MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Check out what I just bought... a thread for gear hoarders
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Check out what I just bought... a thread for gear hoarders
bitSmasher
Not only is this about showing off the latest toy to add to your collection, it's also to share ideas and inspire each other.
I know this forum is primarily about modular video units but I'd like discuss external devices, especially ones repurposed to suit our usage...

Here we go - I love collecting old video gear mainly from the 90s, consumer-level hardware is limited but interesting to learn on. Soon enough I'll step up to a proper modular system, until then it's junk time!
I've been without studio space for 9 months but about to move in to a warehouse and get set up again. This month I've splurged, check out what I've scored:

The seller listed Videonics "video equaliser" and I happened to ask if he had anything more. Only paid $10 per unit! The Panasonic controller is a bit useless but I'm glad I scored the Sony colouriser. Oh and a degauser was included too, excellent.

A few days later, one seller had the Sansui "mixer" as well as the two Sony units listed. The camera + editor were intended for adding titles and art to home videos - point the monochrome camera at your art and key it over the video... clunky, but plenty of creative possibilities.
Mini TVs are something I'll start collecting soon, this doesn't have A/V in which will be fun to work around, a cheap RF Modulator should do the job.

Went to Salvos (thrift store) for a browse and came out of there with a VHS camera and kaleidoscope kit. Plus the tartan suitcase, woah... awesome... will be the housing for my next portable sound system 8_)

Bargain hunting in Australia isn't as easy as elsewhere, not much around so I'm always searching.
What interesting things have you come accross lately?
Matos
Some sweet finds. My studio is my bedroom, and half the time I end up sleeping with equipment of some sort in my bed. When editing my last piece, I slept with my MacBook, and a large Wacom for a week. No more buying for a while. woah
bitSmasher
Ahaha yes, those pics are taken on my bed as it's the only flat surface that isn't covered in clutter!

My life is currently stored in an elaborate and precarious stack of boxes:

simulcast
Hey hey, I've got the Video EQ too - fun. I'll have to dig it out and play some more. Latest scores for me include a mx-12 that appears to be broken :(
But also picked up 2 old school handheld gaming units that actually project the game you're playing on a wall...uses a old style torch light bulb through plastic!
I'm in Australia too - Brisbane. Not always easy to find good scores!
giorgio
i just scored 8 of the smallest TBC/frame syncronizers I have been able to find. so nerdy but I am pretty pumped about this. I'll probably keep half of em, my buddy is gonna take 2, and I'll probably let 2 more go. gotta get test em all first make sure they work. gonna pick up some cheap old video gear now that I can actually hook all kinds of crazy shit up to it now smile

robot909
That might be a tube video camera, I scored on one a while back. You get the coolest looking "trails" from bright spots and the picture has a cool look to it. Not like typical video nor film.

Here is a pic of it doing some tests for a music video, had to bring a 110volt generator to power the fucker and another video camera to record the signal.

Finished video ended up using a bit of the footage.

daverj
Cool stuff everybody.

Yes, that HVM-100CE camera is a 2/3 inch vidicon camera. Creates cool smears and image lag. Especially at low light or with bright highlights.

But be careful. Vidicons "burn". Any bright light that is left at the same spot in the image too long will become permanent in the image. Even if the camera is turned off. If you point it at the sun, forget it. The sun will be in every image you take after that. Even a bright light in the room can cause permanent damage.

When not using the camera be sure the lens cap is on or the lens is shut completely. Many of the Sony lenses can go past the smallest aperture and completely close the lens. (often marked with a "C" just past the highest aperture number on the lens).
giorgio
btw bitsmasher I love all that old video junk, I use a whole bunch with my LZX rig, and have only used the "junk" so far for performances, with clips from the LZX loaded onto my ipods of course smile
robot909
Good to know about the vidcons burning! At the time of the photo I had a ND9 filter in front of it and the aperture still had to be small.
Now the cam is in storage but can't wait to use it again, probably for some experimental project.
snufkin

