A couple of general Wiard questions.

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, grantrichter, carygrace

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

A couple of general Wiard questions.

Post by laserpalace » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 pm

I'm starting the process of acquiring a couple 300 Series modules. Waveform City and a Dual Borg! I'm wondering if there are any general do's and dont's regarding the format?

Are there any issues using TipTop stackables? Do you guys have a preferred PSU method? Cary recommended Hinton, which looks incredible but the price is a bit high in the US. I'm looking at the Blacet PS505, would I need any additional things like the PSCONN2? Planning a 7 panel system overall.

I'm coming from a Euro format perspective. I know they are fairly similar, I'm just eager to jump in! I've been reading the Wiard forum for months now, along with the manuals. Just looking for any general info here. Thanks in advance!

:wiard:

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:45 am

tiptop stacking cables are fine - use them with my 300 series modules all the time.
power - i've got one blacet supply and one bog standard power one type supply. distribution is handled by blacet psconn2 boards. although the built in connectors on the blacet ps would do the job fine as well.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:28 am

hi, I also use the Blacet PSU, partly because this was before Graham was working his magic.

I'd suggest trying to run 7 series 300 modules off one PSU would be too much - not sure if you meant that. When Wiard were recommending the Blacet PSU's I think the max recommended was 6 modules. I've now cut back on that further and have 13 modules distributed over 3 PSUs.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:02 am

Hinton PSU is properly earthed, which is better for safety and for audio reasons that I can't explain myself.

If you use the 1.5 Amps that it will provide without breaking a sweat the value is not a problem.

You might notice a difference in sound quality as well. Analogue devices like good clean strong power.

Hinton PSU will have greater longevity due to proper heat transfer and putting the transformer onto a metal plate rather than onto a PCB.

Buy some of Blacet's modules though to go with your 300 system. Super VCA, mixer processor, Binary Zone. All essential for me.

wavehead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wavehead » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:24 pm

The Hinton PSU probably does make a big difference, but it seems like it would make a bigger difference in euro where the whole distribution/power system is idiotic in the first place. The 300s have shielding, star distro etc.

Would a Power One really be worse than the Blacet PSU? I know the Blacet one is supposed to be pretty nice, but the 3.4a Power One I bought for 30 bucks is working really nicely for me and before I had a terrible PSU so I know the difference.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 pm

btw Grant recommends reserving 100mA of power per 300 module.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:53 pm

wavehead wrote:..
Would a Power One really be worse than the Blacet PSU? I know the Blacet one is supposed to be pretty nice, but the 3.4a Power One I bought for 30 bucks is working really nicely for me and before I had a terrible PSU so I know the difference.
no worse at all.

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for the info, exactly what I'm after!

Return to “Wiard”