MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack & pedal Distortion : Strakal Brulu
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> TouellSkouarn  
Author Eurorack & pedal Distortion : Strakal Brulu
haiku-ish
Soon (Still in production), the Strakal Brulu [Re Greñv Eo edition],
germanium distortion fuzz + feedback and CV control (over the fuzz)
the stratal brulu sound with russian "UFO" transistors tailored for modular levels...

schem soon...

radiodread87
Excellent work thats one of the main things that I wanted on the original.

Will this one have a louder output than its predecessor?
haiku-ish
radiodread87 wrote:

Will this one have a louder output than its predecessor?

yes !
Kent
Yeah! Bring that distorted French lovin' to the fore!
bj_gzp
What about the input levels, are they as well modular level?
That's my issue with the original version, bringing input down to a level where
the fuzz knob still has a function. wink Post amplification is a no brainer with gozinta. If yes then i'll probably do the upgrade smile

cheers,
bj
haiku-ish
bj_gzp wrote:
What about the input levels, are they as well modular level?

yes !
haiku-ish
got the final prototype to work !
no wires... knobs and pots are soldered on the back.

bj_gzp
Nice smile And perfect timing, yesterday i found a buyer for my previous version....
haiku-ish
here is the pedal version (minus the cv input)
Babaluma
fantastic work, and happy to see you know have your own forum here gael! 8_)
haiku-ish
Thanks Babaluma !

here some vids from this afternoon sound test.

with TR808

with Guitar

No input
arfo
Insane!
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Finally! A geranium fuzz in Euro with CV. It only took 35 years........ thumbs up
bj_gzp
Yeah, nice demos! I love the layout with the mega feedback knob smile
thumbs up
sabasan
why not make a small run of I/O for the old owner ?
haiku-ish
Quote:
why not make a small run of I/O for the old owner ?

Hi, i had some requests to do this, you can contact me via pm for working something out if you want.
bj_gzp
Any news regarding the release of the new version?
Since i've seen the video i'm mad about getting one SlayerBadger!
cheers,
björn
haiku-ish
Quote:
Any news regarding the release of the new version?

i will have them in stock about mid/september here in Brest,
so about early october at your favorite store.
Kent
I'll bring one to the modular meeting in the Netherlands.

I just popped this in my case and have been warming and distorting my Buchla. It has quite a large range. That's to say that it isn't running into full-on distortion at all times.

I'll post a demo at some point if possible.
bj_gzp
Thanks for the update Guinness ftw!
aaah September will be an expensive month, plenty of cool toys will be released... Never maintain cash savings again

Kent, you can't stop putting euro stuff into your Buchla? twisted
I'll check that meeting, maybe i can make it, i would love to check the fuzz before September smile

Cheers,
BJ
bj_gzp
Kent, how did the Fuzz fare at the meeting?
And what are you actually running through it? External signals or sounds from within your Buchla?
Cheers,
Björn
haiku-ish
got the first ten for test this evening...
Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana
great chaos instable distortion...

the others will be soldered tomorrow, shipping to distributors after testing in the end of the week It's motherfucking bacon yo Guinness ftw!
Kent
Oh, man... I suck. cry

Way too many things going on. I'll crank out some demos very soon. Sorry about that. Either tonight or tomorrow for certain. It's a really good fuzz for modulars.
bj_gzp
Yes Rockin' Banana! finally
Guinness ftw!
Bjôrn
Kakihara
they will be at Analoguehaven?

g.
haiku-ish
Yes, Shawn is taking some.
Kakihara
yesss!! Merci mec!!
YER'MAD! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
Kent
Finished. Rendering the file. It's a narrated walkthrough and is... way too long... like 25 minutes AFTER editing.

I'll throw it up here, and then crank out some shorter sound files. Killer fuzz, btw.
bj_gzp
Kent wrote:
Finished. Rendering the file. It's a narrated walkthrough and is... way too long... like 25 minutes AFTER editing.

I'll throw it up here, and then crank out some shorter sound files. Killer fuzz, btw.

