MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap guitar effects pedals for my modular ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Cheap guitar effects pedals for my modular ?
h4ndcrafted
I want to get an effect chain running for my synth. I have no interest in multi fx , been there.

I can see myself getting a bit if a fetish for guitar pedals.

I'd like to start off with some super budget ones just to see whather I am going to have some fun with this.

Can you recommend a budget make that does half decent pedals ?

My local guitar store has ones by a company called 'Chord' but I have no idea of the quality, I think it did use BBC chips and I liked the idea of using analogue.
Also looking at the Artec Analog Delay Pedal SE-ADL.

I'm after a delay atm, and want the Boss RE20. But some budget ones would be fine for now.

Any favs out there ? I did a search but didn't seem to get much back, surprisingly ?
burnn_out!
EH big muff
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
boss
ju4n
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
boss

+1 The DD series all have trigger ins which work perfectly with clock signals too.
mangros
Behringer VD400 (analogue delay) and CC300 (analogue stereo chorus like a Boss Dimension C).

They'll choke at anything resembling modular signal levels but sound great when used with a quiet mixer send.
h4ndcrafted
Yep I noticed he behringer seemed to be one of the few super budget ones with a BBD.
Also wondered about it having enough headroom. I have an old Yamaha 10/2 mixer I could set up a s&r with, but the s&r on that is a bit backward from what I remember.

Could I not just attenuate the last routing before I go out to the pedal/s ?...
mangros
Yeah, though it gets awkward/noisy reamping it. Using a mixer send just gives you better wet/dry - some cheap pedals attenuate the bass so it's nice to have the body of the original signal mixed in.
h4ndcrafted
mangros wrote:
Yeah, though it gets awkward/noisy reamping it. Using a mixer send just gives you better wet/dry - some cheap pedals attenuate the bass so it's nice to have the body of the original signal mixed in.

Ah good point, thanks
estin
The digitech hardwire series will handle line level just fine and can be very decent. Especially their digital delay. Otherwise Eventide timefactor is on my wish list.
EliphasOfCascadia
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Blue-MOSKY-Analog-Delay-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-Tr ue-Bypass-Y1S3-/262569467018

cant go wrong for the price. Its a chinese repro of mad professors og blue delay. I have had fun with mine to say the least.
Voltage_Controller
>>>https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Blue-MOSKY-Analog-Delay-Guitar-Effect-Pedal -Tr ue-Bypass-Y1S3-/262569467018

The price on these are so crazy cheap. A few years ago I would DIY delay circuits, but being able to get these for <30$, it make no sense build when you can canibalize (or just use them as-is - the cases look nice).
fac
The Behringer VD-400 Vintage Delay is pretty good for $25.

Line6 DL4 is pretty good as well and handles modular levels like a champ, although it's big. Can be found second hand for $120-$150.
mousegarden
I've found, for some reason, that plugging straight into a pedal sounds better than using a mixer send. It's hard to describe, but the sound seems much fuller, and the effect sounds "richer" I've tried a mixer, but it just doesn't sound right to me, even pre-fade, it still sounds a bit week, or watered down.
Regarding levels, I've found EHX pedals are quite tolerant of higher levels, Behringer effects are very good value, and sound surprisingly good for the money.
Rex Coil 7
mousegarden wrote:
I've found, for some reason, that plugging straight into a pedal sounds better than using a mixer send...
That's the only way to fly. Using a mixer send is just a big suck.

There's some mini pedals made by "Mooer". Get on eBay, type in the search field "Mooer mini guitar pedals" and it will pull up brand new ones starting at around $30.00 with free shipping.

"Joyo" is another Chinese brand ... they start at around $25.00 for brand new ones with free shipping.

Used Boss pedals can come in around $30.00 bucks and up.

Rockin' Banana!
mousegarden
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
I've found, for some reason, that plugging straight into a pedal sounds better than using a mixer send...
That's the only way to fly. Using a mixer send is just a big suck.

There's some mini pedals made by "Mooer". Get on eBay, type in the search field "Mooer mini guitar pedals" and it will pull up brand new ones starting at around $30.00 with free shipping.

"Joyo" is another Chinese brand ... they start at around $25.00 for brand new ones with free shipping.

Used Boss pedals can come in around $30.00 bucks and up.

Rockin' Banana!

Another vote for Mooer here, nice and small, and good value.
I'm also an advocate of battery power, all those cables and multi-PSU"s are a total PITA.
hamildad
mangros wrote:
Behringer VD400 (analogue delay) and CC300 (analogue stereo chorus like a Boss Dimension C).

They'll choke at anything resembling modular signal levels but sound great when used with a quiet mixer send.

I bought both of these in the dawn of time, and they still serve me well... gives you delay/chorus and lets you save for the more premium models...

my only issue was with a behringer Reverb, which sucked batteries and glitched when the battery was low....

picture me taking massive rack apart for find the glitch, then finding out its the bloody pedal...
pricklyrobot
Danelectro is another good brand for cool cheap pedals. Plastic enclosures, but they’re pretty robust. I have a few that I’ve had for 10+ years with no issues.
abelovesfun
The AI006 comes out in January. It's a 2HP impedance "level matcher" with attenuators on the in and out for under $100. It really opens up the "depth" of my pedals. On my Tube Screamer clone, I now have a full range of control over the fuzz, wherein going direct only gave me about 40%. On reverbs, I get more detail in lower feedback settings and longer tails. Still making demo vids and testing it on other configs - haven't tried CV yet.
BenA718
The RE-20 sounds amazing but you will have to attenuate the signal going into it a LOT; it clips very easily.
chachi
i just got a Tomsline Mario. for $25 shipped i guess i wasn't hoping it'd be amazing, but it's pretty bad. seems to be a ring mod with digital carrier, tons of self noise, sounds kind of interesting with guitar. would not recommend.
Lux A Turner
Ammoon and Rowin are another two, Chinese manufacturers, who make small, cheap FX pedals. The only downside IMO, is that they're so small they can't take batteries, so rely completely on 9V PSUs.
chachi
Lux A Turner wrote:
Ammoon and Rowin are another two, Chinese manufacturers, who make small, cheap FX pedals. The only downside IMO, is that they're so small they can't take batteries, so rely completely on 9V PSUs.

same with the Tomsline, it was super easy to just solder on a 9v snap. access is through the back.
fluxmonkey
agree w/ everyone about levels... guitar pedals are not designed to handle modular signal levels. use a voltage divider to attenuate the signal going in, and then a basic (quiet) preamp designed for modular levels to bring it back up. check ken stone's old circuit (now available via elby): http://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/cgs/cgs60/cgs60_sba.html
fluxmonkey
[oops - duplicate post]
SmartBits
The Nux Tape Core Deluxe is pretty impressive and only about €58,-:
http://www.nuxefx.com/show-49-27-1.html
I use this mainly with my TTSH to free up my Timeline and it sounds wonderful! SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2