MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiard 300 system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Wiard 300 system
Pascal
I cut straight to the chase, suggested system and layout of modules

Panel 01:
Classic Vco / Waveform City / Mixolator / Borg
Envelator / Sequencer / Mixolator / Wogglebug

Panel 02:
Classic Vco / Waveform City / Mixolator / Borg
Envelator / Sequencer / Mixolator / Wogglebug

total panels 16

I want the Wiard to be used as a stand alone complete system without the need to use other format modules. I have already a monster Eurorack system and I am between a Wiard and Serge system. I am interested in the sonic and synthesis pottentials of a system and want one that is mostly analog based and quality build to last.

what do you think? any suggestions?
sandyb
if you are going to be buying that much, i would suggest starting with one set of 7 modules and see how you get on first.
you may find your decision to basically have 2 of everything changes after actually using the modules for a while.
Pascal
trust this has to do with the density of each panel, but do you believe I have over done it with the panels?
sandyb
possibly. it's hard to say, not really knowing how you work with modulars or intend to use the modules. the 300 series modules are very dense. there's a lot going on there which takes time to discover and it certainly doesn't take 16 of them to form a very capable stand alone system.

it's a personal thing. i have 8 modules (woggle x2, classic vco, waveformcity, envelator, mixolator, sequantizer and borg) which i find is a good size system for me. i mainly use it stand alone.

what i'm really trying to say is that i don't think you should commit yourself to a 300 series setup that big until you've tried the modules first. you may have done so already of course in which case i'll shut up!
slow_riot
yeah 16 sounds overwhelming to start with.

i've picked mine up quite slowly and it's taken a long time to get to know them. You can discover stuff which makes it feel like a whole new system even after you've been using it for a long time.

I would start with 6-8 and take it from there. Add modules slowly after that when you know what you want.

With 16 modules I would just use it like any other synth and not find the treasure.
Pascal
thank you both for your suggestions

sandyb: why have you decided to add a second bug at your system?
thesnow
16 right off the bat sounds ridiculous. crawl before you run.
Pascal
thesnow wrote:
16 right off the bat sounds ridiculous. crawl before you run.

f u
slow_riot
heheh. Partly I'm suggesting not to get 16 straight off becuase I am jealous, but also there is a truth to it. I don't know how much you would find of the Wiard gold without starting slow.

The prices right now are the best you're going to get for a european buyer so maybe it's worth jumping in at the deep end.
fluxmonkey
what kind of music do you want to make?
sandyb
Pascal wrote:
thank you both for your suggestions

sandyb: why have you decided to add a second bug at your system?

oh - i just like random modules a lot and the wogglebug provides so many different random voltages. i don't use it for audio that much. i like having them all doing things in a patch with their rates interlinked using the lfos. having two means i can set very different ranges for the smooth/woggle and use different amounts of clustering for them too which i find useful.
chamomileshark
I was wondering why you were going for 4 mixolators?

If you could get a new controller (2 joysticks + 2 JAGs) you may find that useful.
Pascal
my thought is to use mixolator 1 to mix,pan,fade audio signals and the second one to mix, pan, fade control signals

my general planning was based around a complete function block hence I used the term panel 1 and 2 which are identical.

I would like to hear your view of my planning

is the controller still in production?
HueMonContact
Paskal + Wiard 300 = eargasm
weinglas
+1000
Pascal
Shiro, balancing between a Wiard and Serge system I must admit Wiard has a bigger proximity effect on me. I got the blues
Pascal
thank you both, how you guys see this? any suggestions?
weinglas
Do not own a Serge or a Wiard 300, but from my point of view, sonically it is a matter of taste. The Wiard would be easier to use for me, but the bananas on the other hand are cool, too.

From an economic point of view Wiard became much more interesting for Europeans with their UK location. But you know all these things already, so i can not be of much help anyway ;)
Pascal
bananas are cool and yes moving of production to UK makes it lot easier for someone in the EU to go after it.
revmutt
I would suggest to start out with one panel and see what you are using the most.

I found that I use the Envelator more then the Wogglebug which surprised me. Some modules have taken longer for me to love.
mfirman
I have twelve 300 Series modules and that seems to be more than enough.

I have 2 Mixolators, 2 Wave Form Cities, 2 Sequentizers, 1 Borg, 1 Filter,
2 Envelators, 1 Wooglebug, and 1 Classic VCO.

Sequencing/control may be to only short coming (the 2 Sequentizers
are great but they lack in some areas), but it depends on the music
you are trying to create. An ancillary Noise Ring (not in 300 format)
is also a good addition.

I also have a Serge system. They are two completely different animals.
Both are very, very versatile.
weinglas
You could think about a combination. One panel Wiard with a creature and a WAD and an external Format jumbler. Best of both worlds. And the WAD would be a great addition to every system you have!
Pascal
thank you all for your suggestions, it really helps,

revmutt: agree, besides my blue lust, this is the best thing to do, start up with one of each and then add up. I was quite happy with the organization I had come up with but nothing wrong of having some field experience before finishing the system.

mfirman: thank you for your reply, how do you compare these two since you have them both? what are the areas you think the Sequentizers lack of?

Weinglass: the Creature is something I am also considering or an Animal but this will split my resources and at the end I will have a panel here and a panel there instead of a complete system with it's pros and cons.
Pascal
btw what are the dimensions and the weight of each panel?
chamomileshark
hi, although I said 4 mixolators as they are dual mixolators it is of course 8. I only have the one in a 12 module system and though it woukld be nice to have another it doesn't really limit me. If I need a simple mixer/VCA I borrow one from my Frac modular.

But of course my set up is based on my way of working.

You would need to ask Cary about the new controller - it's quite an important block for me - for example I have 2 sequantisers, 4 oscillators but I can use the JAG to generate further sequences by routing the outputs of the Sequantizers to the X and Y inputs of the JAG.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2