MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ANOTHER Wiard user
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author ANOTHER Wiard user
laserpalace
I just swapped my Euro for 2 300 Series panels, The Dual Borg & Waveform City! Should be here on Friday w00t

After reading through Grant's philosophy, manuals, and patch sheets I realized that the 300 series is everything I've been looking for in a synthesizer or any instrument. It's been a long time coming, nearly 10+ years to get my current setup, 4 of which have been in the modular realm. I'm hoping to contribute to the Wiard community with ideas for patches, demo's etc. in the coming weeks. My plan is to have a 7 panel system when all is said and done.

That being said I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Triggering/Syncing Roland TR machines with the 300 series. I currently have an 808 that I will be using. The trigger outs are 15 Volts / 20 Millisecond Pulses, I'm assuming no harm will come from triggering the envelopes or filters on the aforementioned modules. Never had an issue with my Euro, but I typically ran the triggers through attenuators before hitting the envelopes.
slow_riot
There is a note in the Wiard Yahoo group archives about the 300 series being TTL compatible which I believe makes use with Roland Drum machines possible.

15v is higher than anything else in the system, so it might be worth getting an official yes or no from Cary or Grant.

I also recently found out about Mark Verbos doing some work with Grant, and in an interview on Waveform City mentioned that he helped Grant to make the 300 series more techno friendly.
laserpalace
slow_riot
Thanks. I've been going through the archives over the past week or so, i'll do a search. Thanks for the heads up on the Verbos interview. Listening to it now!
laserpalace
From the Yahoo forum via Grant:

Quote:
The "Attack-Release" generator on the Classic VCO and Waveform City is a hybrid of an envelope follower and an envelope generator. If a gate is just a step function, 0 to 10 volts and back to 0 again. Then by slew rate processing that signal, it will naturally make an attack release envelope.

To make an envelope follower, you need something to remove the negative portions of the analog audio, otherwise that average of the + and - is zero.

The Gate input has a current limiting resistor and a 10 volt zener diode at the input. When processing a normal 10 volte gate, the device is not even activated.

When processing audio, it removes the negative portions of the audio signal, in what is called "have wave" rectification. Not an ideal envelope follower, but a usable one essentially for free.

In you case of a 15 volt gate signal, it will "chop off" (limit) the signal to 10 volts, and the output envelope will be 10 volts, just what you want. There should be no problem using the 15 volt gate signal, it will be converted safely to a 10 volt envelope.
Babaluma
can anyone post a link to that interview?

if i get into modular again it'll be serge or wiard. probably wiard now that they are being made in the EU!
laserpalace
Babaluma
http://waveformcity.blogspot.com/2012/02/waveform-city-episode-04-mark -verbos.html
Babaluma
thanks dude!
chamomileshark
welcome aboard smile
Roycie Roller
laserpalace wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Triggering/Syncing Roland TR machines with the 300 series. I currently have an 808 that I will be using. The trigger outs are 15 Volts / 20 Millisecond Pulses, I'm assuming no harm will come from triggering the envelopes or filters on the aforementioned modules. Never had an issue with my Euro, but I typically ran the triggers through attenuators before hitting the envelopes.

I think you'll be right. I once asked Grant about plugging the 300 into an amplifier & he warned that the Mixolator can go 20v peak-to-peak and will easily damage a guitar amplifier. He went on to describe how the Mixolator could also be used as a kind of telephone exchange and that with the right listening equipment, it was possible hear a coversation over several hundred metres of cable MY ASS IS BLEEDING

So i think the Envelator should be able to deal with that kind of range, although is 20vpp the same as -10 volts through to +10 volts? hmmm.....

Not not the same thing of course, but i used to sequence my 300 with an MC-202. The 2 cv outputs of the 202 allows you to make duophonic melodies. I normally ran them into the 1v/oct inputs of the 300 VCo and the Waveform City & then cross-synched both VCO's via the Mixolator, which i used to 'tune' the melodies. Then you also can make sub-melodies form there with the x1, x2, and y outputs, so things can get pretty complex and interesting. If you have a 202, try it- i thought it was great with the 300, especially at slower bpm's (which means there's lots of room to use cv's for effects, in-between steps)..

Wiard Doctorin' the Tardis Wiard Doctorin' the Tardis Wiard Doctorin' the Tardis Wiard Doctorin' the Tardis Wiard Doctorin' the Tardis Wiard Doctorin' the Tardis Wiard
laserpalace
chamomileshark
Thank you!

