They have tons of cable management applications. Cost me 3$ at the dollar store. I've got 18 of them in various sizes.
KentMarshall11
ignatius wrote:
here's my solution.

Mr. Green

Oh GOD, a man cannot be able to understand Which wire is to use for the purpose. You should use cable ties for this so that it can be avoided by any harm and looks good to see.
Yodhan
Don't have a picture of it, but I use a couple of those over the door coat hangers to hang cables. Works for separating different types of cables. I also use colored tape to help identify things like inputs and outputs and power supplies. Saves me time when shuffling through things.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2