doepfer matrix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

sandyb

doepfer matrix

Post by sandyb » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:39 am

dieter doepfer posted this to the a100 yahoo group - sounds cool! there's been a thread on replicating a synthi/AKS with modules which has got my brain whirring (not a good thing)

"I just wanted to inform you that we are working on a 8x8 matrix made with 3.5 mm jack sockets. The reason is that we found a manufacturer that produces a horizontal version of the 3.5 mm sockets at a much better price compared to the vertical Cliff sockets used so far. Some of you may have noticed these sockets in new modules (e.g. the Manual Gate A-164-1, Switched Multiples A-182-1, A-186-1 Gate/Trigger combiner and the new version ofA-180 Multiples I). With these sockets it should be possible to built a 8x8 matrix at affordable costs. We are still looking for a manufacturer of shortening 3.5 mm jack plugs (or with diodes or resistors).

I hope the matrix will be in the Euro 100-120 range but I still have to wait
for the quotations of our front panel manufacturer and our assembly company.

Best wishes
Dieter Doepfer"

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Saw the prototype of this at Musikmessa last week

Nice and tidy little unit, not sure if it will be capable of having diode and resistive plugs though.

DS

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Yeah this does look really interesting!
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:33 pm

a100user wrote:Saw the prototype of this at Musikmessa last week

Nice and tidy little unit, not sure if it will be capable of having diode and resistive plugs though.

DS
i'm being ignorant here but what difference does it make to operation of the matrix having the different kinds of plugs?

sandy

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:29 am

Hi Sandy

I'm not 100% sure about this but..............

It goes back to designs like the VCS3. The matrix boards are essentially two layers of contacts, one for the horizontal and another for the vertical.

If you have a pin with a resistor between contacts you effectivly attenuate the signal slightly, a diode has a different effect.

It could also be possible to have LED's on the end of plugs to act as a current drain, as well as look pretty.

The way that Doepfer have designed theirs I believe is just as a simple patch matrix, which will be useful for minimising cables for me.

David

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:16 pm

a100user wrote:Hi Sandy

I'm not 100% sure about this but..............

It goes back to designs like the VCS3. The matrix boards are essentially two layers of contacts, one for the horizontal and another for the vertical.

If you have a pin with a resistor between contacts you effectivly attenuate the signal slightly, a diode has a different effect.

It could also be possible to have LED's on the end of plugs to act as a current drain, as well as look pretty.

The way that Doepfer have designed theirs I believe is just as a simple patch matrix, which will be useful for minimising cables for me.

David
thanks,

i figured it was something like that. i guess a diode simply connects without attenuating - i think they allow current flow in one direction only. anyway may not matter as looks like the matrix from doepfer may not definitely be going ahead according to the yahoo group

sandy

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:33 am

Hi Sandy,

It looks that way. Which means that the Stekbox will be the only commercial alternative

David

Return to “Eurorack Modules”