Should I?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Should I?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:08 pm

I was offered a totally loaded, brand new Buchla 200e in exchange for my entire modular system.

What do you think I should do?

(ps. I already have made up my mind - I'll tell you my decision later :shock: just want to hear what you guys think)

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:13 pm

NO! :shock:

Although I don't think you would be able to afford a Buchla(or maybe you would) so the value would definitly mean that you would come out ahead.

But do you really want to be without all the options you Frac towers give you?
Of course you could start over again, But the workflow is completly different,
isn't it???

It would have to be a different workflow, just observing the layout of a buchla system.

I would love to have one(like everything) but not over your Frac tower.

Plus I would be really sad to see the Time Machines go bye bye after trying to get one :lol: :wink:

Although TM's have come up when I DIDN'T have the money :cry:

I don't know man, even though the Buchla costs more and I have no experience with one(but would love to) I don't think its a good trade..
But Im still in my infancy with my synthland stuff.

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:24 pm

Whoa, what a fucking choice!

I honestly don't think I could make the same choice...it would be too hard. Really interested to hear what yours was/is.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Man.....That would suck to have to pack up all the Frac stuff and mail it....Unless the buyer could come and pick it up...

Rough sketch here, something like 10 racks with around 5 modules each at an average of $300 a piece....(some modules of course more)
Thats atleast $15k in Frac stuff(and some of it is out of production and hard to find/replace like the Darkstar,TM,etc)
The Buchla is what, $20-30K?

Maybe from the business standpoint you could sell it and then replace the Frac stuff and order all the Wiard stuff at once, but man what a pain in the ass....

I would be really surprised if you sold the Frac towers and got the Buchla system.
I can maybe see you doing it if you were able to hold onto the Wiard, out of production Blacet modules, and a few others but I can't imagine you getting rid of everything Frac related.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 pm

it's currently 16 racks/94 modules of frac btw

but there's no way my average module price paid is nearly $300. I would say it is hovering around $200 or slightly below
Last edited by Muff Wiggler on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:35 pm

Dang-- I'd be tempted to be sure... The 200e is perhaps the best-looking piece of music gear in history. Still... If it were one or the other, I'd go with your frac towers. I just suspect that there's more capability in them than in the buchla (just from the samples I've heard).

Still... tough choice. I'd be really tempted at the possibility to turn over a new creative leaf thanks to the new piece of hardware. All in all, though... I'd stick with the Frac.
Just my feeling-- either way you'll have quite the amazing setup!

Squibbons
Common Wiggler

Post by Squibbons » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:41 pm

That'd be a really hard choice for me too. I dunno though, I might would lean towards the 200e myself. I love learning new things, and that system is something I don't I'll ever get a chance to own. It's like the Ferrari of modular synths. You could build up the Frac system again over time if needed.

On the other hand though, you do have a beast of a Frac system with so much planning put into exactly what you want. That's one heck of a choice. Hrmm. I don't think you could go wrong either way. But damn, that's an awesome offer.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:48 pm

I don't think I'd do it. The Buchla is crazy capable, but it's also from Mars when it comes to a UI and workflow perspective.

Put it this way. I have watched a very competent synthesist, who owned a 200e for more than 6 months, helplessly frobbing one knob after another trying to alter a patch. NOT "reaching for that one knob there, with the clearly defined function, and turning it carefully to adjust a known parameter." Nope, pretty much the complete opposite of that. And from the number of patch cables, that wasn't even for a very complicated patch.

The 200e frightens me. I think you'll be *much* happier adding a few Wiard 300 to your monster Frac system. Get yourself a Wogglebug (Source of Uncertainty 256) and a dual Borg II (Low Pass Gates), patch up some linear FM oscillators or a Miniwave, and you're 90% to the "Buchla sound".

IMHO.

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:49 pm

I think it depends what you want out of it. A 200e system will retain its value more in say 40 years, given that it's a Buchla, it's cost prohibitive now so generally rare, and it's a uniform system.

But your modular has become your baby in the past to years, owning the Buchla likely wouldn't offer the same sense of joy from building.