I have a serous problem guys this is not even half of my gear eek!
simulcast
Is that a Chromoscope? Nice one. I'm just reorganizing my studio ATM, will post a pic soonish.
snufkin
Yes it is indeed a Chromoscope

it's fun but slightly limited kind of like the mini moog of video synths common good at what it does but very limited it does have a nice analogue video mixer built in the which feeds back in a very different way to my Panasonic's ect
revmutt
snufkin wrote:

it's fun but slightly limited kind of like the mini moog of video synths common good at what it does but very limited it does have a nice analogue video mixer built in the which feeds back in a very different way to my Panasonic's ect

As someone who uses both a modular Moog and a mini, I would love to find a working Chromoscope and use it with the LZX. As you point out, sometimes things have unique aspects to them despite limitations.
snufkin
revmutt wrote:
snufkin wrote:

As someone who uses both a modular Moog and a mini, I would love to find a working Chromoscope and use it with the LZX. As you point out, sometimes things have unique aspects to them despite limitations.

I wouldn't look to hard I agree with what your saying but the LZX can ape what it does and much more, I would love to patch it out but I am too scared to mod it, I missed out on a chromascope months ago that went for about £30 with a pile of other gear pick up only in Germany on evil bay :( If I hand two I would be less precious about it

here is a very early vid I made of what it
can do before I really got in to video

and some feedback through it
andrewF
I picked up a Videonics "video equaliser" recently off the side of the road, still in its box with the price tag.
Our suburb had a 'bring out your dead' rubbish pick-up. I went for a good scavenge, found nothing until I looked in the last pile across the road from my house Mr. Green Score!

The 'paint' function is fantastic, really good device.
johnnywoods
yes! the video equalizer was one of the first bits of video hardware I ever purchased. one of my favorite texture machines. and a built in da!
barto
a few of these no longer work. really bummed about the little black panasonic vtr that was perfect for me. portable, can record, has svideo, bnc and stereo in/outs. one of the big broadcast ones plays tapes but is very distorted. my be fun to play with though. theres an extron scan converter in there that i have yet to try. also a really small security vcr but only accepts blank tapes (or if you tape over that hole on regular tapes) too inconvenient. theres a quad multiplexer in there but its b/w so im going to get rid of it. also a 4 channel source selector - a good way to beef up an older video mixer with only 2 inputs
MrDys

The library where I work was liquidating some of their AV gear. 3 Panasonic color monitors and a VCR for $40.

I'll use 'em for something, eventually.
crochambeau
Oh no, the hoarder thread! I will try and be reasonable with bandwidth here.

Yardsale find just up my street. Hasn't been used in many, many years. At this point I've got to contend with and obvious component failure (capacitor) and negate the cat urine smell before I can determine if it even works.

Heavy. 70 pounds, and big (doorway in background). Input block has potential, composite & RGB plus VD & HD sync.
ju4n
Nice! I had one of these for a while. Even gigged with it as ridiculous as that sounds.

You could get really dreamy prismatic effects because you could skew alignment and warp for R, G, and B seperately.

Good luck getting it up and functioning.
Arturo00
Just scored one of these biatches for zero dollars and zero cents! It's a Tandberg Camera Unit IV, Wave II Video conferencing camera.

Gotta admit though, the video quality is atrocious. However, the auto focus is pretty darn good. Now, if only I can figure out how to control the pan and tilt! There is a remote, but I'm not sure if it needs to be hooked up to a Tandberg codec for it to work. There's also a Cat5 control input. Would be cool to find out how to control it that way.

Any ideas?

barto
awesome! id love to find some remote controlled PTZ cams for cheap
daverj
You'll have to do some digging, but I think what you need is a cable that goes from an RS-232 serial port to those RJ-45 connectors. Then some software to send the commands, which are probably the Sony VISCA format.

But I'm just guessing. You need to do some research.
Arturo00
You're right. I believe it is the Sony Visca format. Getting the cables shouldn't be a problem, it's more getting the controller. I'd need some sort of push button panel with dedicated controller (Crestron, AMX, etc), and then I'd need to program it. Probably not going to happen unless I can find a dedicated camera controller for surveillance systems.

There is a chance that the remote will work directly, but I gotta track the right one down first.

If worse comes to worse, the autofocus is pretty good and I could just put it near me and pan it manually. But no tilt.
Arturo00
Scored another one!!!

This one for sure can be controlled with the remote. I just need to track one down.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2