Yeah, 25 mins that will make us feel the waiting even longer wink
I look forward to your demo! Guinness ftw!
BJ
Kent
There is full annotation on SoundCloud. Feel free to skip around. There are some pretty good moments in there. I like the Saw Animator stuff quite a bit.

In short, this is a quality fuzz unit. Just what I was looking for since it goes from subtle to insanity in a predictable manner. I'll see how it does with the Buchla 200e.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/gen-xtargetmarket/strakalbrulu[/s]

Headphones or quality speakers are fairly necessary for this one, kids. Especially if you check out the low-end theory at 18 minutes.

The first 5 minutes is almost all talking. Skip this if desired.
bj_gzp
Kent wrote:
There is full annotation on SoundCloud. Feel free to skip around. There are some pretty good moments in there. I like the Saw Animator stuff quite a bit.

In short, this is a quality fuzz unit. Just what I was looking for since it goes from subtle to insanity in a predictable manner. I'll see how it does with the Buchla 200e.

Headphones or quality speakers are fairly necessary for this one, kids. Especially if you check out the low-end theory at 18 minutes.

Merci Kent thumbs up Quite complete and useful review. I like the low-end part a lot, and the instability comes in nicely SlayerBadger!.
But i'll use my unit next to the Saw Animator. Did you try passing the same waveform through SA and Fuzz in parallel and mixing the outputs back together?

Cheers,
Björn
Kent
Your wish is fulfilled, dear friend:

[s]http://snd.sc/WVhZ8g[/s]

I'm speaking slowly and clumsily due to monitoring the output of the recording chain. Too much latency.
bj_gzp
Kent, you are da man Guinness ftw!
Personally i find the mix more interesting from a timbral point of view than both in series. The Strakal Brulu seems to be exactly the type of distortion i was hoping for. smile The feedback tuned to accentuate some pitches is It's motherfucking bacon yo
This is what i have the M11's for, mixing of gritty timbres and let specific timbres only pass through at specific moment in the sequence to put some notes in evidence. Sinus -> Saw animator+Fuzz, will become the heart of my mini 6u system...

I hope Gael ships them fast, your demos made me want it even more than before! SlayerBadger!
Cheers,
Bjôrn
aksen
awesome demo Kent, got me wanting one of these now to add some grit...
haiku-ish

twisted
Kent
Thanks, guys.

I've now added this version of the Strakal Brulu to the Squiggletronics Rack Planner Database. It should show up soon. Email me if you can't wait.
haiku-ish
Now shipping to Escape From Noise and Equinoxoz
Rockin' Banana!
haiku-ish
now with guitar, straight into the module...
Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/touellskouarn/squier-into-strakal-brulu-re
haiku-ish
the schematic
haiku-ish
and now for something completely different :

Kent
That's a great fucking box!
haiku-ish
nice demo from Cody

haiku-ish
The pedal and modules can sound very clean...

[s]http://snd.sc/QwT9g1[/s]
bj_gzp
I have my Fuzz now for around a month and do not want to miss it anymore!
It's love! Next to the great sound, what i really appreciate about the new Straka Brulu is it's expressiveness. Few and straight forward controls, that are a lot of fun to "play". The module just Rockin' Banana!

Thanks Gael for bringing this module to the Eurocrack world we're not worthy

Guinness ftw!
björn
haiku-ish
Hey Thanks Björn Guinness ftw!

i love to have feedback IRL too ;-) !
haiku-ish
Ok, pedal final model is this one.
extra expression input + cv in for fuzz control

?-)

Rockin' Banana!

dj_bluefalcon
Loving all these demos in this thread. I may need to try one of these out.
haiku-ish
still have one left...
dj_bluefalcon
Wish I could! There's a problem with my bank account... seriously, i just don't get it
haiku-ish
Schem is public, i can help you to build your own !
broon_777
Many thanks for releasing your schematic - I've been trying to figure out best way of converting some of my old Ge fuzzbox schematics to Eurorack for ages and this is really helping.
Monobass
I knew I would have to own one of these after Os from Expert Sleepers set up his rig next to me at the last Brighton Modular Meet and cranked his Strakal till it squealed.

