MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BOSS re-20 space echo pedal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author BOSS re-20 space echo pedal
matic
Obviously not the same as the original tape delay unit, but wondering if anyone can speak to their experience with the pedal. Also if anyone knows if its possible to control the delay pedal via LFO, env etc through its expression pedal input..

thanks thumbs up
DIVINEAUDIO
Interested to know this as well, I'm looking to replace my RV3 pedal with it.
sduck
I gave one of these a run through while trying to find a decent affordable reverb pedal. I just couldn't find any sounds that I really liked with it.
numbertalk
Doesn't stand up at all to the Strymon El Capistan.
ADAC
I've had great success using this pedal as a feedback dubbed-out delay--mostly on keyboards (rhodes, organs, etc.)

It's not great as a reverb box IMHO, but for degrading infinite delays, it's great for the price.
MindMachine
I really enjoy this pedal. I have not tried the expression input yet. The reverb alone is okay. It is best used in combination w/ the echo. I think that it is great pedal for the price. Very simple to use and sits attached to my Micromoog.
bodo
I've had the real Space echo and the RE-20 for quite some time now (before I 'had' to sell the RE-201 very frustrating

The delay gets pretty close, sure, it doesn't sound as unique as your own RE-201 with its own tape, etc, but can sound really good. The feedback buildup does sound a lot harsher (and a lot more 'resonant') than my RE-201, but it really cuts through.

Never to keen on the reverb of the RE-20, as it's a lot cleaner and doesn't sound anyway near a real spring reverb, but it has it's uses. To me it sounds more like a clean BBD very short delay with some fake stereo spread action going on, which can sound like a chorus effect with some settings.

Very handy and cheap way to dub things up, quite sturdy too. For the price, not too shabby Guinness ftw!
matic
thanks for the responses guys.. gotta love this board... Im not concerned with the reverb aspect, as I have spring and digital verbs... more so the dubby delay sounds...

again, if anyone has specifically tried to use effect the pedal with CV through the exp input, please let me know..

thanks again...
well2thebone
bodo wrote:
I've had the real Space echo and the RE-20 for quite some time now (before I 'had' to sell the RE-201 very frustrating

The delay gets pretty close, sure, it doesn't sound as unique as your own RE-201 with its own tape, etc, but can sound really good. The feedback buildup does sound a lot harsher (and a lot more 'resonant') than my RE-201, but it really cuts through.

Never to keen on the reverb of the RE-20, as it's a lot cleaner and doesn't sound anyway near a real spring reverb, but it has it's uses. To me it sounds more like a clean BBD very short delay with some fake stereo spread action going on, which can sound like a chorus effect with some settings.

Very handy and cheap way to dub things up, quite sturdy too. For the price, not too shabby Guinness ftw!

I always figured the re-201 would sound alot better, but the re-20 would be much easier to work with. Do you find using tape w/ the re-201 to be a pain at all?
bmot
see the thread below for a suggestion on modifying the tap tempo to control it via CV, I guess this would do what you want:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62688&sid=e0ae8400a7 5ca7fc968198e9c3fee13f

I am no modder so haven't tried this on mine
nrdvrgr
While not being fantastic, it is quite good (and sturdy built) for the price.
The reverb is a bit "boring" but has a nice stereo spread. The delay is the best part of it... never heard the real thing, so i can´t compare, but it sounds very nice and old-school.
Norman_Phay
I agree with people who think the reverb on this unit is poor - I think it sounds nasty and I always leave it turned down. The echoes are very good though, they blend with the overall sound or the sound of the instrument very well.
Avjr
Necro thread time.

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for the delays but would be cool if i could use the reverb standalone as well. Mainly to give a stereo mix something of a retro feel.

So question is, is the reverb really THAT bad on this? Should i save up for something like the Avalanche Run or similar and call it a day?
Xmit
I love the reverb on this. I use it all the time on my DFAM.
I mean, it's not like the spring in my Moog Grandmother....but yeah - does the job.

Important note - I'm not any form of 'purist' - I just think this pedal sounds fine. I'm pretty certain the actual delay sounds f*ck all like an actual Space Echo... but it's great.
Rex Coil 7
I've had an RE-20 for a few years now. I typically use it with the 1962 Hammond C3. I took the "paddles" off of it, removed the heavy return spring under each paddle, and reinstalled the paddles. With it configured that way it's super easy to engage/disengage with my hand without having to push on the paddles so hard. I did the same thing to the pair of RT-20 rotary emulators that I use to create the dual Leslie sound that was used in so many recordings and live gigs, especially in the 1970s.

This was the test setup. The two rotary units are in parallel, the Space Echo is before the rotaries (just like how the typical Hammond/Leslie setup is configured ... reverb before rotary). Delay/reverb before the "Leslie" (so to speak). Excellent for those Pink Floyd "Animals" delayed Hammond sounds.

The RE-20 Space Echo is also good for live performance fiddletweekage. I'm in the process of putting together a foot control array to use with the RE-20/RT-20 ensemble.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1