MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

punk/crust
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author punk/crust
vmgas
are folks here into crust and punk of that nature?
amebix..antisect..noothgrush..dystopia..rudimentary peni..his hero is gone.. nausea..destroy..mitb etc
mmelnick
YES! I am.

Antisect plays here Sunday. I think i'm going after rehearsal. Deviated Instinct just played and I missed it cause I couldnt get a baby sitter!

The bands you mentioned...
Amebix - Roy from Nausea plays drums. A friend of mine
Noothgrush - played with them in Cali a few times - good dudes
Dystopia - played with them in Cali and here in NYC - good dudes
His Hero is Gone - Not really too crusty, but decent band. We played with them in their home town - kinda dicks but good band
Nausea - NYC band, good dudes, Roy was in Nausea. We used to cover fallout. My singer roadied for them.
Destroy - played with them early 90's I forgot where. I think either ABC NO RIO or C Squat
MITB - played with them in cali and NYC - good dudes. Eric Wood is a bro, in Bastard Noise now. Kenyon is a good dude too

I'm all into the crust!

Check out my old band here
http://disassociate.com/opentape/
and our last record, if you're interested
http://disassociate.com/disassociate_imperfect_world/

Let talk about crust
Fnord
mmelnick, did you by any chance ever live in a warehouse in bushwick with a coffee machine that had a nametag that said "MY NAME IS GOD?" and 2 pitbulls that lived on a steady diet of protein shakes? I believe we've met before.
Fnord
The larger dog was named Blue, and you had a roommate bill of billisdrunk.com fame. It's ok, I was drunk a lot back then too.
vmgas
i snuck into deathfest this year to see Noothgrush w/dino from Dystopia doing vocals
was pretty sick

synth crust lifestyle

i only recently started to listen to his hero is gone..i used to really dislike that band for some reason..maybe the awful name or awful people i knew that were into them but i can enjoy them now as a good heavy punk band

i couple years ago i saw bastard noise doing the mitb thing and it was awful, oh well.

also crusties w/flux of pink indian patches will forever confound me..though i also recently saw this oogle kid flying a sign and wearing a merzbow backpatch so who knows
e-grad
Since punk was the music of my adolescent years I call a kind of dementia but, yes, I re-developed a big interest in late 70s and early 80s punk. On my birthday I was spinning punk for at least 6h at a bar near my home!

Rudimentary Peni, Chelsea, Lurkers, UK Subs, Slaughter and the Dogs, Razzia...

This is kind of strange bcs other then that I'm intersted in 20th-century classical music only. That is beside my collection of popular African music.
Babaluma
i love crass and rudimentary peni, went to an amazing exhibition of nick blinko's artwork in chichester last summer. never knew it was called "crust" though, what a disgusting genre name! was always just punk (or maybe anarcho punk) to me. "crusties" i get (late 80's early 90's uk traveller/festival scene), "crust" not. wink
vmgas
cacophony from peni is incredible
for me its one of the greatest and most bizarre records ever made
e-grad
By now Nick Blinko has published a few books though I've never seen any of them.

I was happy to get 'The EPs of Rudimentary Peni" and the first Razzia album 'Tag ohne Schatten' (1983) as birthday present for my girl friend. She digs both bands very much.

For some reason Razzia perform live their almost 30 years old songs on rare occassions. No time for proper reharsals, health issues and the voice is no longer the same but then it's fun.
mmelnick
Fnord wrote:
The larger dog was named Blue, and you had a roommate bill of billisdrunk.com fame. It's ok, I was drunk a lot back then too.

That's me! Were you friends of Bill, or in a band? How did you happen to come to the loft?
That's hilarious. Howdy!
amsonx
Babaluma wrote:
i love crass and rudimentary peni, went to an amazing exhibition of nick blinko's artwork in chichester last summer. never knew it was called "crust" though, what a disgusting genre name! was always just punk (or maybe anarcho punk) to me. "crusties" i get (late 80's early 90's uk traveller/festival scene), "crust" not. wink

me too are a great fan of Crass and Rudimentary peni, another really great group was the Flux of Pink Indians.
e-grad
amsonx wrote:
me too are a great fan of Crass and Rudimentary peni, another really great group was the Flux of Pink Indians.

Rudimentary Peni are absloutely outstanding. 'Peniy Envy' by Crass is a classic. Especially 'What's next Columbus' even though I think the lyrics ridiculous to some extent.

