MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

external reset and run step 1 for 4017 based sequencers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author external reset and run step 1 for 4017 based sequencers
Onurty
I am sending clock through Elektron Analog Four to my cd4017 based sequencer. I want the sequence to start from step one, in sync with Elektron, when I press play on Elektron. It's still not clear to me if this circuit will do the job, is this the answer?
diablojoy
Hmm maybe

I don't know the Elektron never played with one
but reading a bit of a blurb on it says there are 4 configurable outputs that may offer a solution -- maybe , well a very big maybe anyway
It would depend on if one of those outputs could be configured to send a short 10V pulse whenever stop is pressed
externally resetting 4017 based sequencers to play step one is a bit difficult , Timing is everything, An external reset signal must be applied at exactly the right time and there is no margin for error
even what I came up with while very close is not exactly 100%
though rare under certain circumstances very occasionally it will still skip step one
Onurty
Well i don’t think there is a way for elektron to send a pulse when stop is pressed but I can arrange two outputs as one being the clock pulse which will start at step 2 and the other reset pulse which will only play at first step. In this case can i do it simply by connecting the reset pulse to the reset pin of 4017? I still don’t clearly understand what this circuit is for, sorry if i am being a noob :( but a short explanation would be very wellcome smile
Kickflip
Onurty wrote:
Well i don’t think there is a way for elektron to send a pulse when stop is pressed but I can arrange two outputs as one being the clock pulse which will start at step 2 and the other reset pulse which will only play at first step. In this case can i do it simply by connecting the reset pulse to the reset pin of 4017? I still don’t clearly understand what this circuit is for, sorry if i am being a noob :( but a short explanation would be very wellcome smile

I've not played with this but I've got a fairly in-depth 4017 sequencer build I want to add this to, because only starting on step 2 isn't any use!

I'm thinking you could add this circuit to the trigger input to convert any input to a pulse.

https://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs24_gatetotrigger.html
diablojoy
Quote:
I still don’t clearly understand what this circuit is for

The problem lies with the 4017 design it was never really optimised to be reset from an external input the main focus was resetting from one of its own outputs. so the reset pin must be forced high at exactly the correct moment which is on the leading edge of the incoming clock pulse. the timing is really critical.

the circuit I came up with basically holds the incoming reset signal until the next clock pulse is seen and then sends the reset pulse to the reset pin.
What would occur otherwise is the reset pulse would reset the 4017 to step one and then the next incoming clock pulse will step the 4017 to step 2 and output that, missing step one entirely.

That's why I asked if the Elektron could output a pulse on stop, what would occur then is when you pressed stop my circuit would hold that reset pulse until such time as you pressed play then as the first clock pulse is received it resets the 4017 and step one is played.
hope that helps
Onurty
Thanks a lot for your replies, i will try to figure out how i solve this issue, or maybe i should try to build a sequencer with another ic (4051 etc.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2