Me personally, I'd go for the Buchla, but then it generally appeals to me more than a massive multi-manufacturer modular, in large part because the aesthetics of it. As we spoke about earlier, I make fair amount of music, too, so it strikes me that the 200e would be more conducive to that and less about tinkering. I'm not much of a tinkerer really.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:55 pm

buchla!

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 pm

If you get the Buchla, you'll have to get used to me crashing on your couch while I explore it, just take that into account.
:wink:

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:13 pm

Im not 100% sure what your goals or interest in your modular is, but I'd say you probably built your epic frac setup for a reason. its not like you could just buy a prophet 08 and serious sequencer and do what your frac modular does, or meet those needs.

If we're just talking about instruments and workflow, I too would suggest sticking to the frac, and maybe expanding into wiard or even plan b and phoning in some buchla. You could even DIY a wogglebug that would work in your frac rig. hell, get some max/msp interfacing with your modular, and I bet you could be near buchla country in no time.

also, while it is likely a buchla will retain its value based on history.. but never underestimate the potential for digital to pwn all of this in 40 years. maybe the 200e will still be a collector's item/artifact and worth the cash nonetheless though

then again, it is a buchla!!

very curious how this turns out!!

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:36 pm

depends on what modules are in the buchla--im not sure what totally loaded means... but if it means a fully loaded 18 WLS-cabinet, i would have to say: thats a mighty tempting offer. you would certainly be in for a new learning curve. i think the decision depends on what you do with your blacet (or dont do).

i suspect you turned down the offer anyway. workflow is a very personal thing. at some point, the perceived value of two large modulars really doesnt matter anymore, but only what you can/like to do with it.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:17 am

hmmm. tough decision. you seem to have had a very definite plan about how your modular has grown and the blacet core seems the important part. getting a buchla would certainly be a challenge and would perhaps lead you in different musical directions. i think if you'd regret in any way getting rid of the blacet don't do it - i guess you've decided not to. the buchla stuff is still in production if you really feel the urge to buy some, some of the frac modules you have would be a real pita to get again.
thinking more - if it was just about the cash, or i was starting from scratch and had the choice of one or the other of the two systems, i think i'd go with the buchla - fortunately i have no cash and it's not my decision!
Last edited by sandyb on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:18 am

i'm listening to some Buchla 200e atm, it's very pretty/organic...you could always build up another Frac system over time...

but i hate moving shit around, and repairs? screw that...

you're on your own here, i have no clue...

here's the bit i'm listening to

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:23 pm

WTF?!?!?!?

what did you decide? c'mon dude!!!

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:38 pm

i'll give you the answer tomorrow.....

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:46 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:i'll give you the answer tomorrow.....

sigh...

i need to get of the interweb....

tiny333
SONIC WARRIOR

Post by tiny333 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:14 pm

:x

i bet you turned the offer down

i think your nuts :cry:

i would swap in a heartbeat.....just for the lights and seq...

blimey

SWAP!!

chance of a lifetime

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:16 pm

ok ok

for reasons as listed above and other, you guys pretty much all guessed it - I'm not taking it

i'm glad I made this thread - some interesting thoughts and ideas i hadn't thought about. really appreciate it guys, thanks

but yeah, i'm keeping the frac. there's a lot of reasons why. .i'm super short on time at the moment but i'll post tomorrow and give my reasoning

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:50 pm

WTF??!!?? :x :x post your reasoning :x :x :evil: :evil: ??!!!!

just kidding. i woulda kept the frac.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Kwote wrote:WTF??!!?? :x :x post your reasoning :x :x :evil: :evil: ??!!!!

just kidding. i woulda kept the frac.
:lol:

i started checking out the Buchla and it seemed very, very cool...then i realized it really doesn't matter what i think, and i need to get a life...

two more days 'till i get my VCO 2RM :)

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:10 pm

this seems like a good moment to post:

someone found a music box in a dumpster, and goes on to make the absolute most off the wall semi-acid I've ever heard. gets juicy around 2 minutes

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”