MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

dub delay for my eurorack, pedals or modules or what?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author dub delay for my eurorack, pedals or modules or what?
XidZeta
so i am a software guy a couple months into my modular journey (ive performed improv sets on it twice now!) but ive been using ableton to sequence and for all my fx, as well as a bit of soft synth and drum machines. After trying Genome sequencer on Ipad, i think i would like to leave the laptop out of it. But my problem is i dont have any FX at all. My yamaha MW8XC mixer has a basic multi FX send, but that usually stays on reverb.

My main needs are in the delay department. within ableton i use basic delays as well as these amazing tempo synced delay feedback loops with compression, phasers, stereo delays, beat repeats etc.. and i miss that when i dont have the laptop.

i was thinking about getting a boss dd-7, or something similar with tap tempo features, and a phaser, but dont know anything about running delays or feedback loops in the hardware world,

another route would be something like the doepfer bbd module (which i beleive has a built in feedback loop and some kind of sync function?) I feel like saving space in my eurorack for filters or modulation sources might be best (although i still have 100 hp open, i have some hopes for it)

so help this noob out with a dub delay setup that I will be able to set quickly and accurately in a live setting
M. Rishi
Most of the dub artists I've come across use Roland Space Echo units (the originals). Lots and lots of tape delays. Tape delays delaying tape delays.

Of course, these are probably the worst things for you given your needs. Tape delays are fickle things but make up for that in sound.
DruidTek
I have been using a combination of the Moog MF-104Z and the Boss RE-20 live for many years and they have been rock solid!
Tombola
Spent a long time lusting after a real Space Echo, then bought a Strymon El Capistan and am very happy
hank
Don't forget about the bbd delays! Typically cheaper than tape too.
RealDudes
http://www.noiseguide.com/product_info/electrix_mofx
RealDudes
and to get the feedback effects with your mixer:
use an effects send channel, send to your effect unit and rather than going back in the effect return, put it in a normal channel that has a knob to control the effect send level that corresponds to the one plugged into the input
Entrainer
Eurorack...

Why not go inside the Eurorack. Pittsburgh Modular Analog Delay
and Doepfer A-199 Spring Reverb. I imagine the Synth Tech one
is good too. The e580? The purist in me would need to have
something like the Cwejman INS-2MX though for that one since
the wet/dry is post conversion.

Want to get stupid, go crazy...

Harvestman Evin 209 + Stillson Adapter. Rock it in a skiff with
Phonogene and a wavetable oscillator.
lvoemachine
I can second the strymon idea and also check out the electro harmonics memory man with hazarai. The tap tempo, loop function and modulation delay gets great sounds with stereo ins and outs. The stereo in is nice for routing the pedal back into itself so you get really nice feedback when you need it.
Babaluma
roland space echo or korg stage echo
felix le chat
XidZeta wrote:
so help this noob out with a dub delay setup that I will be able to set quickly and accurately in a live setting

Perhaps the Line6 DL-4. It emulates famous delays, including the Echoplex and the Roland Space Echo. It sounds pretty good and it's easy to use.

Or look for the digital delays that are available as synth modules. I remember some of them do emulate famous old delays.

BBD delays sound very different to tape or digital delays. Something to check is how they behave when you change the delay time continuously and there is some feedback.

Flc
darenager
RE20 - the spring reverb emulation is great on snares too for dub sounds.
You can use exp pedal input for CV, you can choose what parameter.
MainDrag Modular
Entrainer wrote:
Eurorack...

Why not go inside the Eurorack. Pittsburgh Modular Analog Delay
and Doepfer A-199 Spring Reverb. I imagine the Synth Tech one
is good too. The e580? The purist in me would need to have
something like the Cwejman INS-2MX though for that one since
the wet/dry is post conversion.

+1

I wasn't really sold on the idea of using rack real estate for FX until trying out the TipTop Z-DSP and recently the Pittsburg. With the exception of the MF104 (RIP), having independent CV control over rate + feedback + mix (and more with the DSP) opens quite a few doors!

Just FYI on the Pittsburg - there is a trimpot that adjusts up to 2 seconds from the stock 9/10th (if you are going dub).

Such a huge selection of delay pedals out right now - the Strymon El Capistan is great for tape emulation as mentioned - had a lot of fun working a Echolution into a sequence the other day.

Danny
stk
Space Echos are too expensive these days, not worth the money they typically sell for.

Try older BBD devices (Boss, Roland, Yamaha), Strymon El Cap, Line6 delays. Oh, and Jomox T-resonator, dub delay from hell.
Joe.
+1 for the Re-20.
bodo
Recently sold my beloved RE-201, I have a RE-20, which soundwise comes pretty close actually. The spring reverb sounds nothing like the original, though.

Both the Pitts Delay & the A-199 get lots of use here, really nice to add some dub feeling to your sounds.

The T-Resonator is indeed a beast, it can get pretty out of control (wouldn't dare to use it live) but is very tweakable and sounds good.
bodo
Double post, sorry seriously, i just don't get it
XidZeta
picked up the RE-20, sounds awesome, perfect all in one dub unit for the send/return circuit on my mixer. might want to pick up another delay for the standard delay effect still tho...
50quidsoundboy
another vote for the BossRE-20 pedal. i know a guy who has an RE-20 and an vintage Space Echo and he reckons the Boss pedal is practically indistinguishable. i've got nothing to compare it to but i certainly love mine.
matttech
so what kind of CVs are folk sending into the RE-20? 0v to 5v?

i'm presuming it won't like bipolar ones......it also warns in the manual that using the wrong type of expression pedal could damage the unit, which makes me a little wary of sending modular CVs into it

any specifics?
CF3
hank wrote:
Don't forget about the bbd delays! Typically cheaper than tape too.

EH Deluxe Memory Man (the older one) hyper
zvukoprocessor
I had great results with Korg Monotron Delay. it runs on batteries only and its noisy eh, very noisy but its very cheep.
zdarma
I really like the bugbrand PTDelay and the T-Resonator.
defalut
Bump for 2018, didn´t want to start a new thread.

What delay modules are available that won´t make me homeless nowadays?

I would like a delay with send/return for a feedback loop to modulate it a bit more, would be nice to use my Morpheus and filter sequences on the echoes.. smile

I know of the ultra-expensive Rainmaker of course, 4ms DLD and Chronoblob 2 (still a bit too expensive).
I have Pittsburgh Analog Replicator and it´s decent but no fb loop available.

Options?

I can get a RE-20 used for a decent price, around €120-125, and it´s tempting but i would have to do some hacking to get it where i want, mod it to get CV sync and so on..
Agawell
I'd spend money on utilities and not on a delay if the only thing you don't like about your current delay is that it's not got a feedback loop

BECAUSE you can just patch the feedback loop:

send the original signal into the delay via a mixer and mult the output of the delay into the mixer - dial in the required feedback with the mixer... if you used something like veils (or any other cvable mixer) then you could cv control the feedback

it's really a good idea to look at what you can do by patching basic modules

need a side-chain compressor? got a vca and an inverter and you got it!!!

main signal into vca, side chain into inverter, inverted signal into cv in of vca

but even better - when you don't want to use the compressor you have a vca and an inverter you can use - rather than a compressor just sitting there
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2