I've only spent an hour in total with it so far but its fantastic!
I really like the effect you get with a low input, the way it starves.

Also though it has a lovely thickening effect when used with subtlety, it gave my SynthTech e350 some great rasp.
richard
I just got a V2 pedal and I really like it. Thanks for making it. Been lusting for ages!

Is the pedal also okay with modular levels?

What is the safe/effective CV range?

Richard
haiku-ish
i'm glad you like it !

it is ok to use it with modular levels, and cv control less than 10v
the cv response is not very linear so you don't have to feed it full 0-10v for entire range.
richard
thanks

settling in with his new buddies

haiku-ish
nice !
what have you connected into the cv in ?
richard
CV output is going from the Blippoo to the Strakal via a mult

this setup actually creates a strange problem: if the CV input is engaged then the mute switch I have between the Blippoo and Strakal audio path doesn't quite work properly. Even when muted the signal still seems to get through to the Strakal? Never had anything quite like that before. Quite odd. It could be that even a very small amount of leak that somehow gets past the mute switch becomes as loud as the unmuted signal. This only happens when the CV input is used.

Unrelated switch question: the bypass switch on the Strakal is so hard and loud that I'm afraid I simply must replace it with a silent one. I assume a switch is a switch is a switch, but is there any specification I need to know before sourcing a more silent replacement? Or could you even point me to one?
haiku-ish
richard wrote:
Quite odd. It could be that even a very small amount of leak that somehow gets past the mute switch becomes as loud as the unmuted signal. This only happens when the CV input is used.

Yes really Strange... don't know for now how this can happen

richard wrote:
Unrelated switch question: the bypass switch on the Strakal is so hard and loud that I'm afraid I simply must replace it with a silent one. I assume a switch is a switch is a switch, but is there any specification I need to know before sourcing a more silent replacement? Or could you even point me to one?

this is a 3pdt switch wired as true bypass.
richard
thanks it seems I need to keep the input level down to below 5%. Strange because I am inputting line levels not modular.

Sounds insane though, I'm sure it is just a matter of finding the exact setting for my setup thumbs up
richard
Report back: I tracked the leakage and noise problems to a bad moulded cable which was turning everything a bit a microphonic. Changed that cable and Everything is sweet here now. thumbs up
haiku-ish
cool, thanks for the update !
richard
you don't happen to know of a "silent" 3pdt switch do you? This one is really not suiting me
haiku-ish
unfortunately the silent switches i know, are not 3pdt, and use relays or fet for true bypass. But it is possible to change for a silent solution with the expense of an additional circuit.
haiku-ish
here is an exemple

http://www.muzique.com/news/relay-bypass-revised/

Quote:
This is a 1″ x 1″ pc board which holds an AVR microprocessor that is controlling a latching DPDT relay. The LED indicator on the pedal is also driven by the micro. The soft-touch momentary switches that are shown several posts below were bought for this project.

You can use the pcb to build a new pedal, or retrofit it into a Boss or Ibanez box to give them true bypass.
tonepanic
Just got a Strakal Brulu the other day. This thing has tons of character. Here's a little demo, lots of manual tweaking going on:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/135152140" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="false" /]
haiku-ish
Nice !

and thanks for posting.
modestnikov
Hello! Guys, I think I have problem
I have drive sound only when Input knob and main knob between 3-6 hours. When knobs at another postion (75%) - nothing happens. Range of distortion is very short ((
modestnikov
Is it problem? Or is it normal situation?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqgk3j8zqaddtkj/C0038.mp4?dl=0
haiku-ish
Hi modestnikov !

i think it is pretty normal...
output depends very on what you feed in, and the feedback is touchy too you can have te same setting and the output sounding will be very very different if the input source varies a little in gain...

also , the is a trim on the back, you could check with a multimeter if you have -6V on R1, this biases the transistor and can change a little over time or temperature. this will modify the gain/fuzz/feedback point also and could make the distortion sound grainy or thin

this module is kind of chaotic and even if i matched myself all the transistors every module sounds different from each others
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> TouellSkouarn  
Page 1 of 3