Roycie Roller
Thanks for the information. I think based on this, I should be safe :

Quote:
In you(r) case of a 15 volt gate signal, it will "chop off" (limit) the signal to 10 volts, and the output envelope will be 10 volts, just what you want. There should be no problem using the 15 volt gate signal, it will be converted safely to a 10 volt envelope.

I appreciate your advice on the Envelator though. That will probably be my next purchase along with a Classic VCO, although you have my mind racing about the Mixolator! I can't imagine how powerful 4 or 5 modules can be, let alone 7! I've wanted an MC-202 for a while now, but could never make the commitment.

So when performing/recording your 300 system do you usually run it through a limiter or compressor? Or is it just the case of guitar amplification? I've only ran through PA's when performing and my DAW when recording using Euro. The signal is HOT! but can be tamed.
chamomileshark
I put mine through a simple mixer - a second hand Mackie 1604. It's an old habit.
Roycie Roller
laserpalace wrote:

So when performing/recording your 300 system do you usually run it through a limiter or compressor? Or is it just the case of guitar amplification? I've only ran through PA's when performing and my DAW when recording using Euro. The signal is HOT! but can be tamed.

I use a 4 channel CGS d.c mixer to mix the audio, and the output on it is attenuated. I've got one of those dual 1/4" adapters permanently stuck in the output jack, so i can send one side to my amp's bass input (for monitoring), and the other to my laptop's line in jack (for recording).
I don't have an audio interface, but the sound quality is fine.

4 channels is a bit limited though- 20 or 30 channels would be ideal, because there are so many audio sources in the modules.
laserpalace
Officially a part of the team! w00t Now to get over that learning curve... love

Babaluma
beautiful, i am very jealous!
thesnow
laserpalace wrote:

Congrats. Was just wondering, did you buy those new or second hand?
rico loverde
laserpalace wrote:

awesome!!!!!!
laserpalace
Babaluma, rico loverde

Thanks guys! I am floored by the capabilities of these two modules. The timbre/textures that can be achieved are incredible. Never heard anything like it before.

thesnow
I purchased them used from Metalbox, who has been great to deal with!

Here's a simple recording I did using a VOS sequencer to control pitch and gate the envelope. The envelope is cycling through the bank and wave's as well as triggering the Borgs ran in parallel BP mode. LFO2 is ran at audio rate for a secondary voice. I'm in love with this modular! More to come!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/ryan-mcryhew/waveform-city-dual-borg[/s]
rico loverde
very nice!!! the Wiard stuff is just so amazing. looking forward to hearing more from ya. i need to spend more time with mine and record some stuff, too much work not enough Wiard.
thesnow
laserpalace wrote:

Here's a simple recording I did using a VOS sequencer to control pitch and gate the envelope. The envelope is cycling through the bank and wave's as well as triggering the Borgs ran in parallel BP mode. LFO2 is ran at audio rate for a secondary voice. I'm in love with this modular! More to come!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/thug-entrancer/wiard-300-test/s-P5Qqu[/s]

Sounds lovely!
causticlogic
And another!
I got my Borg and a PSU yesterday from a friend. I've had a Wogglebug for months and it's just been sitting there mocking me.
Getting a power supply and seeing everything come to life has certainly been an experience!!
Now I need MORE...
rico loverde
its rad theres been a new group of us getting into Wiard 300. Its been my dream synth for so long I'm still blown away its happening. I think we should do a Wiard comp much like the Serge guys did....
stin-g
It makes me smile you just got the Waveform City and Borg filters in particular Laserpalace! I just got those same two modules - Weee lets have a party! I have a power supply on the way... oooooh I can't wait to get into em! Such amazing instruments.

If there was a fire in my house I'd run in to get a few family heirlooms and my 300 system first. hihi
laserpalace
rico loverde
YES. Seriously let's do a Wiard 300 Comp. I think it would be a great way to demonstrate the variety and richness that the 300 series offers. Just today I managed a Sidrassi influenced patch. To my ears, it sounded just like my Sidrassi! Who's in? I would love to help compile/make this happen.

stin-g
I think they are the perfect introduction to the format! You know today as I smelled something burning from the downstairs apartment I thought, okay I'll grab the dogs, the 808 and the Wiard! lol
kuxaan-sum
Congrats laserpalace,
300 series is what made me want a modular.

Hope to own 3 or 4 panels myself some glorious day.
thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1