MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack & pedal Distortion : Strakal Brulu
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> TouellSkouarn Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author Eurorack & pedal Distortion : Strakal Brulu
broon_777
Many thanks for releasing your schematic - I've been trying to figure out best way of converting some of my old Ge fuzzbox schematics to Eurorack for ages and this is really helping.
Monobass
I knew I would have to own one of these after Os from Expert Sleepers set up his rig next to me at the last Brighton Modular Meet and cranked his Strakal till it squealed.

I've only spent an hour in total with it so far but its fantastic!
I really like the effect you get with a low input, the way it starves.

Also though it has a lovely thickening effect when used with subtlety, it gave my SynthTech e350 some great rasp.
richard
I just got a V2 pedal and I really like it. Thanks for making it. Been lusting for ages!

Is the pedal also okay with modular levels?

What is the safe/effective CV range?

Richard
haiku-ish
i'm glad you like it !

it is ok to use it with modular levels, and cv control less than 10v
the cv response is not very linear so you don't have to feed it full 0-10v for entire range.
richard
thanks

settling in with his new buddies

haiku-ish
nice !
what have you connected into the cv in ?
richard
CV output is going from the Blippoo to the Strakal via a mult

this setup actually creates a strange problem: if the CV input is engaged then the mute switch I have between the Blippoo and Strakal audio path doesn't quite work properly. Even when muted the signal still seems to get through to the Strakal? Never had anything quite like that before. Quite odd. It could be that even a very small amount of leak that somehow gets past the mute switch becomes as loud as the unmuted signal. This only happens when the CV input is used.

Unrelated switch question: the bypass switch on the Strakal is so hard and loud that I'm afraid I simply must replace it with a silent one. I assume a switch is a switch is a switch, but is there any specification I need to know before sourcing a more silent replacement? Or could you even point me to one?
haiku-ish
richard wrote:
Quite odd. It could be that even a very small amount of leak that somehow gets past the mute switch becomes as loud as the unmuted signal. This only happens when the CV input is used.

Yes really Strange... don't know for now how this can happen

richard wrote:
Unrelated switch question: the bypass switch on the Strakal is so hard and loud that I'm afraid I simply must replace it with a silent one. I assume a switch is a switch is a switch, but is there any specification I need to know before sourcing a more silent replacement? Or could you even point me to one?

this is a 3pdt switch wired as true bypass.
richard
thanks it seems I need to keep the input level down to below 5%. Strange because I am inputting line levels not modular.

Sounds insane though, I'm sure it is just a matter of finding the exact setting for my setup thumbs up
richard
Report back: I tracked the leakage and noise problems to a bad moulded cable which was turning everything a bit a microphonic. Changed that cable and Everything is sweet here now. thumbs up
haiku-ish
cool, thanks for the update !
richard
you don't happen to know of a "silent" 3pdt switch do you? This one is really not suiting me
haiku-ish
unfortunately the silent switches i know, are not 3pdt, and use relays or fet for true bypass. But it is possible to change for a silent solution with the expense of an additional circuit.
haiku-ish
here is an exemple

http://www.muzique.com/news/relay-bypass-revised/

Quote:
This is a 1″ x 1″ pc board which holds an AVR microprocessor that is controlling a latching DPDT relay. The LED indicator on the pedal is also driven by the micro. The soft-touch momentary switches that are shown several posts below were bought for this project.

You can use the pcb to build a new pedal, or retrofit it into a Boss or Ibanez box to give them true bypass.
tonepanic
Just got a Strakal Brulu the other day. This thing has tons of character. Here's a little demo, lots of manual tweaking going on:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/135152140" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="false" /]
haiku-ish
Nice !

and thanks for posting.
modestnikov
Hello! Guys, I think I have problem
I have drive sound only when Input knob and main knob between 3-6 hours. When knobs at another postion (75%) - nothing happens. Range of distortion is very short ((
modestnikov
Is it problem? Or is it normal situation?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqgk3j8zqaddtkj/C0038.mp4?dl=0
haiku-ish
Hi modestnikov !

i think it is pretty normal...
output depends very on what you feed in, and the feedback is touchy too you can have te same setting and the output sounding will be very very different if the input source varies a little in gain...

also , the is a trim on the back, you could check with a multimeter if you have -6V on R1, this biases the transistor and can change a little over time or temperature. this will modify the gain/fuzz/feedback point also and could make the distortion sound grainy or thin

this module is kind of chaotic and even if i matched myself all the transistors every module sounds different from each others
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> TouellSkouarn Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3