I'm not very familiar with Flux but I've got a live EP by their predecessors The Epileptics called 'Last Bus to Debden'.

Right now I'm listening 'The Album' by Eater.
Fnord
mmelnick wrote:
Fnord wrote:

That's me! Were you friends of Bill, or in a band? How did you happen to come to the loft?
That's hilarious. Howdy!

I was the long haired drunk kid from Jersey (who bill made fun of for being from jersey) who was friends with Tara. I mighta helped transport building supplies to gazeebo 2 from home depot in the back of my truck.
James Mandible
Crust is the only form of 'real' punk that I actually like. Probably due to the crossover with post punk and metal. Big fan of Amebix and Rudimentary Peni, although I don't know much of the more obscure stuff. I know Blinko's books are supposed to be pretty good, but they're so hard to get ahold of/expensive when you can find them that I've never bothered, I know at least a few of them have come out via David Tibet's label.
Babaluma
i think nick blinko's "primal screamer" came out ages ago, is out of print, and now fetches ridiculous prices on the second hand market. i think all the art books (maybe two?) have come out on tibet's durtro imprint. they are expensive but all nice hard cover art books produced to an extremely high standard are expensive. they are very limited (although still available) and will only appreciate in value. i nearly bought one at the chichester exhibition (pallant house gallery) last summer, but didn't.

the originals were amazing, all the classic RP album covers etc. some of the text and drawings were so small they provided you with a magnifying glass to view/read them. stunning stuff.

he also designed the inner artwork for coil's "Unnatural History III" album.
oldenjon
The only bands I continue to enjoy from those days are Crass and Rudimentary Peni. I have a copy of Primal Screamer in good condition if someone wants it.
smetak
Bought Crass' classic "Christ the Album" when it came out a thousand years ago (needless to say, it has long disappeared, probably on "loan" to a long-forgotten friend....) - remember that the bizarre box and the "in your face" anarcho-punk attitude really had me going at the grand age of 13....

Out of nostalgia for Penny Rimbaud et al, recently got this:

http://www.pmpress.org/content/article.php?story=GeorgeBerger

Still sitting on the shelf, but seems to be a good read.
Babaluma
i have "christ, the album" box on vinyl, very cool, especially the poster and anarchist texts, including this amazing one from jean-paul marat:

Quote:
“Don’t be deceived when they tell you things are better now. Even if there’s no poverty to be seen because the poverty’s been hidden. Even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which industries foist on you and even if it seems to you that you never had so much, that is only the slogan of those who still have much more than you. Don’t be taken in when they paternally pat you on the shoulder and say that there’s no inequality worth speaking of and no more reason to fight because if you believe them they will be completely in charge in their marble homes and granite banks from which they rob the people of the world under the pretence of bringing them culture. Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they’ll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces.”
― Jean-Paul Marat

written in the 1700's around the time of the french revolution. i taught that to my high school class one year too (16 year olds). they certainly had a lot of questions!

great recentish video interview with Penny here too:

http://www.vice.com/soft-focus/penny-rimbaud
greydominion
Rudimentary Peni are one of my favorites. Just got back from the Chaos in Tejas festival seeing the likes of The Mob, Antisect, along with some awesome Japanese bands like Skizophrenia and Zyanose.
smetak
Man,

If I had a prof that recited Marat to me at 16, I certainly wouldn't be where I am today!

There's a rather long interview with him on youtube - don't know if its the same one you sent below (at work right now and blocked by websense). You got to give a hand to someone like Penny - still going strong on his ideals after all these years. Quite impressive.

On the records, I still kick myself in the head for letting that album go! Darn!
revmutt
Rudimentary Peni are one of my favorite bands of all time.

I found them looking for local stuff on a trip to London in 1982 and the guy in the shop dropped the needle onto side 2 of the first EP, Teenage Time Killers and I was sold.

One can claim whatever category they want but my understanding is that Blinko's main inspiration was the Pistols. The politics often come from Grant the bass player, who often writes the lyrics.
vmgas
latfo.com
oldenjon
vmgas wrote:
latfo.com

Ha! The bearded kid in that first picture is from my hometown.
Small world it is
vmgas
there is a hell bastard - ripper crust patch in my kitchen right now
thetwlo
Crass, Conflict and Flux of Pink Indians, if that counts?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2